Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cliff notes are in Bold

All these build threads got motivated me to finish my track bike and document the progress from acquisition to completion (which will probably never happen). So I'll be using this thread for posting a few pics and videos from Trackdays this year that I attend as well as the future bike purchases & progress. My next TD is June 11th at Barber.

This is somewhat of a "semi-build" or better yet, like Imaking's thread - "Making it my own." The bike was pretty much built when I bought it in the offseason. Back story on it - TheTrackDayStore.com purchased it from a guy who turned it into a trackbike. It had a small track lowside and they went through it and made sure everything was good (compression, bolts, forks, etc.)

If you look closely, you can see the hole in the Leo Vince Exhaust cap & the scratchs on the lever, broke rearset peg & scratched engine case from where it lowsided. Thankfully, that was the only damage.

Then they added some more parts and replaced broke parts / fluid / pads, etc (for free!) and sold it to me. Here's a list of the goodies it came with...

Mods
Leo Vince full exhaust system
Powercommander 3usb
Ohlins S46PR1C2B rear shock
Forks freshend, revalved and resprung for my weight
GPR V1 damper
CRG C-N-R levers
Cox radiator guard
New Armour Bodies bodywork
Keyless ignition
New 520 chain -1 sprocket 15/45
PSR case guard
Vortex rearsets
Vortex clipons
Vesrah RJL pads
BMC Race Filter
Dunlop GP-A 211s
Safety wired to WERA specs

And here's my past, present & future purchases to come...

Being inspected and upgraded

Delivered to me @ Barber on 4/2

First TD of the season on my "new to me" bike

Like the electrical tape numbers? That'll be changing very soon...

Tested out the Woodcraft sliders and PSR Case Cover
Got a little sketchy on Turn 5 and grabbed too much front brake trying to work on trail braking. Found out that the Woodcraft sliders & case covers are pretty awesome. New Yoshimura covers should arrive today...

Harbor Freight FTW! The Yamaha Racing sticker actually adds 5hp to the trailer :secret

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Time for a new look... had to undress her again...

Paint is done

Time for a mini shoot... Night time:

And Day time:

Meep will be keeping me company this year.
This is how I look anyways when I'm going around the track...

ETI Tank sliders finally arrived and those were painted and installed with the new TechSpec C3 tank grip... Pics to come tomorrow. Yoshi case sliders will be arriving today and also awaiting my Decals & number plates from Kruzel. They should be arriving sometime by next week. Next purchase will be Tire Warmers followed by the Go-Pro & Gas Cap. Stay tuned...

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
ORANGE!!! :toocool:

great bike man

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want a clean garage :(
You have a clean car. Can't have both! And I still gotta get that tile in the background put in the bathrooms. I've been lagging on that for a whole year. Then I can finally Epoxy my garage floor. Sheesh... so much money, so little time.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks purty! Where did you get the case covers from?
TJ @ RidersDiscount :toocool:

Update! Sorry it took so long... :lmao

Case covers came in along with my A* Back Protector & EZ-Up tent.

Installed Case Savers
I had a problem getting one of the screws out since it was flattened in the lowside. Anyone have suggestions? I tried a left-hand reverse bit but that just stripped the inside. It was on too tight. So I just left that screw :thumbdown

I haven't done the other side yet since that cover also has grounded-down bolts. Trying to figure out how I'm going to remove them. I really need to just replace the whole covers with the Woodcrafts, but that'll come later, probably in the offseason if the bike is still in one piece.

ETI Tank Sliders
The only bad thing is that they require drilling through the tank fairing, but that ensures it stays on in a lowside. For 06-07 R6 this is a MUST! Fit was very good. You can't really even tell they are sliders unless you look from above...

Tech Spec C3
Took the bike around the block yesterday. Can't wait to try these out on the track. They have great grip and can also be moved if you want to change their position.

Do you think I have enough posters? :sing

That's it for now... More to come later... :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
sick looking build man. DO WORK kid!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
wow very nice paint job there bro. i really like the color you picked for your bike...

gotta love that pitbull wheel lock, i used the same one when hauling my bike to the track.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Sick bike and sweet documentation. I wish everyone did these.

I had a problem getting one of the screws out since it was flattened in the lowside. Anyone have suggestions? I tried a left-hand reverse bit but that just stripped the inside. It was on too tight. So I just left that screw :thumbdown
If the reverse bit didn't work (and there is some bolt head left) you can try slotting with a dremel and backing it out with a flat screw driver.

If not you can just grind off the head of the bolt and try to back out the threaded stem. If there wasn't locktite used on it it should come out rather easily. Your last option would be to drill out a small pilot hole in the screw and try the reverse bit again.

Or - when you decide to take the case completely off, you can grind off what's left of the bolt head, removed the other screws and take off the case. This should leave about 1/4" of the threaded part of the screw exposed and you could back it out with pliers.

Damaged screws and bolts suck :thumbdown

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
wow very nice paint job there bro. i really like the color you picked for your bike...

gotta love that pitbull wheel lock, i used the same one when hauling my bike to the track.

Man that is a good look right there. I'd have to honk and give you a thumbs up, :wave & :bow if I drove pass you.
And thanks man! I absolutly LOVE the PB Restraint. Just load & lock. I'm all about simplicity.

Very very cool, that's a lot of orange :fact
Yea it is. But it'll be broken up once the decals come in. I need to hit up Kruzel and see how it's coming. That dude stays busy... He was supposed to finish them this past Monday.

But I'm going with the Canadian 08 R6 design. Hopefully, it'll look as good on the bike as it does in my head.

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
Man that is a good look right there. I'd have to honk and give you a thumbs up, :wave & :bow if I drove pass you.
And thanks man! I absolutly LOVE the PB Restraint. Just load & lock. I'm all about simplicity.

Yea it is. But it'll be broken up once the decals come in. I need to hit up Kruzel and see how it's coming. That dude stays busy... He was supposed to finish them this past Monday.

But I'm going with the Canadian 08 R6 design. Hopefully, it'll look as good on the bike as it does in my head.
Hahaha yeah, I like decals. In for updates then :fact

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sick bike and sweet documentation. I wish everyone did these.

If the reverse bit didn't work (and there is some bolt head left) you can try slotting with a dremel and backing it out with a flat screw driver.

If not you can just grind off the head of the bolt and try to back out the threaded stem. If there wasn't locktite used on it it should come out rather easily. Your last option would be to drill out a small pilot hole in the screw and try the reverse bit again.

Or - when you decide to take the case completely off, you can grind off what's left of the bolt head, removed the other screws and take off the case. This should leave about 1/4" of the threaded part of the screw exposed and you could back it out with pliers.

Damaged screws and bolts suck :thumbdown
Thank you! I'll try those suggestions out.

How do you like those case covers? I was thinking of picking up some woodcrafts but they're PRICEY!!! lol
Yea they are... But they look sweet though.

The Yoshi's have a good finish on them. It was between those and the Vortex covers which were $26 more. So I just went with the Yoshi's since it won't be permanent. I wanted black, but they don't make them in that color for the R6 yet. Hopefully I'll never have to try them out, but they should work and do the job if I do. The PSR cover on the clutch side is what convinced me to get a cover for the other side when I had my mishap. Now I just need to get an exhaust slider.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Bike looks sweet. I love the color!!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts