Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a knock of GPR. Its leaking oil. Needs new orings. I have it ripped apart but im not sure the oring sizes. I tried some from the auto parts store but they dont fit right.

They offer no service that i can tell so im on my own. Anybody rebuilt one of these things. I got an email into them but no response yet.

This damper appears to be the same size as GPR from what i can tell. I just need to get it working so i can get some use out of it.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
A steering damper is probably not something that you want to reassemble/fix if you don't know what you're doing. What happens if it locks up on you?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha. Well played.

Its not for the panigale. For the r6. R6 is a beater track bike.

Its actually a really simple device. Not complicated at all. I just need the orings. Not too worried about it locking up. Parts are in good shape other then the orings.

Actually bought this used off a forum member. Even gpr seeps oil. Common. U can send gprs back for service. This damn thing seems to have no support.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New these things are 350. Not exactly cheap but yeah no support not a good sign. Lol

Seems to work ok. Just fkn leaks. Lol

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
New these things are 350. Not exactly cheap but yeah no support not a good sign. Lol

Seems to work ok. Just fkn leaks. Lol
Just use some stop leak. Or copious amounts of rtv

Also, Ace Hardware usually has a ton of orings. Also, fuel injection shops... And any hydraulic repair shop

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im sol. They dont service these things.

Wow. Oh well got screwed on that deal.

Only hope is find oring size myself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the oring size isnt exact the thing does not work right. I had to put the originals back in.

Well screw this thing.

So whats the best out of these 3?

Gpr, pitbull or scotts?

There all the same price.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love my pitbull damper, and free rebuilds every 2 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that one caught my eye. I have heard mixed reviews on gpr. But i had one on my old r6 and it was fine.

Pitbull looks good though.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong, but both the pitbull and the scotts are essentially the rotary ohlins. The Scotts was originally designed by ohlins if I remember right and scotts marketed and sold it. Either way, they are essentially the same. I think the pitbull is based off of this design, but I might not have correct info there. As for the GPR, I have a V1 and have had it for quite a few years now and never had any issues. Its not my favorite, as I prefer reactive damping to constant damping.

I haven't ridden with the ohlins, but I have owned both the GPR and the Scotts, and for me, it was no comparison, the Scotts was by far my favorite. It keeps things light until you get some solid headshake, which it handles right away. And it just seemed to give a little bit more fun and feedback. Both are more than adequate though.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
pitbull is the nicest folks of the bunch. I could write a whole book on what they've done for the domestic motorcycle scene.

PSR is complete hack/knock off garbage. I would not use their shit if it were free & I would belittle anyone that had their products.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pitbull is the nicest folks of the bunch. I could write a whole book on what they've done for the domestic motorcycle scene.

PSR is complete hack/knock off garbage. I would not use their shit if it were free & I would belittle anyone that had their products.
Im finding out they have zero customer service, their shit leaks and its a copy of gpr.

Trust me im regretting buying this.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
So whats the best out of these 3?

Gpr, pitbull or scotts?

There all the same price.
I have all 3. Pitbull on my 08, GPR on the wife's 05, and Scotts on my GSXR but just transferred to my CRF. I like the Scotts the best. Really top-notch quality, and it's the only one that has both high speed and low speed damping circuits.

However, I don't like that on the R6 the Scotts requires drilling the frame to mount it. My Pitbull used to have the old mounting bracket which also required drilling the frame. The previous owner jacked up the threads to the point that I bought the new style bracket, because you have to remove those bolts every time you want to lift the tank, and it got worse every time I did that. The frame is not that thick and I just don't feel comfortable with how little material there is for the threads to bite onto, and it's too thin to repair. So before shelling out for Scotts, go to their website and read the install instructions for your bike and decide if you're comfortable with that.

Pitbull will refresh theirs for free (I thought every year, but maybe it's every 2) and only charge you shipping, which is pretty cool. Changing the oil on the Scotts is pretty easy, and the $7 bottle of oil should be enough for 4 or 5 changes. In my experience, both of them offer excellent customer service. I haven't messed with the GPR yet or had to contact them for anything.

I think they are all good products, and I'm happy with all of them. The only other difference I can think of is the knob on the GPR is too stiff and difficult to grip in order to adjust it while riding. The others can be adjusted while riding easily.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts