Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've just bought myself a '02 R6 with 19km on the clock. It was a spare bike for a race team that never used it.
I was worried about a ticking sound I can hear at low RPM's. I have read that this is normal though.
I was wondering what the power band of the R6 is supposed to be like. I'm still riding the bike in, so I won't be able to use it to it's full potential until I've done 1600km's. I have to ride it less than 5000rpm. It seems like the acceleration is very soft under 4000rpm. It seems like power really kicks in at about 4500rpm. Of course I haven't been able to use this much. I have to restrain myself.
When I've ridden it in I'd like to try and wheelie it. What gear and rpm do I need to do this? My old bike was a CBR250R, and I never managed to wheelie it, though it can be done if you want to destroy your clutch.

Thanks,
-Baldric

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, I don't really know much about the '02s, but, my '03 has it's powerband rather quickly (about 4-5500 rpm). I say run it hard occasional too. I can't remember the link where I found it, but I think Penfold posted a link on break in periods, and how to do it well. I did it like that link said (hard and soft at least), and mine runs fine. Good luck, and the tick is normal...

-Solace

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to R6 ownership! Arguably the best handling street bike you can buy, and you have one now, too.

My 01 is the same as your 02 except for paint. When you hit about 7grand, you will feel an awesome rush of acceleration, and another even greater feeling than that at 10500 rpm. It really is a blast! I stick to first gear wheelies myself, although there are others on this site that can give you advice on that. I generally take the rpm's up to about 6000, let off the throttle a bit, then snap your wrist a good one and she'll come up.

The ticking is definately normal...

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Second gear, 40-55 mph, let off gas, pull in clutch, whack open the throttle, let out the clutch, hold open the throttle, HANG ON!!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah, I agree powerband kicks in around 5k but better around 6-8k and if you want a fat rush, bring it up around 10-12k than try not to pee in your pants. 1st gear wheelies work fine if your just starting out, but still be careful. we have a thread in this forum about wheelies. lots of good information. good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes, it seems that he forgot the most important part, and that IS to HANG ON!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it will feel even faster once it has been run in.
Can't wait!!!!!

-Baldric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts