Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking into getting a new chain a sprocket set for Christmas. I know about 520 vs 525, -1/+2 vs stock, aluminum vs steel, and all that jazz, but what the heck is the difference between X chains and W chains and O chains?

And I did search for this but found nothing. :sing
Thanks!

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
honestly, i feel most of it is marketing hype. supposedly the x ring chain seals better and produces less friction than the o-ring. then the w-ring is supposed to do an even better job at it.

for me, i run the x-ring chain(ek mvxz) and really like it. it has over 9500 miles on it and still looks brand new

i am sure someone who knows more will chime in though and be able to explain the o/w/x/whatever-ring chains better

·
let her scream
71 Posts
its the shape of the "o-ring" instead of being an O if you look at it sideways it looks like either a w or an x never heard of a z ring but im sure someones got it. i run the x because it was middle of the road price wise.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm getting the EK MVXZ (from motomummy) from the gf for xmas so I was just curious if there was any extra maintenance involved or info I needed to know about them. Thanks guys

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I think I'm getting the EK MVXZ (from motomummy) from the gf for xmas so I was just curious if there was any extra maintenance involved or info I needed to know about them. Thanks guys
i clean and lube mine with wd40 every 250 miles or so(probably overkill, but i get wd40 dirt cheap). takes about 2 minutes and its done. nothing special other than that. keep the chain to the proper tension too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks. That's pretty much how I treat my current chain anyway so I'll just keep that up.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
There are lots of distributors of chains out there... I'm just sayin'.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
There are lots of distributors of chains out there... I'm just sayin'.
Get it?

:poke

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
This is a normal O-Ring that is used in O-Ring chains:

This is an X-Ring cutaway that shows it's x like sealing surface:

This is a W-Ring cutaway. As you can see it has a w shape:

The O-ring styles are usually attributed to the quality of the chain. O being the worst and W being the best. To be honest the chain is identical with the exception of the O-Ring that is used. O-Ring chains don't seal as well as the X and W ring chains and as a result will have a lower expected chain life. The W-Ring chain has the best sealing properties and will have a longer chain life expectancy.

Do not be fooled though. This does not mean that an O-Ring chain is not as good as the X or W chains. It only means that it has a lower life expectancy. Any of the chains will perform equally well, the only difference is the life expectancy. O being the lowest and W being the longest.

The cost of the chain is proportional to it's life expectancy. An O-Ring chain will be cheaper than a W-Ring chain. The cost of the W-Ring chain may not be worth it in all cases. A track going bike that has a low chain life anyway, may benefit from using a cheaper O or X ring in a cost benefit analysis. A road going, commuter bike, may be better off with the W-Ring chain for it's extended life.

The X-Ring chain is a good compromise of the two and will provide great results at a good price. I use X-Ring chains for my track bike and spend on average about $70 dollars on a chain that lasts me a year. I could use and O-Ring chain, but don't feel I could get a years use out of it. The reduced cost of the O-Ring chain is of no benefit. A W-Rings chain would provide no gains for me since I would not get much more life from the chain at the extra cost. I ride track only and the extra life the W-Ring chain would provide me is not worth the extra cost of the chain. For an average rider an X-Ring chain is the best bet. A rider that is going for cheap replacement and doesn't ride a lot may go for an O-Ring chain for best bang for the buck. A rider that places many miles on his bike and wants to extend replacement time, should consider the extra cost of a W-Ring chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts