Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what a day what a day! got pulled over today coming home from work riding with just a permit. I should've rode with someone with a license i know i know. but i was an idiot. Luckily my bike wasn't towed. I just received a summons for riding without a license and here comes the funny part. The Lieutenant had another officer ride my bike to the precinct were i had to follow and call someone with a license to ride my bike back. The officer jumped on my bike, i offered him my helmet but he said he didn't need it. I see him hop on with his gun hanging off my seat and see him ride off on my bike. Wish i was able to take a picture. I'm so thankful it wasn't as bad as some cases i've heard where they tow ur bike away and ur sitting on the curb helpless. But I've learned to realize that when u have a gut feeling not to ride on a certain day u should just leave ur bike parked in ur garage, there's always tomorrow. I just didn't listen to my intuition. Lesson learned

·
MY MV EATS MY R6
10,744 Posts
get your license dude i paid like 40 bucks and rode a honda moped around a few cones and there it is all done

·
My R6 is Famous!
1,324 Posts
What state was this!? In Pennsylvania u suppose to ride your bike without a person the only restrictions is no riding from sun down to sun up!!! I've had my permit for 3 months now and I ride on occassion without a helmet and also thru the restricted times! that sucks for you thank god i don't live where u do!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, what state are you in? In PA, you can ride alone with just a permit from sun-up till sun-down provided you have a valid license for another class of vehicle. If you don't, then you'll need to ride with another M licensed rider.

·
Registered
61 Posts
3 month permit??? We get 30 days and that is it in NH.

I wouldnt drive outside of the limits of a permit either, $250 fine and 3 points, no thanks.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
CT- Helmet, no passengers, no out of state, no night riding.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Fl- No passengers- no out of state.

No restriction on time of day when I got mine, like 15 years ago though...lol

No helmet as long as you have $10,000 in liabilty, but thats min for insu here in FL.

But here in FL you do not need insu to ride on the streets!!! There is no law saying you need it on a motorcycle.

Only need it if you want to ride without a helmet or if your paying your bike off and thats a loan company thing not a law.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
take the MSF course when you successfully finish you will get a license.

also if your only riding with a helmet you need some more gear. gloves at minimum, but highly suggested (imo necessity) for every ride is also jacket and boots..... trust me its worth it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
why the fak would some of you guys ride a crotch rocket without a helmet? sure i've done it around the parking lot but i'd never do that on the road...

anyways. i rode a few months on my permit and finally got into the MSF course last weekend. it's not just about getting a license, you will be a better rider when you finish. the excercises in that course that i got to do on someone else's bike inspired 10X more confidence in my riding than i had before i started. i got to test how far i could lean the bike and counterweighting and all that and not worry about dropping a new $9k bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
SC - you can ride sun up to sun down with permit...and it is given for 12 months. Many folks there ride with permit only.

IL - you can ride sun up to sun down but must be 21 and over and ride with a license driver. the rules are different for those under 21.

Best thing to do is get your license. Also they only take the BRC for licensing purposes, I took the ERC back in 2001 when I was in the military in SC because it was required to ride on base. However, since the base scheduled the courses for active duty and DOD civilians they enrolled everyone in the ERC, but forgot to acknowledge that a requirment to take the ERC is a license. Anyways...needless to say there were a lot of folks who were disappointed afterwards when the DMV wouldn't take the course for licensing. So beware of the ERC until you have a license already.

I got my license on the R6, not too difficult, but not easy...

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
In NY u have to ride at least a quarter mile within someone with a license. It is valid for 1 year. I am driving with my permit while I take my road test(July 29).

I also have a license from another country which would work by itself if I wasn't a USA citizen. But with the foreign license and permit hopefully I wont get to much shit if I get pulled over. There is no way my bike is sitting there for a month while I get my license.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
yeah... I wonder what state that is too. Some states require you to be within a certain distance of a Liscenced rider if you are on your permit? That is a good Idea, but what if you can't find a M Class Driver to ride with you EVERY time you want to go out.
I would also like to know what he got pulled for. It's not too often (BUT IT DOES HAPPEN) that someone just gets pulled becuase they're on a permit... Cops don't have wallet x-ray visoin knowing that you ONLY have a permit.
Oh well. You live and you learn. Next time do what's right

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
The state makes you ride 2-up, or with licensed rider on another bike?

Either way it's odd.

-D
I don't think he meant he had to ride Two up with a liscenced Person. I think that he meant he has to be accompanied by another liscenced motorcyclist on his ride.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
I got nailed for speeding and hidden license plate. Then, when he found out that i only had a permit (I was riding on the freeway) he freakin impounded my bike. But, he let me off on the speeding (which is a moving violation and hurts your insurance). Impound fees= $250 MSF course= $250. It was supposed to be another $250 for the ticket, but they let me off since i got my license. And I got the hidden license plate signed off. All in all = ***T

CA- 12 month permit. No riding at night, on freeways or with a passenger.

·
Sexy Time
757 Posts
^ Hey BT How "hidden" was your plate, where and how did you have it mounted? Also any pics of it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
in VA you're supposed to be close enough where a licensed motorcyclist may "assist" you. how the hell they think that's possible while you're riding a bike is beyond me. are they supposed to be close enough to hit your brakes for you!?! IMO the only way to learn to ride is to go out and do some riding yourself. the law was probably made by some suits who have never been on a bike anyways.

got my license now though so i don't have to worry about that shit anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts