Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am pretty sure I am going to get a lot of nasty replies about this post about how this is a race bike etc but I still want to see if people have done this.

My main question:

is there anybody here, anybody, that has went with a larger front sprocket and a smaller rear sprocket to lower rpms on a 06-10 r6? if yes, how many teeth you went up in the front and how many you took off on the rear? How was the take offs from a dead stop? I know already the r6 has no low end power already but I am just hoping changing the sprockets won't cause me to stall like crazy.

Ok now for my reasoning behind this, if you really want to know.

I was actually considering purchasing a ninja 250 for my commuting. I don't do track days or canyon runs since time is not with me at this moment. I just ride to commute so might as well increase my mpg. So if i sold my 07 r6 at most for 4,500 or wishful thinking 5k, a used 08-10 ninja 250 goes for about $2,800. Then i would have to change the sprockets to make it freeway friendly, exhaust, and other various parts which will end up me spending 4,000 on a freakin 250 ninja.

So i thought the next best option is to change the front sprocket to a larger and rear to a small number of teeth on my current 07 r6. This way I can still have a powerful bike but more gas friendly.

that's my reason. like it or hate it. but i know most of you hate it. lol But all and all I still would like to know if anybody did this =)

·
Registered
561 Posts
well the one thing i will say is that if u want a bike just for the sake of commuting and for no other reason than maybe a 250 ninja would be fine. if u really enjoy riding i think you'll miss the performance on the 6. it does already get a quoted 40mpg which is obviously not bad at all. if all you want is better gas mileage i would think you'd be happier with a slower r6 than a ninja 250 tho...i mean if u weant to that u r getting less than 1/5 the power of the 6. up to u tho

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
The gearing stock is already pretty tall. We have had a few people try this and you can gain a little mpg, but not much at all. The thing is that at 65mph or so you're already in a good cruising rpm. If you go lower you can start to bog the engine or actually defeat your purpose. The largest factor in MPG is how quickly you turn your right hand and your shift points.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info and not flaming me to even think of this lol.. I guess i have to think about this for a moment. Now i know I am going to keep my r6 stock but still considering if i want to sell it for a 250. I guess i will take my girls ninja 250 for a week and see if I can deal with the lost of power.

Also I only get 28mpg on my r6, but the odd thing is i get around 40 mpg when i occasionally go to the canyons. weird huh.

·
Registered
561 Posts
that is weird but not as much when you consider that the motor in your 6 is made to rev. low rpms doesnt guarantee good mpg's. it's all about how do you get the most efficiency out of your particular motor. on some vehicles (cars or bikes) revving it out a little and letting it cruise at what seems to be a fairly high rpm can result in better mileage. that obviously doesnt mean pinning it everywhere u go, but for a bike with a 16,500rpm redline, shifting at 7k really isnt that crazy. if you compare it to a car that's like a 350z shifting at like 2800rpm.. you can easily be more economical on the 6, if that's still not good enough than maybe a smaller motored bike would be better. i wont flame u because it's really what u want. if it were me i would smack myself for considering sacrificing performance for a few mpg's but everyones needs r different

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
it's about what rpm your bike likes. too low and it sucks more gas. also about the map/fueling. If in the canyons you're at a higher rpm and get better mileage then maybe trying a week of going to work in 5th gear instead of 6th? It's a lot of trial and error to find the best rpm/cruise points for your bike.

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
The gearing stock is already pretty tall. We have had a few people try this and you can gain a little mpg, but not much at all. The thing is that at 65mph or so you're already in a good cruising rpm. If you go lower you can start to bog the engine or actually defeat your purpose. The largest factor in MPG is how quickly you turn your right hand and your shift points.
couldnt have said it better myself:bow

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
I use my bike currently for commuting on weekends, I have a longer ride to work (45-55miles) depends on the way I take. I'm driving between 45-85 the whole time, paying no real attention to shift points or trying to get good mileage. I get 40+MPG everytime I fill up, that's not as good as my old geo metro. But, I feel much safer on the 6 then I did in that metro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts