Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought i'd let you guys in on my project. Im sure all of ya know how the 02's have the polished frame which i really dislike, so for the past couple days i've been working on changing that. The bike is completely torn down right now to the bare frame.

Whats being done:

Frame/SubFrame/Swingarm
- All exterior welds have been grinded and sanded smooth, with the slight scratches filled in with a polyurethane filler
- All being painted Flat Black

Fairings
- Going Back Full Fairing
- Being painted a Gloss Black (unsure of which black yet)

Suspension/Brakes
-03 R1 Forks and Swingarm (already have)
-03 R1 Brake Components (already have)

Wheels
-03 R1 Wheels(already have)(color undecided) wrapped in Avon AV59 120/70ZR 17 and Avon AV60 190/50ZR17 in the rear

Engine
- Complete bottom end rebuild using OEM Yamaha Parts. Rings, bearings etc

Protection
-Stunt Cage Built by myself

There will be some other goodies added also like Lever, rear sets, sprockets and so on....

ALL work will be done personally by me, as thats how i like things done. Being able to say I did this. I'll be updating with pic's and information as process is made and probably asking opinions on some things as well. Ok, enough jaw jacking for now...I'll keep ya posted

hell, enough talk...here some pics of what been done today....sorry for shitty pics

Finish Painted Frame

Only color that will be on the bike, dont worry bout the painted tire, their being dismounted and getting new rubber tomorrow

ill keep this thread updated over the next couple weeks until its finished

·
Registered
126 Posts
thats alot of work to be done. you sure have a lot of time on your hands
good luck with it, cant wait to see final product

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not that bad, i had the bike broken completely down to the bare frame in 2 hours...it'll go back together slower than that so nothing gets scratched up tho :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wouldn't grinding down the welds make the frame weaker? Great job by the way. Wish I had that much time to work on my bike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it would if the welds were grinded down all the way around, but i only did the face of the frame. also i went in and welded in some support to the inside as well, for a just in case:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and just for reference, this is what it looked like before...str8 stunna bike...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, the polished frame is one reason im doing all this but i also wanted a just about blacked out bike...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
should be complete in 2 weeks...still have some paint work to do and then putting it all back together...waiting on fairings and headlight to come in now...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOOT, the UPS man is great...fairings have arrived :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, change'd my mind a LITTLE, gonna add some color to it....just Black and Red tho...just little things here and there...all bolts will be red

lemme know what ya think about the heel gaurds

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, got the subframe and swingarm finished tonight. Gonna do the Tank and Tail section tomorrow and I'll update with more pics :)

·
yamaha for life
811 Posts
i've subscribed as well. i love it when people build bikes with their own personal touch to it. when everybody has the same bikes it kind of gets boring so its good to have some flavor every once in a while. keep up the good work bro and make sure you post lots of pictures!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah man, ill keep it updated with pics...waitin on a couple things to come in but we know how that can be during the holidays...i see your in raleigh, you should hit me up sometime and check it out...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how bout that rolling chassis

sorry for the shitty pics, i dropped my camera :(

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
i dont want to be a dick but are you rattle canning the bike?spend the cash and get it painted proffesional. get some depth to the paint. your ideas are good, but it doesnt seem to be developing correctly. I hate to dog on it at all just some things that could make it that much better. its already apart so a painter wounldn't be too much. Good luck man. hope it comes together nicely

1 - 20 of 76 Posts