Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so put some new rubber on tonight in preparation for the track on monday and i was trying to put my wheel back on and while the wheel had been off the brake pads in both calipers had moved together so much they were touching each other and i had to take the pads out and bleed my brakes in order to get them back far apart enough to put my wheel back on.

what would cause them to move when i didnt touch the lever??

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, bolted them back up while i took my wheels to a friends

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I suspect you touched the lever....:laugh

Either way, you dont have to do that. screwdriver and gently pry in between the pads, one side, then the other. Once you get to a certain point you can almost use your thumbs, but yeah, just push them back in until the pistons go back in. You dont have to bleed anything.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
lol a screwdriver would have done the job..

So many times I've had the wheel off and I press the lever.. it's just like second nature.. I did it on a friends bike when he was changing his tire too, he was pissed it was funny... But with a screwdriver it takes 2 min.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
lol a screwdriver would have done the job..

So many times I've had the wheel off and I press the lever.. it's just like second nature.. I did it on a friends bike when he was changing his tire too, he was pissed it was funny... But with a screwdriver it takes 2 min.
I used to do that shit to my buddies all the time.... I thought one of them was going to have an aneurysm.... He was wrestling a wheel on his CR (dirt) and it was in rough shape... he was having a hard time all the way through and had had a few beers.... He pulls the wheel, turns his back and I pumped that bitch up.... Next thing you know hes sitting there yelling at it, "why the fcuk wont you go in there you fcukin honda piece of shit. God dammit.... Oh, sweet, I pumped up the break....FCUK MY LIFE AND FCUK MY HONDA!!!!" my other buddies and I were dying trying to keep a straight face.... We didnt tell him till like a week later that we had done it... He was like, "thank god because I thought the booze and pot was killing my memory...":laugh

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
It's normal when you remove the calipers. As said above just use a flathead screwdriver to gently push the pads back in. This is what I do when installing the front wheel back on.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
you bled the brakes.... wow. :thumbdown that was a lot of wasted time. 1 min with a screwdriver would have done the trick.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn... that didnt even cross my mind. lol... :dunce:

good news is that i have fresh brake fluid for the track now too :jump

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you over torque the axle nut w/out tightening any pinch bolts is it possible you could bend the forks?
i am thinking that is what happened with me. I cant get the left caliper back on(the bottom bolt hole wont fit behind the fork leg) but the right caliper gos on with a decent amount of space between the brake pads and rotor.

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
If you over torque the axle nut w/out tightening any pinch bolts is it possible you could bend the forks?
i am thinking that is what happened with me. I cant get the left caliper back on(the bottom bolt hole wont fit behind the fork leg) but the right caliper gos on with a decent amount of space between the brake pads and rotor.
Flip the wheel...you are trying to install it backwards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Flip the wheel...you are trying to install it backwards.
This is funny i got your reply as soon as i figured it out. i could've sworn i had the tread facing the right direction didn't think to double check my work.TY

~Another day that i have proven to myself my IQ is below ave...:(

~In my defense
1. first bike
2. first time taking off and installing both wheels.. hehe

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Anyone who has worked on bikes has made newb/dumb mistakes. It's pretty rewarding when you're done though. After you work on bikes long enough you'll start to see and hear the dumb crap done at dealerships and never let someone else work on your bike again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts