Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post from maddagascar a few minutes ago and figured that I'd bring this topic up since I haven't seen it discussed.

What is the proper way to come out of a fish-tail? I've run in to the issue one time coming around a bend and out of a quick reaction ended up locking my back brakes while coming up on an intersection.

I ended up simply squeezing the clutch, letting off the throttle, squeezing my tank with my legs, and simply riding it out. At first, if I remember correctly, when my rear locked up I was trying to pump it. Then as I slowed up I started easing off both brakes and I ended up coming out of it and slowly coming to a stop.

Funny thing is I was riding with BkR6Rider and he thought I was trying to smoke my tires and squid out! lol.

So.....on that note, what do you all think is the best way to come out of a fish-tail?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Pray

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL

Seriously though when I see dudes on t.v. racing it always seems that they almost lean out of it by going in to a turn or something. At least that's how it looks to me.

There has to be a proper list of things you do to get out?!?!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,234 Posts
Lay off the rear brake. Let the front brake do the work.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
From the MSF course they say keep them locked until you slow down enough or come to a stop if you dont know whats slow enough. Reason being, the reason your fish tailing is because your rear tire is trying to realign with the bike. Letting off the break will make it straight but it may do it violently, and abruptly causing you to either high-side or thrown off. Like I said the MSF course said to do this. Now personally I've locked it up and let off of the rear breaks, but not at speed so it may do exactly what they said at MSF, just try not to lock them up lol. I actually use rev matching or blipping the throttle to slow down in case of an emergency in combination of breaking.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
When in doubt...gas it out:fact
From the MSF course they say keep them locked until you slow down enough or come to a stop if you dont know whats slow enough. Reason being, the reason your fish tailing is because your rear tire is trying to realign with the bike. Letting off the break will make it straight but it may do it violently, and abruptly causing you to either high-side or thrown off. Like I said the MSF course said to do this. Now personally I've locked it up and let off of the rear breaks, but not at speed so it may do exactly what they said at MSF, just try not to lock them up lol. I actually use rev matching or blipping the throttle to slow down in case of an emergency in combination of breaking.
These.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts

thats what ive always done on the road, but...

i locked it up and backed it into a turn twice at the track last week by opening the throttle back up and releasing the brake at the same time. it might not be the right way, but it was my only option except overshooting the turn and ending up going off the track and down the hill guaranteeing a crash

·
My R6 eats Cookies.
238 Posts
Lay off the rear brake. Let the front brake do the work.
Back break is dangerous on the six. I fishtailed once (same week I got the bike) and I just kept counter-steering in the same direction as the back wheel would go (kinda like backing it in). While not on the gas, I finally got traction on the back tire and the bike straightened up.

I was only doing about 50 though.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts

i locked it up and backed it into a turn twice at the track last week by opening the throttle back up and releasing the brake at the same time. it might not be the right way, but it was my only option except overshooting the turn and ending up going off the track and down the hill guaranteeing a crash
Pics or BS

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Pics or BS
it was in no way intentional... both times i was trying to decrease my braking distance by A LOT and fcuked up.

i wish the photographer had access to turn one b/c i would have loved to see the "oh shit" look on my face!!! :lmao

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
it was in no way intentional... both times i was trying to decrease my braking distance by A LOT and fcuked up.

i wish the photographer had access to turn one b/c i would have loved to see the "oh shit" look on my face!!! :lmao
Haha, I thought you meant you were pulling one of these.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I'm talking about when you lock up your brakes and start fishing left and right.
stop using the rear brake and learn some better front brake technique.

In a panic brake situation... you would be unloading the rear suspension anyways...which makes the rear brake ineffective for stopping power.

Best suggestion would be to find a deserted road and zip tie your forks.
See if you can panic brake from >60mph+++ and fully compress the front forks.
You dont grab... just squeeze! :lmao

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts

That sounds like that would work simply because when giving throttle to the bike, it stabilizes the back end. (you can feel it digging into the ground abit) So in theory that probably would work, but would it be my first option probably not seeing as how if you locked up the rear you are probably trying to stop soon lol and not gas it haha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts