Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am a new rider so I'm not sure if this is new rider error or not. When going into a turn say on the highway at 55 or above it feels really bumpy/rough now when I back off and slow down even though your not suppose to in a turn it's smooth as butter at 40-45. I did have a blown fork seal and is in the shop now getting fixed and they said everything else checks out fine . So could this have been caused by a bad fork seal or new rider error ? I was told by a friend maybe I'm not leaning enough into the turn and going in and out of the side wall? Any help is appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are you riding on bumpy roads?

Bad fork seals could have played a part but I've ridden with bad seals and gone through corners much faster and never experienced what you're talking about

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they were pretty smooth roads at one point my buddy behind me said it looked like the bike got a little shaky at times. I also forgot to mention that the fork was leaking pretty good. Had fork oil all down the side of my bike all over the front tire and it was just dripping off my caliper. The guys at the shop said maybe the front tire was actually starting to slip? They said my rear tire has at least another 800-1000 miles left in it and the front tire is almost brand new. The best way to really explain how it feels is it feels like there is a flat spot on one or both of my tires but the tires are fine. :confused:

·
Needs a ride to the track
1,115 Posts
I rode on blown seals for a while and never had such a problem. I am wondering if since you are a very new rider if you are not rolling on the throttle smoothly and the bike is just becoming unsettled in the turn? that is what I think of when I hear the bike is shaky in the turns.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did notice the bike being a little shaky even when going straight but, I cant say if that was just slight bumps in the road or what. The bike in general is a smooth ride up until 50ish. I think im pretty steady on the throttle when in turns but I will keep an eye on it when I get the bike back. I even tried slowly accelerating through the turns and had the same issue. I think I may have one of my friends take it for a ride and see if he notices the same thing as me. He has been riding for a few years so hes much more experienced than me. I am also wondering if maybe the wheels are not balanced properly. All I know is its weird and im stumped.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly hope it is just rider error as the shop bill right now is around 600 dollars and the last thing I want to do is put more money into it. I think it is a possibilty maybe im just off in general body position, leaning,turning,throttle I will try to work on those more also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I honestly hope it is just rider error as the shop bill right now is around 600 dollars and the last thing I want to do is put more money into it. I think it is a possibilty maybe im just off in general body position, leaning,turning,throttle I will try to work on those more also.
a good way to check if its rider error is to have a friend ride it that has more experience and see what he says. Also make sure that your suspension is set up correctly, not that its at the softest setting for a 300lb rider or something (I don't know what you weigh).

edit: are your wheels balanced?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a good way to check if its rider error is to have a friend ride it that has more experience and see what he says. Also make sure that your suspension is set up correctly, not that its at the softest setting for a 300lb rider or something (I don't know what you weigh).

edit: are your wheels balanced?
I weigh around 210 lbs, as far as the wheels being balanced I am not 100% sure I just bought the bike back in Febuary and this is my first bike so every day is a learning experience for me. But it is in the shop now and they are looking the whole bike over for me. They have had it since Thursday and said it would be done between Monday and Wednesday and they havent called me yet with any found issues(knock on wood). Once I get the bike back though I will let my friend take it out and see what he says.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
I weigh around 210 lbs, as far as the wheels being balanced I am not 100% sure I just bought the bike back in Febuary and this is my first bike so every day is a learning experience for me. But it is in the shop now and they are looking the whole bike over for me. They have had it since Thursday and said it would be done between Monday and Wednesday and they havent called me yet with any found issues(knock on wood). Once I get the bike back though I will let my friend take it out and see what he says.
Where do you live in upstate NY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts