Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my front wheel back on after having my tire changed. This is the first time I have ever taken my wheel off on my own.

The problem I'm having is that I feel like the brake pads are much tigher then they were before.
Without the calipers on, the wheel spins freely
With the calipers on loosely, you can hear the pads touching the rotor, and the wheel doesnt spin quite as freely
With the calipers tightened up, the pads rub more and the wheel barely spins at all. Its not stopping it from turning, but its holding it from spinning freely.

Any tips on what I should check?
any help would be appreciated!

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
dude.... its normal....

tighten everything to TORQUE SPECS. of course the pads are going to rub agains the rotors, that's their JOB.

you are probably getting about a half turn to a turn at the most with everything tighted to spec. that's perfectly fine.

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
yep, daredevil is right. They rub and that's what they do. It definitely feels tighter and metal on metal scraping. I just came in from putting both my tires back on with new rubbers.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats good news! thanks guys!
i just remembered it spinning a lot more freely...
i appreciate the input!!

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
thats good news! thanks guys!
i just remembered it spinning a lot more freely...
i appreciate the input!!
It's a great question Catch. It is normal as previously stated. Pads actually always have some pressure on the rotors. But it's great to see you are working on your bike. You will learn more about her that way.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
If you wanted, you could compress the caliper pistons slightly (as if you were changing pads) and then put the wheel on. Just make sure you pump up the brakes before you go anywhere on it. But it sounds pretty normal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts