Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

proper riding technique???

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Smitty33 
#1 · (Edited)
proper riding technique???PICS :)

Been riding for only a year but(not to toot my own horn) i have cought on pretty fast, i meen i put over 7000 miles on this year and im not done yet.

My chicken strips are non existant, but i feel that my body posture isnt the best. I'm an honest guy, active duty army, looking for some honest answers. I welcome all input and will atach a few pics to help out.

GO!!!!!!!! R6 FORUM!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
before everyone gets one me..... :)

yeah i know wheres my gear right....i have a leather icon jacket but my girl was riding with me that day so i let her wear it....plus this ride was basically for pic purposes anyway.....she has such a sweet ----- camera haha

#3 ·
I'm still trying to get to that point. Only been riding for 5 month now, but I'm getting there. Yup you said it about your gear. When I saw the pic I was like damn that elbow. But I guess you also said it, "Scars are better than T-shirts, and the glory last forever! " All in all look good. Ride safe.

#9 ·
it should look something like my avatar lol. youve got great form though. i really wouldnt push any harder without knee sliders tho. with some gear on, you should lean forward and to the left until your inside elbow is really bent (really push yourself off the bike). this is made easier by grabbing your bike with the outside leg, i nearly hook the bike with my leg when i do it. but thats just the "standard" way to do it. it looks like you've got it down cold tho. theres different ways of riding so dont stress too much on it. kinda like multiple world superbike champion Troy Bayliss...

the point of leaning off the bike is so that the bike doesnt have to lean as much. but as you can see troy bayliss just stays right over the top of his bike and drags his foot pegs across the ground.

#11 ·
i have been riding for a few months now and i am just now starting to get off the seat a little bit and i have to say i feel safer{oddly enough} and more confident on my turns, i feel like i am able to control the bike better and go faster through turns. the only problem is now i gotta get some pants with pucks now :) but thats a good problem. For the original poster^^^^ no matter if its for a pic or not wear your gear, i have seen too many friends go down without gear and i have had friends get skin grafs, i know i sound like a spokesperson for MADD but for real, ride safe and think even safer. doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself. congrats on wanting to improve your riding techniques!

#14 ·
You're looking pretty good, you just need to get some gear as everyone else has stated so you can improve yourself further b/c you cant do much more untill you get it.

Not trying to preach but gear is so important to me. I would deffinately get some as soon as possible. I personally wont leave my garage without atleast jeans, helmet, jacket and gloves. Here is a story that I witnessed not long ago.

My best friend about 2 weeks so put some brand new Power Races on his bike for our track day at Buttonwillow that weekend. He unloaded his bike out of his truck and b/c of the angle on his garage he needed to ride his bike into it b/c its very hard to push up it.

He rode his bike like 10' away from his truck to do a U-turn to put it in the garage and before he initiated the turn and going probably 7-10mph his new tire broke loose, kicked sideways, threw him off (he was wearing a tshirt and jeans, no helmet or gear b/c he was just turning his bike around) and his bike slide into a light pole, twisted the front forks, bent the front rim and messed up the triple tree as well as he got some MAJOR road rash on his elbows, knees, back and thought he broke his wrist and went to the doc about it.

That was only at very low speed. It was a freak accident and when I saw it I kept replaying it in my head and couldnt beleive I had just seen that. Gear gives you tons of confidence, even going from my crappy 2-peice suit I had to going to my 1peice. I wrecked on the track twice both at pretty high speeds and both times I walked away without a scratch.

#15 · (Edited)
I disagree....your body position is horrible......I think that is the single biggest mistake new riders (including myself) make when trying to drag knee. Your trying to countersteer the bike into enough lean to allow you to drag knee instead of leaning your body by hanging off properly....disaster waiting to happen especially with no gear!!! Track day is a must!!!

#18 ·
Here is the deal. You are doing f-n great on getting the lean angle. You could probably drag you'r elbow if you had GOOD FORM. Your form is horrible. you are way on top of the bars putting a liitle to much forward bias on the front tires no doubt. This will lead to an eventuall tuck. Sit further back on the seat put you'r chest ON THE TANK and try to put you'r head in line with where the mirror is. Get a whole but cheeck off the seat stick you'r leg out and you will get a really nice skeeeeesssshhhh and a vibration in you'r leg. You will probably find that you will execute the same turn with a lot less lean angle, which means that you will be able to go faster with out losing traction than you'r current approach. Then when you need that crazy lean angle you will at least know you can do it.

#19 ·
+1. Too many people worry about lean angle and strips. As you lean of the bike and get faster, you will use less lean angle and you may have strips until you push a little faster. Wait until you get a new set of tires. You may go for a ride and come back with strips even though you are now faster than you were when you lost your strips the first time. Being smooth and under control should be you main goal. The speed and lack of strips will come soon after. Also, as a side note, I have 12,000 miles on my bike and I got it in March. So 7,000 miles in a year is good but I know some guys that put 15,000 a year on their bike, all canyon miles. Anyway, be safe and learn a much as you can. We all are still learning and getting better/faster each time we ride.

#23 ·
I followed a bunch of guys through some twisties and when we were all done I still had my "chicken strips" and the others didn't.... I was told that my form must of been good and I didn't have to lean the bike to take the same turns others were by leaning it harder due to lack of form...

I wish I could have pics of me riding turns. Track day in January will show where I'm at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.