Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to change the oil in my 08 r6 and it has this k&n filter on it. So when I tried to take it off nothing happens. Socket just pretty much spins and now the nut is all rounded off almost. No idea what to try next. Seems as though you can't really even do the "hammer a screwdriver through the filter" to remove on these yamaha's.

Changing oil on my old honda took like 10min. But I can't see how I will ever get this filter off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
I have used those filters for years and never had an issue? Someone must have cranked the fcuk out of it when they put it on! Also did you use a 17mm socket? Tha'ts what the nut size is.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried a 17mm socket and it did nothing. Just ended up rounding off the bolt. Can't seem to get any of my old oil filter removal tools to get it off as there is so little space to work with around the filter. Also tried the screwdriver method but now I just have a bunch of holes in the filter and still can't get it to budge.

Just seems impossible to get any leverage when you only have the front of filter exposed and maybe 1in on top and bottom of it.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pretty much what I had to do. Took me about 1.5hrs to get that filter off. Tried everything. But it is now done. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Most likely one of two things, maybe both.

The gasket was not properly (if at all) oiled and/or the filter was overtightened to OEM Specs.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't Thw Best

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts