Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I finally took the plunge and bought myself an R6. I'm looking to leather up and figure there's no better place to gain insight than here.

I purchased the $600 Dainese Racing Pelle. However, after doing a bit more shopping around... I was curious about how it compares against other gear and what it can be used in conjunction with. For example:

As mentioned before the Jacket is $600. Delta Pro Pelle Pants are $500. That's $1100 for Pants/Jacket, only $100 shy of the 2 piece Laguna Seca suit. Essentially, what's the difference between a Jacket/Pants combo and the 2 piece suit in terms of protection?

- It says it has Jacket/Pants fastening system. Is that a belt loop or zippers? If I go down at a nice speed, I don't want my jacket rolling up over my head hockey style.

- Can this jacket be worn on the track? I don't plan on hitting the track for a good while, but I don't want to purchase 2 sets of practically identical gear at the same price.

- As far as comfort, this jacket doesn't have the 3D bubble liner is that a big deal? It also doesn't have the aerodynamic hump... but I'm not too concerned about that as i'll be able to sport a backpack more easily for when I need to take anything along.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I would not consider using a 2 piece setup at the track. The consequences of a failed zipper are not pretty.... Imagine jumping from a rapidly moving car with your jacket pulled up over your head.... Its happened:fact

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ya... but I just have the worst proportions for anything 1 piece.

I'm 5'5" and body build. My jackets are tight as hell, the sleeves are too long, and anything that fits me in the chest would be like 6 foot tall. I suppose I could try some on though. In that regard I always gravitate toward 2 pieces, but the whole keeping them connected issue would definately be in the back of my mind.

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
you could try and find the Laguna seca 1 pc for 1 grand... not sure what size you'd be though..

I'm not sure but the fastening system should be the zipper system.. iirc

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Take a track school and rent leathers, then you can find out if any fit you good or not. You'll also find out if you want to continue doing trackdays/race. Then maybe get some custom tailored leathers if your body proportions are strange. just a thought.

·
MITICO
437 Posts
I was talking to the guys @ the Heroic stand this past monday @ Thunderbolt, they do personal suits custom for just above the $1000 mark but down to the measurement. I can understand the convenience & appeal of a 2 piece, but for legit track work I can't imagine getting out there with anything less than a 1 piece

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
I did some reading on track day requirements, and for days hosted by Sport Bike Track Time, 2pc suits are acceptable as long as they zip together at least 50% around the waist. They even allow some textile jackets for lower class riders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts