Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my wheels off my bike to get new tires put on. Afterwords I put my front wheel back on and when I tightened the brake calipers to 25ft lb like the manual says the wheel barely is able to turn because its rubbin on the calipers. When the bolts are loose like hand tight the wheel spins freely. Is it ok to leave caliper bolts slightly loose? Because my front wheel is way to restricted when I tighten them down

·
Nunn shall pass
58 Posts
Under no circumstances should you leave the caliper bolts loose, they WILL vibrate loose, and possibly leave you with no brakes. There is a reason that all race bodies enforce the lock wiring of caliper bolts.

Did you put the wheel back on the right way? Check that the arrow on the wheel and tyre are pointing the right way - it should be pointing forward when at the top of the wheel. Get hold of a workshop manual, make sure that any spacers or collars are on the right way - my old CBR 400 race bike had differently sized spacers for the front, and putting them on the wrong sides resulted in exactly what you describe.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
That's weird that your front wheel won't spin as freely when you tighten the bolts to spec. And no do not keep your caliper bolts loose, that is a very bad idea. Another note, make sure to use some threadlocker or some safety wire to keep those bolts from coming loose.

Are you sure your forks are not binding inward? This happens when you tighten the axle nut. You can't really see it with your eyes, but they may be like "l /" instead of like "l l" ever so slightly. This can cause the front wheel to not spin as freely as it should.

Try loosening up your front axle pinch bolts and pull the forks apart or bounce the front end up and down a few times and see if it helps.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
Under no circumstances should you leave the caliper bolts loose, they WILL vibrate loose, and possibly leave you with no brakes. There is a reason that all race bodies enforce the lock wiring of caliper bolts.

Did you put the wheel back on the right way? Check that the arrow on the wheel and tyre are pointing the right way - it should be pointing forward when at the top of the wheel. Get hold of a workshop manual, make sure that any spacers or collars are on the right way - my old CBR 400 race bike had differently sized spacers for the front, and putting them on the wrong sides resulted in exactly what you describe.
Or maybe this, check your spacers

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Axle nut or maybe you need to push the pads in a little bit. And NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave caliper bolts loose. You could die and dying probably sucks.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i 2nd the "dying sucks" comment, as well as the wheel is likely on backwards comment.

spacers are non directional, you can put either one on either side, the wheel must go 1 way. A fast way i tell, is the closed part of the bit "spokes" should face the direction of rotation.

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's weird that your front wheel won't spin as freely when you tighten the bolts to spec. And no do not keep your caliper bolts loose, that is a very bad idea. Another note, make sure to use some threadlocker or some safety wire to keep those bolts from coming loose.

Are you sure your forks are not binding inward? This happens when you tighten the axle nut. You can't really see it with your eyes, but they may be like "l /" instead of like "l l" ever so slightly. This can cause the front wheel to not spin as freely as it should.

Try loosening up your front axle pinch bolts and pull the forks apart or bounce the front end up and down a few times and see if it helps.
Can I pull them apart by just loosening the pinch bolts? Or do I need to loosen axle nut too?

·
Nunn shall pass
58 Posts
Can I pull them apart by just loosening the pinch bolts? Or do I need to loosen axle nut too?
I've been racing for some years now, have taken the front wheel off different bikes dozens of times (at least), and I've never seen the condition that wutsup is describing. I'm going to start looking for a bookmaker to take money on it being the wheel on backwards

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol guys the wheel wasn't on backwards. I figured it out it was somethin to do with the forks binding. I loosened axle bolt and pinch bolts lowered the wheel on the ground and then tightened axle bolt and it made a world of difference. The manual tells you to put wheel on ground when tighten ing axle bolt it must be so the fork doesnt go inwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts