Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Oct 2nd was my last track day. And it was a blast. After two instructor groups I felt good enough on the bike and knew the line well enough to go it alone. Well I ended up getting my knee down twice and it freaked the hell out of me both times. I didn't think I was far enough over when it happened. What tips or trick do you guys have for judging when you’re far enough to put your knee down? And how do you react to it? I'm a newbie on the track and now just waiting till next year. :(

·
OMRRA #79
1,393 Posts
My biggest tip is to just stop thinking about it! If your are just out trying to get a knee down and thats what your are thinking about thats a recipe for disaster! You have way to many things to think about to be worried about trying to get off the bike or OVER lean into a corner. Just do what feals natural and all of a sudden you wont be able to get your knee off the ground and you will be pissed at the fact your are having to buy knee pucks every trackday!

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the thing I wasn't thinking about it and when it did happen it freaked the hell out of me because I wasn't ready for it and almost lost the bike both times due to not being prepared for it. I'm not trying to get my knee down just trying to get smoother and faster every time I'm out. Just trying to learn how to adjust to the feeling of when it happens and trick to deal with it when it does from other track guys.

·
OMRRA #79
1,393 Posts
You will definatly get use to it the more it happens. I also found myself using it as a crutch as my riding got better and faster! I still keep my knee on the ground way more then I should, it just seems to keep my mind at ease knowing exactly where the lean angle of my bike is through whole corner.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
my lap times are faster when i dont drag knee, plus then i have to buy new pucks every other weekend or so.

you'll get used to it, and then not care when you do it and even to the point of trying not to do it...

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
i freaked out the first couple times it happened as well. eventually when it happens all the time you dont even think about it and you are able to stay focused on everything else. Its like with everything else, the more you do it, the more comfortable you are.

·
Registered
673 Posts
ive never touched a knee or been to a track day either :( but how fast are yall going when you do touch your knee?

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
Depends on the turn/track
this. ive had my knee down at over 100mph and im sure on the slower side as well, 50-60 dont really know.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
but how fast are yall going when you do touch your knee?
i think this quesetion would be a little hard to answer, not sure about the rest of you guys but i'm too busy looking into the turn to look down to see how fast i'm going. well, unless you have a gopro that captures your speed for you to check out later on. :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
my speedo is disabled.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
If you in a parking lot and doing circles around a light pole or with cones. you can get your knee down at around 30 mph, I've gotten my knee down at around 70 MPH I never let my knee drag on the ground tho....
be crazy to do that in jeans.:sing

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
It's supposed to be used as a "gauge" on how far you are from the ground and/or how much tire contact you have rather than an "eraser". Remember different tires also have different lean angles. My .02

Robin

·
ARMADA
1,038 Posts
Don't think about it. Just concentrate on your riding and eventually you'll get your knee down. Took me several trackdays before i got my knee down. Now, I dont really wanna drag anymore because pucks cost money..hahaha

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
Don't think about it. Just concentrate on your riding and eventually you'll get your knee down. Took me several trackdays before i got my knee down. Now, I dont really wanna drag anymore because pucks cost money..hahaha
THIS :fact

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,764 Posts
I didn't read all the posts, but I'll throw my .02 into the pond..

It aint about forcing your knee down. It's not even about concentrating on where your knee is. If it touches, it touches. If not, not big deal. Like TFS said, it depends on the corner/speed.

Don't concentrate on having your knee in the position to scrape it on the ground. It'll come naturally and it won't happen every turn :fact

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
I didn't read all the posts, but I'll throw my .02 into the pond..

It aint about forcing your knee down. It's not even about concentrating on where your knee is. If it touches, it touches. If not, not big deal. Like TFS said, it depends on the corner/speed.

Don't concentrate on having your knee in the position to scrape it on the ground. It'll come naturally and it won't happen every turn :fact
:BS unless you are tall like me and they drag in a straight line

1 - 18 of 18 Posts