Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to all the haters who think its dumb and you loose your handeling ect please keep your coments to your self please.

The reason i want to lower it is that due to an accident a few weeks back i cant touch properly since i cant straighten my left leg all the way and before the accident i could only tipy toe on a good day so this is to allow me to keep riding and rebuild my confidence.

Ok so i want to install the 2" vortex lowering links today, now my question is how much should i drop the front end to keep the bike roughly the same? i know ill loose some twisty ability but thats fine for me im new to riding and this is a temporary thing till i get comfotable with the bike. anyway just want some honest feed back from a pro or expert or w/e on how much the front end should be droped thanks.

Boose
:menace

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Wouldn't be able to tell ya man. Good luck tho! I like the look of a lowered bike, but I'm still gonna say it, I love my handling :D Hope it all works out for ya...

Oh btw,
I shattered my fibula and cracked my growth plate in my ankle in a spiral (It looked like a cinnamon roll) My right leg is shorter than my left and I dont have as much flexibility in my ankle, so I rest solely on my left leg at stops. See if you can maybe find a way to work around your injury than let it debilitate you, besides...you only spend 1% of your time on a bike sitting at stops:rolleyes: good luck man

·
burrr
158 Posts
anyway just want some honest feed back from a pro or expert or w/e on how much the front end should be droped thanks.

Boose
:menace
what do you think a pro or expert would tell you? Don't lower it! But if you want to keep the same geometry you would have to lower the front 2" also:menace

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would like to know how many of the lowered bike haters have been on a lowered bike. I had my 6 for about a month before I lowered it. After lowering it the only thing I noticed different was tank slap. After minor adjustments slap was gone. Still corners great. I just hate to hear "don't lower your bike it will handle like shit." If done properly it will still handle very well. Not everyone has the luxury of being 6 feet tall, so modifications need to be made. I happen to like the ability to firmly plant both feet on the ground when stopped. If someone wants to lower their bike or do any other mod you should be more focused on finding a solution than ranting about how bad of an idea you think it is. Anyway, I lowered 2 inches in the back then slid the Trip clamps down 2 inches. If it feels odd in the corners adjust a little (trial and error) Just be careful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ding greatly apreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm an 18 yr old Female, 5'-1" short and about 90 lbs. I just got a 2002 R6 and I'm getting it lowered at the dealer right now. I can let you all know how it handles when I get it back. My last bike was a 250 Ninja and I had it lowered about 3". I couldn't have ridden at all without lowering it. I know that the two bikes are not even similar at all, but I want a bigger, faster bike. So I say...if you want to ride a bigger bike, and you're short...lower that bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm an 18 yr old Female, 5'-1" short and about 90 lbs. I just got a 2002 R6 and I'm getting it lowered at the dealer right now. I can let you all know how it handles when I get it back. My last bike was a 250 Ninja and I had it lowered about 3". I couldn't have ridden at all without lowering it. I know that the two bikes are not even similar at all, but I want a bigger, faster bike. So I say...if you want to ride a bigger bike, and you're short...lower that bike

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I will step up and say that am a lowered bike hater, but not for the way it looks. It looks cool, I admit, but I follow the adage "Form Follows Function" and I like to be able to go over speed bumps, not hammer my plastic or my rediculously overpriced exhaust, or better yet smash my oil pan which in turn douses my tire with oil and makes me a road ornament. If you are a town cruiser, no, you will never notice the difference in handling. If thats your thing, do it. If you want to keep your bike at it handling max, simply do not lower it. If you disagree with me on that, I invite you to not take my word for it, call up the suspension pro (not your buddy out of his garage, but a real pro, Dave Moss of catalyst reaction, for example) and ask them what their opinion is.

Dingosmitty: I have been on many lowered bikes. I have an 05 636 that is slammed for drag racing. I lowered my 2008 r6 with the same 2 inch drop Vortex links mentioned so my woman could race it while the 636 had the tranny fixed (Kawi cannot make a tranny for crap, BTW). I took them back off yesterday after having it that way for three weeks and it is SO SO SO much nicer back up high. The only way I would agree with suspension changes for height is if it has been done internally. Professional shortening, however, is much more expensive than some cheap ass links, but retains the performance of the suspension (for the most part). How's it go? "Cheap aint good and good aint cheap" Also, to short is no excuse in my book. I dont have to go through the list of people who straight manhandle their bikes with not much height to work with, and not just in streetbikes. Ricky Carmicheal, Ryan Villopoto...two short guys riding bikes with a 37" seat height...stomping the MFing world in the dirt. Dani Pedrosa is all of what, 5'3" and is a MotoGP badass. IMO, one foot on the ground in all you need, and in reality, if you need more than that, you need more practice.

HOWEVER, if you want to lower the front to match the back, I would suggest taking measurements from the ground to the fairing, front and back, before you lower the back, then measure after and drop the forks accordingly. You should be careful that the tire does not get too close to the radiator or bodywork..that could be costly, and painful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will admit, once I had the 250 Ninja lowered, the center stand assembly did bottom out over railroad tracks, driveways, etc. I know that I will probably damage the plastic under the R6, but it is a chance I will have to take. I ride around town only, not a racer or anything. I don't go very fast or try to corner really close to the ground or anything. I am gonna be pretty wimpy when it comes to doing what this R6 is capable of. I just love the way they look, so I bought one.
I'm a 5'-1" girl, I have a 33" seat height right now, and I only have a 27" inseam. You can only shave so much foam out of the seat and my toes are not strong enough to hold this bike up at a stop sign. Ihave to get it lowered. But I do understand and accept that it will have some clearance problems.

·
burrr
158 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts