Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've searched but can't find my answer!

So I have some -1/+2 520 sprockets without a chain for it. D2moto has a sale going on with their chains.. but I have a couple of questions..

Do I just have to make sure it's a 520 chain and long enough? O-ring chains are OK, correct? These chains are rated to a tensile strength of 8,200lbs.. good?

And lastly, anyone have experience with these chains?

http://www.d2moto.com/p-8293-520-o-ring-chain-with-120-links-gold.aspx

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Are your sprockets brand new? If so you can just get any O-ring, X-Ring or W-ring chain you want (as long as it's 520 weight) and throw it on there.

The tensile strength of chains is not an issue with 600cc bikes. Go nuts.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your sprockets brand new? If so you can just get any O-ring, X-Ring or W-ring chain you want (as long as it's 520 weight) and throw it on there.

The tensile strength of chains is not an issue with 600cc bikes. Go nuts.
Yeah they're brand new driven sprockets.. Thanks for answering my question!

But now I'm curious.. why does it depend on whether or not I am using new sprockets? Does the types of -rings make a difference once one type has been used? :dunce:

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
old sprockets on a new chain or old chain on a new sprocket can cause pre mature wear to both.
think of it like replacing brake pads. you do both sides, not one. when replacing chains or sprockets it's ideal to change all of it.

THOSE ARE DIRT BIKE CHAINS IN YOUR LINK!!!! make sure you order a street bike chain. they might be entirely different...never go by the pictures on a website.

if money is your hurdle, then I guess it will work. but I'd buy a brand name chain to be honest. it may out last that chain by 3-4 times. by time you buy 3 $45 chains you could have saved money on something else.
EK chains are usually inexpensive. in fact, you can get one for just a little bit more..

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=700062&cat=31877&page=1

or an RK chain is just a bit more. (i'd go with this one)
http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=107777&cat=31878&page=1

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
old sprockets on a new chain or old chain on a new sprocket can cause pre mature wear to both.
think of it like replacing brake pads. you do both sides, not one. when replacing chains or sprockets it's ideal to change all of it.

THOSE ARE DIRT BIKE CHAINS IN YOUR LINK!!!! make sure you order a street bike chain. they might be entirely different...never go by the pictures on a website.

if money is your hurdle, then I guess it will work. but I'd buy a brand name chain to be honest. it may out last that chain by 3-4 times. by time you buy 3 $45 chains you could have saved money on something else.
EK chains are usually inexpensive. in fact, you can get one for just a little bit more..

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=700062&cat=31877&page=1

or an RK chain is just a bit more. (i'd go with this one)
http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=107777&cat=31878&page=1
How can you tell that it is an offroad chain - as in, what's different between an offroad/street chain?

I'm almost embarassed at my level of ignorance on this topic :lmao

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
where are you looking to buy a chain??? Most places will have your year, make, and model to be selected for the chain/sprocket combo. I'd get a x-ring chain over an o-ring and btw D2moto sucks the big one.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
How can you tell that it is an offroad chain - as in, what's different between an offroad/street chain?

I'm almost embarassed at my level of ignorance on this topic :lmao
by the page you linked to, it's under the dirtbike section
it wasn't by the chain or description.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
the tensile is surely an issue with a 600cc bike as a modern day 600cc bike can do nearly what 1000cc bikes did back in the day. The wear life indicator is just as important though. personally i would stick with the high end chains from rk, did, and ek. The best known and most widely used chains on the market. There are lots of cheap china made chains popping up now, but I would stick with the known brands that have a reputable name. Brakes, drivetrain, tires, and safety gear are not places to skimp out on imo. i wouldn't buy a no name helmet, tire, or chain.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not looking to buy a chain anywhere in particular, I just want to get a solid deal.

I see everyone's points. I agree, a shitty chain isn't something I want to invest in.. which is why I asked about these chains before making any sort of purchase.

And if anyone could elaborate on the differences between o-ring, x-ring, etc that would be cool. I need a schooling on this subject!

Also, how many links would I need for this? 15/50 on an '05.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would make sure to get an O-Ring chain, the type will not affect fitment issues but an O-ring chain has little seals on each link. The seals are to keep a lubricant within the joints of the chain. This means you don't have to apply a lubricant to the outside of the chain, and if maintained properly will last you a long time with less overall chain maintenance.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I'm not looking to buy a chain anywhere in particular, I just want to get a solid deal.

I see everyone's points. I agree, a shitty chain isn't something I want to invest in.. which is why I asked about these chains before making any sort of purchase.

And if anyone could elaborate on the differences between o-ring, x-ring, etc that would be cool. I need a schooling on this subject!

Also, how many links would I need for this? 15/50 on an '05.
120 should do it. I use the stock 16/48 and had to remove about 3 links I think it was.
ask cory from above. he might be able to hook you up on a good deal too.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I would make sure to get an O-Ring chain, the type will not affect fitment issues but an O-ring chain has little seals on each link. The seals are to keep a lubricant within the joints of the chain. This means you don't have to apply a lubricant to the outside of the chain, and if maintained properly will last you a long time with less overall chain maintenance.
you stil need to lube a chain even if it has orings xrings wx rings etc.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
There is another thread that elaborates on the real difference between O, X, W ring chains. but for the easy answer it's:

O-Ring = Good

X-Ring = Better

W-Ring = Best

The price follows them. There is nothing wrong with either chain. The O-Ring chain doesn't last as long as the X, or W-Ring chains. pick a price point and get the chain that best fits what you need.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess longevity isn't too much of an issue for me. If I'm to replace the chain and sprocket together when either one is due, then I'm assuming any chain will outlast my sprockets (driven alloy).

How many miles can I expect out of the sprockets and generally how much out of the various chains? I will maintain them properly..

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
depends on your ability to maintain them. I believe that if well maintained, you should get about 10K miles before you should consider changing it. Others feel you should get about around 20K. There is a debate about that on another thread. In either case it has to do with your ability to maintain them. if you don't do good the chain may only last 5K miles.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
depends on your ability to maintain them. I believe that if well maintained, you should get about 10K miles before you should consider changing it. Others feel you should get about around 20K. There is a debate about that on another thread. In either case it has to do with your ability to maintain them. if you don't do good the chain may only last 5K miles.
If maintenance is the key then I guess I should be golden. I have nearly 20k on my stock chain and sprocket and they're both like new. If I pull the chain away from the center of the sprocket, I get about 1mm of play. No noise, no kinks, no tight spots.. :cool:

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Some manufacturers would call 1mm of play no good. Others say half the tooth showing or about 4 - 5 mm. Also keep in mind all of the rollers and O-Rings. Have you looked at every single one to see that they are all in good shape? The stock chains do last a long time. But they are also the heavy 530 chains, which do last longer than the 520's. If you are that good with maintenance it should last a long time either way.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
120 should do it. I use the stock 16/48 and had to remove about 3 links I think it was.
ask cory from above. he might be able to hook you up on a good deal too.
:rolleyes:

There is another thread that elaborates on the real difference between O, X, W ring chains. but for the easy answer it's:

O-Ring = Good

X-Ring = Better

W-Ring = Best

The price follows them. There is nothing wrong with either chain. The O-Ring chain doesn't last as long as the X, or W-Ring chains. pick a price point and get the chain that best fits what you need.

I was gonna link to the thread where ^^^ went into serious detail about this topic, but now that he's here I'll just :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts