Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
and a chica booma chic!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best tire right now for my '07 r6 that has a long lifespan andddd has good cornering capabilities.

Here is what I am usually doing with my bike. On good weekends I take it up to the SD area and play in the mountains. During the week, I ride it to and from school and work. Here and there during the week I ride it a hair under 100 miles or so round trip to Glamis and back (sand dunes) just to relax and take a break out there. The roads around where I live SUCK. I'll post a picture one of these days, but they are horrible. The STOP written at the four ways stops is raised about 1-2 inches above the ground from just natural weathering and no road fixing. There are potholes but I usually travel during the day. What really eats the tire is the long straights where I live to and from school and work. By the time I start breaking in the sides of the tires pretty damn well, the center is just about gone or too thin to ride on (starting to show the fiber wrap underneath).

What would be the best tire for my bike? Right now I get about 2k-3k out of my rear tire just because of the center seam. If there isn't a longer life span tire with equal or better performance, what would give me the same mileage but with better performance? :p

Cost isn't too much of an issue right now if it saves money in the long run.

Any help from you guys is very much appreciated as always.

I was looking at the Michelin Pilot Power tires (not pure). Anything but the stock qualifiers I suppose since I've just about had it with them.

2,458 Posts
shinko.. they own in the corners.

·
and a chica booma chic!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, i think i'm gonna get some ordered up at the end of the month. Might as well get both front and rear to combine shipping (if i can't get it free).

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
Sport-touring tires were made exactly for the scenario you described. You will square off an aggressive street tire like the Pilot Power pretty quickly in your situation.

When you come to forums for tire advise, people typically suggest the same few aggressive sport tires regardless of rider, conditions, or any other critical factors. My advice would be to shop from any major manufacturer within the category that fits your specific needs. Longevity and grip is the mantra of the sport-touring tire. If you need more mileage than they offer, you probably shouldn't be on a sportbike. To legitimately need more grip than they offer would put you beyond what the vast majority of riders would consider appropriate for the street. Unfortunately there is an all-too-common trend in the motorcycling community to blame tires for anything that goes off script during a ride, and because of this people tend to buy WAY more tire than they can use.

·
I eat up the twisties
60 Posts
Pilot Road 2 has a harder compound in the middle and the same compound as pilot powers on the outer edges, Sounds like those would probably suit you best!

2,458 Posts
Please tell me your joking.
Lol of course I am..
I love how people in these tire threads alway try and steer someone to a less of a tire like a pilot road or what not. The problem I have with putting those on a sportbike is what say this kid doesn't go into a corner too hot and the tire doesn't grip.. or decides to whack the throttle coming out of one and the tire doesn't grip?? I would sacrifice tread life and the money it takes to step up to a stickier tire any day of the week than to need the stickier tire when the shit hits the fan and not have it on my bike. Now on something like an fz1 or a touring type bike.. whatever.. just my 2 cents.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
Ive had my stock Dunlops on my mine for 2,300 miles and still have alot of rubber left

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
Man, thats awesome

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
Lol of course I am..
I love how people in these tire threads alway try and steer someone to a less of a tire like a pilot road or what not. The problem I have with putting those on a sportbike is what say this kid doesn't go into a corner too hot and the tire doesn't grip.. or decides to whack the throttle coming out of one and the tire doesn't grip??

By that logic we should all be using race DOT's. A better solution than throwing money at the problem would be to not ride over your head.

2,458 Posts
i like how u cut and pasted my quote to fit your needs.. are you a democrat.. u must watch to much msnbc..? lol im totally kidding. just fkin with ya. i do run the power ones tho. good call. lol

·
and a chica booma chic!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't want to get a touring tire on a sport :p I love speed and the corners too much. Like I said, I do go out to the mountains every so often to ride. Quite a bit of information from you guys though. Getting 2000-3000 miles out of my tire where I live isn't so bad I guess, considering the roads. However, I think I am gonna try out the Michelin pp's though. Thanks!

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
I don't want to get a touring tire on a sport :p I love speed and the corners too much. Like I said, I do go out to the mountains every so often to ride.
A touring tire and a sport-touring tire are not the same thing. ST tires are perfectly suitable for performance street riding. You can still drag knees, run from police, and any other hooligan activities you desire on ST rubber.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A touring tire and a sport-touring tire are not the same thing. ST tires are perfectly suitable for performance street riding. You can still drag knees, run from police, and any other hooligan activities you desire on ST rubber.
What are some sport touring tires?

·
and a chica booma chic!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
been riding on the Michelin Pilot Road 2's and lovin 'em!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
been riding on the Michelin Pilot Road 2's and lovin 'em!!
Are they dual compound? How long are they suppose to last with commute and mountain riding? They're hard in the center for commuting, and soft on the sides for mountains? Are the BT-016's dual compound too?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts