Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the CA integrated tail light on my 03 R6.
This kit was donated graciously to the site for review by Clear Alternatives. This will serve as the R6-Forum official review. (sounds pretty important huh?) :mrgreen:

Quality of product: Excellent. They duplicated the stock light assembly perfectly, and it was a perfect fit. The only modification I had to do was taking the foam grommets from the stock light to the CA light. They are stuck with adhesive so be careful taking them off.

Ease if installation: Very good. The kit comes with the same plug as the stock light, with the exception of the blinker wires. I had to test the 2 yellow wires to find out which was left and right. I simply touched one to the battery positive terminal, and marked it L or R. If you have any basic electrical savvy, this will only take about 10 minutes to wire up. Since I already have the Rear peg LED blinkers, I wired the yellow wires into my positive lead from my existing blinkers.
If you have stock blinkers, I would reccommend cutting the plug from your stock blinker, and wiring it to the CA wires. (yellow blinker wires)

Visibility: Excellent. The CA lights are very bright, and in my opinion just as bright as the stock light. The turn signals are visible from over 100 yards in daylight. More than enough. The brake lights and running lights are more than bright enough in daylight and at night.

Overall opinion: There are two things I would like to see from CA.
Instructions and to Identify which wire is left and right. Although this wasn't a problem for me, to a newcomer in wiring, this might be a helping reassurance.
I think the overall value of the kit is great. Well worth the pricetag, especially compared to some other lighting solutions.
Although my kit was free, I would buy this product without hesitation.

You can visit their site here: http://www.clearalternatives.com/ as well as the link in our sponsor section on the left side of this page.
They have applications for a wide variety of bikes, as well as many other great products.

·
Registered
353 Posts
thats great!

thanks for the writeup

couple questions though.

1. so you have to take a foam piece off of the stock light and then glue it onto the CA light? sounds easy enough

2. then you just cut off the connector of the stock signal and wire it up to the CA signal wires and plug it in?

if thats it this should be very easy! and i should get my integrator in a day or so

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great!

thanks for the writeup

couple questions though.

1. so you have to take a foam piece off of the stock light and then glue it onto the CA light? sounds easy enough

2. then you just cut off the connector of the stock signal and wire it up to the CA signal wires and plug it in?

if thats it this should be very easy! and i should get my integrator in a day or so
Thanks man.
Yea, the little foam O-rings from where the stock light mounts are put on with adhesive. I just peeled them off and re stuck them on the new light. Didn't even need glue.

And yea, just cut off the connectors from your old blinkers, and wire the yellow wire into the positive wire on your connector. The whole install should only take about 20 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
TexasR6 said:
I installed the CA integrated tail light on my 03 R6.
This kit was donated graciously to the site for review by Clear Alternatives. This will serve as the R6-Forum official review. (sounds pretty important huh?) :mrgreen:
I don't even want to know how you came upon this freebie. hopefully your wife doesn't get jealous over the other guy.... anyways, good review and good advice with keeping the stock connectors. I did just that with stock ones up front. makes it real easy to remove the plastic and remove the lights for future track days and then rehook up the turn signals.

·
I own you
121 Posts
I went onto there website to see how much it would cost for my 04 R6, but the newest one that i could find on there site was for a 2000. Am i looking in the wrong place??? :roll:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, they don't have the new ones listed yet. I think I got a beta to field test. I'll email them and see what's up with it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blinkers are amber. It looks exactly like the avatar on the left there in the ad. That's an 03-04 R6 in the pic.

I emailed Tobin and asked about listing the new products, and also to get me a price on the lights. I'll post it when he responds

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also have this taillight assembly and love it. Have had no problems in the 600 miles I have had it, that includes some time in the rain. It seems to be a quality product. I got mine through ebay for like $70. (04 r6)

·
Registered
353 Posts
well, i just got my CA light in the mail today, and installed it in about an hour

it took me a lil longer because i tried to do everything very neatly.....such as i soldered the connections for the turn signals, i wrapped all the wires in electrical tape, and while i had it apart i cleaned off the frame and under the seat and stuff. the only "hard" part was cutting off the stock connecters and soldering them onto the CA light. and that took about 10 minutes start to finish, including puting heat shink onto the wires.

but i love this.....it was built perfectly, and the connections were very simple and easy........as said before, the only mod needed is moving the foam pieces from the mounting points, and then cut and reattach the connectors.

it was simple....and it works great, i'll get some pics in a couple days

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
I just ordered my CA integrator today and it should be here within 2-3 days. :mrgreen: I was curious what (if anything) people are using to slow the flash rate of the integrator. I'm debating between a flasher relay from Autozone or the expensive flasher relay from libertek. What, if either of these options has everyone experimented with and how were the results. [/url]

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
RedRocket said:
I just ordered my CA integrator today and it should be here within 2-3 days. :mrgreen: I was curious what (if anything) people are using to slow the flash rate of the integrator. I'm debating between a flasher relay from Autozone or the expensive flasher relay from libertek. What, if either of these options has everyone experimented with and how were the results.
There are other threads that talk about replacing your relay with some heavy duty one, but if I was to do this mod, I would just wire in a 6 ohm 30W resistor in parallel with each blinker, this will draw the current your incandescent bulb did and put the proper load on your stock relay.

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
Received mine today and got it installed around 8PM EST so it was already dark. But from what I could tell, the unit was as bright if not brighter than stock. I'll have to check it out tomorrow during the day to see whether or not it looks brighter than stock when the sun is still up.

Did anyone with this integrator try the resistors that they shipped with the integrator? I tested one of them to see how much it would slow down the flash but it seemed to continue flashing at the same speed. I'm debating on going to get a relay from autozone if the fast flash becomes annoying, but I was just wondering if anyone got the supplied resistors to work and how much they slowed it down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i got mine too but havent installed it yet
what resistor are you talking about
cuz mine didnt come with one when they shipped it
does is flash too fast. i'm doing mine this weekend

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine didn't come with a relay, so I'm using the stock one.
Fast flash doesn't bother me, as long as it works, so I haven't messed with changing it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts