Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
dude, I just think it is a pain in the azz to change all the fairings five times a year.
It's really not, takes less than an hour to swap fairings... Considering track plastics cost about the same as one part of the street fairings it's well worth it.

Good, thick and thin in the right places (flexible where it needs to be), yes
Thanks, good info. I will buy a set soon.

It's really not, takes less than an hour to swap fairings... Considering track plastics cost about the same as one part of the street fairings it's well worth it.
They cost the same if you buy oem fairings from a dealership. If you get used it's a differnt storry.

What do you do about the upper fairing stay and the gauge cluster?

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Thanks, good info. I will buy a set soon.

They cost the same if you buy oem fairings from a dealership. If you get used it's a differnt storry.

What do you do about the upper fairing stay and the gauge cluster?
Used fairings are hard to find in good condition. 80% of the fairings I've seen for sale are either painted an awful "custom" color or have rash/cracks/missing tabs.

It might be a hassle to swap fairings, but the price makes up for it. Not to mention, most accidents on the track are lowsides and that makes repair pretty easy. I'd rather pay $350 for track fairings now and take an hour of my time or so before a track day for insurance than pay $350 minimum if I were to go down on plastics. Also, if you go down and your bike does dual commuting/track duty, you can just take off the track fairings, put the street ones back on and go about your normal routine while the track plastics are being repaired.

But I concede that we just might disagree. :toocool:

Most fairing sets are designed to fit the stock fairing stay and gauge bracket.

As for the cost of fairings, if yours are still mint, it can be very hard to find another mint one to replace it. Something else to consider, it's also good to have an extra tank. Mint tanks are not cheap. Quality race glass will usually withstand a couple or even a few lowsides and is easily repairable.

Used fairings are hard to find in good condition. 80% of the fairings I've seen for sale are either painted an awful "custom" color or have rash/cracks/missing tabs.

It might be a hassle to swap fairings, but the price makes up for it. Not to mention, most accidents on the track are lowsides and that makes repair pretty easy. I'd rather pay $350 for track fairings now and take an hour of my time or so before a track day for insurance than pay $350 minimum if I were to go down on plastics. Also, if you go down and your bike does dual commuting/track duty, you can just take off the track fairings, put the street ones back on and go about your normal routine while the track plastics are being repaired.

Like I said before it's your choice. In my opinion the best option is to get a dedicated track bike. I bought a r6 track bike because my r1 is in near mint condition and I don't want to lay it down on the track.

All good points^^^^^ lmgm:fact

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Like I said before it's your choice. In my opinion the best option is to get a dedicated track bike. I bought a r6 track bike because my r1 is in near mint condition and I don't want to lay it down on the track.
I'd love a track bike, but I don't have the money or the room for it. (Mostly the second point.) Otherwise, I completely agree with having a street and track bike. It's just not feasible for us all. :)

I'd love a track bike, but I don't have the money or the room for it. (Mostly the second point.) Otherwise, I completely agree with having a street and track bike. It's just not feasible for us all. :)
:werd I just dont have room for another anything in my garage....

i'd gladly "take" one if you send one my way :sing

:lmao
Everything is for sale for the right price....:fact
Is it because all the extra fairings are taking up all your space? :laugh

4 bikes (1 is my wife's) riding mower, a car, weight bench, two tool boxes, etc and picking up a project bike tomorrow :eek5
No, I have a small two car garage.... and its home to two 05 zx6rs, an 08 r6, an RM 125, a scooter, and a quad....oh and our quad cab ram, our scion xb, and one of those BIG ass shelves from Costco. Trust me, its full.

~$350 includes all DZUS
Deezy is that price through someone other then FBW? I just got quoted $500 shipped for a set from them.
From someone that had optimals, I suggest spending a little more on something that isnt complete crap.... Rockwall is much better, though I rock my buddies fairings and they are absolutely legit.....$450 + shipping. A little more but they are fuggin bulletproof and fit like they should.
Would you recommend the Rockwall fairings over the FBW fairings?

What are the benefits to them over an extra pair of stock fairings? I know that part of it is to keep your street fairings nice. I was also under the impression track/race plastics are less likely to crack and shatter than street/stock plastics, but wasn't sure.

So any brief outlines on the benefits of them for a noob? Any suggestions on where to find cheap/used track fairings? Under $500 would be ideal.

So did you buy a set of fairings yet? If so, which brand? New or used?

I would absolutely suggest that you buy a set for track days. Busted OEM's are expensive to replace. Not to mention the headlight assembly issues. If you leave the headlights installed you risk busting them. If you take them out, you have the large holes in the OEM fairings.

Time is a more precision comodity for me these days, but I still very much enjoy working on my motorcycles. Thus, any garage time working on the bike, is good happy fun time. The installation/removal time will get less each time you do it. Pretty soon it will be automatic, and you will wonder why there are so many OEM pieces as compared to the race pieces.

If you buy used, I would not get too caught up in the paint schemes. Paint colors should NOT make you go slower or faster.

sorry to re-bump an old thread, but with

these fairings
http://www.rockwallyamaha.com/productdetail.htm?productId=-291345

and these fasteners be the correct fit/set
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=55
Your signature says that you have a 2008, so that should be the correct bodywork set. The Dzus fasteners should work as well for the lower and possibly the undertail but you should still need a few bolts to attach the upper and tail section.

I ended up buying a used set of bodywork earlier this year for my 2005 R6. No idea what brand it is and it did not have an undertail. I just removed the stickers that the previous owner installed and it should be good to go. I will have to fit it up next month and decide if I want to fabricate an undertail or just leave it alone. Unfortunately my first track day this year will not happen until July.

Your signature says that you have a 2008, so that should be the correct bodywork set. The Dzus fasteners should work as well for the lower and possibly the undertail but you should still need a few bolts to attach the upper and tail section.

I ended up buying a used set of bodywork earlier this year for my 2005 R6. No idea what brand it is and it did not have an undertail. I just removed the stickers that the previous owner installed and it should be good to go. I will have to fit it up next month and decide if I want to fabricate an undertail or just leave it alone. Unfortunately my first track day this year will not happen until July.
You don't really need an undertail. My bike doesn't have one and I've noticed that many r6's don't have them either.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.