Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My R6 gets me.
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering has anyone put a quick shifter on a r6 with a gp shift rod. I have been looking but can't figure it out. My shift rod runs out side my frame up to the linkage. Any ideas or if someone has already done this any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I paid 24 shipped for my woodcraft one...

Its unique to theirs because of their right hand/left hand threaded male ends on the rods.

AND FYI again... its a pull rod for the woodcraft GP shift.

So if anyone needs the A and C dynojet shift rods with both right hand thread female ends.

·
My R6 gets me.
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So yah I currently have the woodcraft gp shift rod that runs outside the frame. Also yes it looks like I might have to cut out a section of the rod to me the quick shifter fit. I'm worried will this cause a weak link in the rod that could snap? If you've already done this can you pose up a pic so I can get a idea of what I'm dealing with here. Thanks for all the help guys

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
So yah I currently have the woodcraft gp shift rod that runs outside the frame. Also yes it looks like I might have to cut out a section of the rod to me the quick shifter fit. I'm worried will this cause a weak link in the rod that could snap? If you've already done this can you pose up a pic so I can get a idea of what I'm dealing with here. Thanks for all the help guys
Don't mind all the oil on my bike, had a little problem lol

You can see here how I did mine. I used a random shorter shift rod then extended using an automotive stuf and a long coupling (look at the bottom) I drilled out the ends of te rid a tapped them for the thread size/pitch i needed. Works perfect and cost me $5 to make.

Attachments

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
if you can tig weld, or know someone that can just cut the alum. rod to fit, weld backtogether and grind the weld to make it look nice. Can't beat ready fit though as some have posted above. Eric at Woodcraft is a great dude, and his staff will help for sure. (Eric and Jeff Wood are awesome racers by the way, and thier family runs/owns Penguin Roadracing school).

Be careful that you know which way the rod goes based on your rearsets. Gp shift with one brand of rearsets may be pull, but with another could be push depending on where the shift rod attaches.
And for those that are not already gp shifting.. it is a bit overrated :) If ya don't want to gp shift on the track, there is no need to do so. It is a benefit sometimes, but standard is a benefit sometimes. For me? i ride dirt bikes 20 hours a month so roadracing standard shift is just natural for me.. and it was good enough for a couple guys named Mladin and Bayliss too :) It is nice upshifting in corners with gp shift, but i like the solid feel of downshifts with standard shift. Can't go wrong with either, just don't knock yourself out to make the change if you dont' want to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts