Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Powered by the Dragon
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The only thing I didn't like about the new gen. R6 was the headlights. Not sure why they got rid of the projectors and went back to the reflectors. After talking to others that have done it and reading their "How-Tos", as well as researching other sources I finally got around to doin my own retro-fit this past winter. What I didn't like about others' retro-fits was all the grinding/drilling/cutting of the stock headlights or buying of extra headlight parts. With my mod, no extra holes had to be drilled and the stock reflectors were not touched. The only holes I did have to make were to fit and hide my HID wires. So if I wanted to convert back to stock (not that I'd want to) I could and no one would know that I had ever done a conversion.

First off, I bought two pieces of aluminum sheet metal (cost $5) and made my own mounting brackets. This part took the longest as I had to measure, shape, cut, and file over and over to fit into the headlight units.

You can see the bracket is mounted to the headlight unit using the same plastic pieces that mount the stock reflectors. This way I can adjust the beam using the same screws at the back of the headlight as I would if they were stock. Best part is I didn't have to drill into my headlight unit or use extra screws or bolts.

I then painted the brackets a flat black and mounted my projectors. I got them off ebay and paid about $60 shipped. They are 2.5" Hella HID projectors that came off an Audi A4.

Here's a shot with one stock reflector, and one projector installed:

Both projectors installed (camera flash on):

Next I drilled a hole at the bottom of my headlight unit. I know others drilled a hole under the plastic side covers or in the headlight covers, but I wanted to better hide my HID wires and better protect them from rain or soap & water when I wash the bike.

All wires hidden:

So here's stock when I first got her:

And now...

My 6000K HIDs (lo-beam is crystal white, hi-beam is a little blue cuz it's still warming up):

At night:

flash on:

If anyone is interested, I've got an extra set of projectors to do a retro-fit with. They are Valeo 3" HID projectors which I also got off eBay. I got a couple sets to see which I'd like best for my mod and went with the set I've got mounted now.

·
Powered by the Dragon
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a pic of the cut-off later. I've just been out riding and haven't bothered taking more pics. I still have to fix the beam aim as they're a little high, but they are crazy bright and light up the whole street at night. Street signs on both sides of the road are lit up.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Dude, I love it. Very clean and brilliant idea with making that bracket out of aluminum. I think I just finally decided how I'm going to do my setup. Thanks a ton

·
Registered
749 Posts
Props... When I get newer I plan to do this... Looks great!!!

·
Search Button Nazzi
89 Posts
that looks sweet

·