Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 13500 miles on my 2001 R6 and, all of a sudden it began to have a hard time starting when cold. With choke on all the way, it'll start from the 3d or 4th try. According to the service manual, I am supposed to replace the spark plugs at 13k, could this be the problem?

Also, my oil light came on very briefly for the first time yesterday -- the oil temp was indicated at 160F -- quite cold. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
304 Posts
interesting......i have a 00 with 14.5k on it. i did a full service on it this spring. new plugs, oil, filter, etc. i had to adjust my idle as well. how long have you had this bike? would be my first ? then we can trouble shoot from there cuz it could be many things..............later

·
Registered
304 Posts
well, when you adjust the choke to start it is it open all the way? i get the best results when i open it up only halfway instead of full boar. i save the full for when its cold...........as far the temp goes i usually run at 180 when driving normal, in traffic i can go as high as 215 starting, stopping, standing still, and if im attempting to stunt (i call it attempting cuz im no good) i can run up to 230 if im hitting it hard.

i would say play with the choke a little to see if that fixes your problem first then start with the more complicated items

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd change the plugs, and have the vlaves adjusted, along with the carbs synched. Who know's if it has ever been done. One of the first give aways from spark plugs going south is hard starting though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, looks like the mystery is solved. This started happening right after my weekend long ride through Wisconsin.. Turns out they add a bunch of ethanol to 89 and 93 octane gas (I was wondering why 87 costs the same or more then 89 there).. As soon as I got all that Wisconsin gas out and filled up with normal fuel, the problems went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts