Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some information on dualsports. Without going into much detail, over the past year I've kinda lost focus with super sports (nagging shoulder injury) and am wanting to go the route of long distance touring with off road capabilities. As such, I've came across what looks like a great deal. 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i with 23k miles on the clock and even comes with tank bag and side paniers. Can anyone help me with what I should be looking for in a bike like that?

I really don't know the first thing about off roading/dual sporting but for the price I'd hate to pass this up. How much different is it from a bike like the R1/R6? What should I look at when I look it over at the dealership? Thanks for the help/advice.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I don't know much about the older 955 Tigers, but I have one of the new generation 800s. I put about 13,000 miles on it in the last year.

First off, I don't think dual sport is the proper moniker for a Tiger. A dual sport is a KLR or XR650; large displacement thumpers. Adventure Touring is pretty appropriate for the bigger bikes. Despite what the marketing departments lead you to believe, don't be tricked into thinking you are going to do much hardcore off-roading on a Tiger. It's just too big and heavy to get into anything more gnarly than a jeep trail, unless you are an exceptionally skilled rider.

Having said that, they are excellent bikes, especially for the street. Much better than any super sport, IMO. A big ADV bike has plenty of power and handles plenty well for you to have fun on any road. What it doesn't do is beg you to go faster and faster, getting on the gas harder out of the corners and braking deeper into them, before you eventually run out of margin of error. I have a blast riding mine and I can easily do 500+ mile days without coming home with any sore body parts.

As far as what to look for at the dealership; same signs of trouble as you would look for on any other bike.

Head over to advrider.com for more information than you could read in a week.

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about the older 955 Tigers, but I have one of the new generation 800s. I put about 13,000 miles on it in the last year.

First off, I don't think dual sport is the proper moniker for a Tiger. A dual sport is a KLR or XR650; large displacement thumpers. Adventure Touring is pretty appropriate for the bigger bikes. Despite what the marketing departments lead you to believe, don't be tricked into thinking you are going to do much hardcore off-roading on a Tiger. It's just too big and heavy to get into anything more gnarly than a jeep trail, unless you are an exceptionally skilled rider.

Having said that, they are excellent bikes, especially for the street. Much better than any super sport, IMO. A big ADV bike has plenty of power and handles plenty well for you to have fun on any road. What it doesn't do is beg you to go faster and faster, getting on the gas harder out of the corners and braking deeper into them, before you eventually run out of margin of error. I have a blast riding mine and I can easily do 500+ mile days without coming home with any sore body parts.

As far as what to look for at the dealership; same signs of trouble as you would look for on any other bike.

Head over to advrider.com for more information than you could read in a week.
Thanks, I'll check out the website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts