Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the benefits to them over an extra pair of stock fairings? I know that part of it is to keep your street fairings nice. I was also under the impression track/race plastics are less likely to crack and shatter than street/stock plastics, but wasn't sure.

So any brief outlines on the benefits of them for a noob? Any suggestions on where to find cheap/used track fairings? Under $500 would be ideal.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Optimal racing, Factory bodyworks or Rockwall bodywork are all great places to buy primered race glass for under $400.

Race plastics crash better from what I've read, but are a lot cheaper to fix if you go down compared to replacing OEM fairings. Primarily cost of replacement is what helps with race fairings and cost of repairs.

·
B4B
6,864 Posts
The benefits would be that you don't have to spend 1k or more on a new set of "street" fairings when you crash. If $500 bucks is your limit you can get a lot for that amount. Check out optimal, rock wall, armour bodies, just to name a few.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked out Optimal: $385 for a full, primered set?! Wow!

I think I might just ask for that for christmas. No worries on crashing my street plastics = AWESOME.

:cheers

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
They are also MUCH faster to remove should you need to at the track....say to make a quick repair or whatever... They allow you to bust out some cool graphics too and test your rattle can skills....

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Just checked out Optimal: $385 for a full, primered set?! Wow!

I think I might just ask for that for christmas. No worries on crashing my street plastics = AWESOME.

:cheers
From someone that had optimals, I suggest spending a little more on something that isnt complete crap.... Rockwall is much better, though I rock my buddies fairings and they are absolutely legit.....$450 + shipping. A little more but they are fuggin bulletproof and fit like they should.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
From someone that had optimals, I suggest spending a little more on something that isnt complete crap.... Rockwall is much better, though I rock my buddies fairings and they are absolutely legit.....$450 + shipping. A little more but they are fuggin bulletproof and fit like they should.

I paid a lot less for my Rockwall set.....:sing

Ask me how, :lmao

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I paid a lot less for my Rockwall set.....:sing

Ask me how, :lmao
Hey, thats cool. I have put my fairings next to rockwall though and I pick mine, even if I have to pay more... and I didnt pay $450 either... I have two sets of Joe's fairings, one for my extra 636 and they are every bit as quality and well fitting as the Catalyst fairings on my nice 636, and those were the OG catalyst that were good before the quality suffered. Also, I know a couple guys that have crashed NUMEROUS times on the same set of Joe's fairings while racing (fast guys in the AFM out here) and they just patch, respray, and theyre good. One crash on a set of optimals and you'll be ordering another set...:fact

I noticed that I hammered a curb with my bottom fairing this last track day, ground off some paint on my bottom fairing, and took some curb white with it. Didnt crack or even deeply scratch the fairing.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
optimal is not bad at all. gets the job done and easy to fix, yes a little thinner than sharkskinz but definitely not as bad as hotbodies.

also invest in dzus fasteners: kurveygirl.com is your lady for anything related to dzus.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
optimal is not bad at all. gets the job done and easy to fix, yes a little thinner than sharkskinz but definitely not as bad as hotbodies.

also invest in dzus fasteners: kurveygirl.com is your lady for anything related to dzus.
-1 on optimal (aka E racing).... No bueno

+1 on Kurveygirl.com Julie is on it and ships stuff out right away.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
One crash on a set of optimals and you'll be ordering another set...:fact
I beg to differ on that. Two folks I know (SikBlu) and another one crashed their optimal racing fairings (one low side and one high side) and they both held up just fine, just rashed a bit, not cracked or shattered.

I still like my Rockwall, coz when I was fitting mine, they were much more flexible than the Optimal racing ones :fact and I'd fit two optimal sets, one for SikBlu and one for another friend on a GSXR.

I dropped my bike in my truck and landed on the upper fairings and didnt crack it, pretty much nothing happened. Just some paint chipped, it flexed a lot and caved in a bit, didnt wanna race in to get my camera but thats what happened, :lmao.

+2 for kurveygirl.com for D-zus fasteners

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I beg to differ on that. Two folks I know (SikBlu) and another one crashed their optimal racing fairings (one low side and one high side) and they both held up just fine, just rashed a bit, not cracked or shattered.

I still like my Rockwall, coz when I was fitting mine, they were much more flexible than the Optimal racing ones :fact and I'd fit two optimal sets, one for SikBlu and one for another friend on a GSXR.

I dropped my bike in my truck and landed on the upper fairings and didnt crack it, pretty much nothing happened. Just some paint chipped, it flexed a lot and caved in a bit, didnt wanna race in to get my camera but thats what happened, :lmao.

+2 for kurveygirl.com for D-zus fasteners
Hey, Im not trying to get into a pissing contest over how crappy Optimal is... but I had a set too. I got them for $265 shipped from optimal. I was VERY dissapointed in the fit and quality, but maybe I got a bad set, maybe. I have three other sets currently, however, and ALL of them are MUCH better in terms of quality and fit. You can spend your money how and where you want to, but I can assure you that I wont be spending mine at Optimal Racing.

As a matter of fact, now that i think about it, mine not only fit crappy and were pretty flimsy, but they also came pre-cracked, right out of the box, on THREE different pieces, the upper at the corner where the headlight would be, the whole length of the front fender across the top of one of the legs, and the tail on both sides. Needless to say, I was PISSED and had some words with them about their quality. I was polite and asked if they would figure out some sort of remedy and basically was told to eat shit.... I used them for one track day with the Kurveygirl Dzus fasteners and sold them for $200. I was happy to get that much for those pieces of one track day shit. Thanks for reminding me of the awesomeness of Optimal Racing....:rolleyes:

You get what you pay for.....:fact

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Deezy, they look nice but no info on price.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
when did you get your optimal red? if it was recent within the past year then ok, but if not they've really beefed up their bodywork. i've crash tested mine as well and just a few minor cracks to be expected. nothing major at all.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,565 Posts
I bought my fairings "new" from a member on here for like $250. Had to drill my own holes but everything fits pretty well. Race fairings also have an enclosed belly pan, so if you start puking oil it will catch some of it in time for you to get off the track so you don't ruin any one elses day.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I bought my fairings "new" from a member on here for like $250. Had to drill my own holes but everything fits pretty well. Race fairings also have an enclosed belly pan, so if you start puking oil it will catch some of it in time for you to get off the track so you don't ruin any one elses day.
Race fairing bottoms are supposed to be designed to be able to hold the total oil volume of the motor as per the rules of most organizations.

I got my optimals from them about a year back, bt it's not like they were a new company. They were previously known as e-racing iirc.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts