Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I spell maintenance right?? Oh well. I have a 2000, bought it last winter, and rode it all summer. The steering column shakes a bit when I get between 30-40, can't take my hands off at all...but it doesn't affect me at all, at any speed with my hands on it. My question is, I want to take it in for a tune-up, and so the guys can look at it, make sure its all up to par and safe what not (the bike as a whole), and hopefully fix the shake. How much do you guys think that would cost?? Chicago area if that matters.....thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I paid $130 for my 4,000 mile service. So somewhere in that range I would think.

The shake could be as simple as a misbalanced wheel. If it were my bike I would have found out as soon as it started happening. What can be an inconvience on a car, can be life and death on a motorcyle.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It could also be the bearings in the head. Try putting the bike on a stand or have someone hold it upright for you, then grab ahold of the fork down low. push and pull on them and go side to side. If there is any freeplay/sloppiness it is indicative of bad bearings.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Yeah, I think Chicago might be a bit more pricey, but i'm guessing worst case no more than $200. Z31 had good advice inconvienence in a car could mean life or death on a motorcycle. The tire could be bad also. Get it fixed asap.

·
Registered
283 Posts
make sure u get ur service done on time!!!

from the sounds of it u might have gone too long ...

·
Registered
487 Posts
hey pete where are you in chicago? i'm in the western burbs- hit me up with a pm if you are looking for someone to ride with

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
A friend of mine rode a Can-a-Tuna that had that little wobble around 40mph. His front tire was "feathered" pretty bad. Look at your tread and make sure no part of the tread is higher than the next. It will almost look like steps at a certain angle. If that's not it, then there are some other good suggestions ^above^.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts