Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my master plan. After years of riding the old 1982 Yamaha Vision 550 (cool old bike, look it up) Being a poor college student, I cannot afford a new, or even used R6 in good shape. So my plan is to find an R6 with some rashed plastics, but otherwise in great shape. Then...
- discard plasics
-clean up visible wiring and hose routing
-add handle bar risers and handle bars
-slap on a bikini type fairing

Viola, R6 holigan bike

I mean honestly, look at how beautiful that frame and engine are...

http://www.daidegas.it/yamaha_2003.htm

It is a shame to cover such a work of art up...

My questions are,

Has anybody seen this done/ have pictures of something of this nature.

Also, will the R-6 bring the front wheel up with out clutching/bouncing etc..
(sounds like a squidish question, and the fact that a bike will power wheelie is not going to detemine the bike I go with, but lets be real here... a bike that will power-wheelie will be alot more fun to ride...)

(

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like a nice plan. Make sure you share pics if you go forward with it. To answer the power wheelie question, it will power wheelie in first and second (will get the front up a tiny bit in third). No bouncing, no clutch. I'm talking about the 2004. I've never ridden an R6 from another year so I can't tell you what the performance differences are.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've got an 02 and i cant get er up unless im banging from first to second or bouncing/clutching it...have fun though man and send pics when complete!

:cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
that would look hella funky on the road.........first gear is easy to lift with just raw power, second is a littler harder without the clutch I find......or im just a wussy which can be a good thing I guess stop me from looping it

·
Registered
353 Posts
i must be doing something wrong........cause i can't get it up in first gear without clutching it....its an o4

what rpm are you guys in first gear? and what exactly do you do ( i know this is off topic...but i'd love to beable to get it up without bouncing/clutching it)

thanks for any info

alex

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
djmodifyd said:
i must be doing something wrong........cause i can't get it up in first gear without clutching it....its an o4

what rpm are you guys in first gear? and what exactly do you do ( i know this is off topic...but i'd love to beable to get it up without bouncing/clutching it)

thanks for any info

alex
If you scoot your butt to the back of the seat and try it, it WILL come up and R6's come up pretty quick, so make sure you cover your back brake. Most of the time I just clutch it and I've got the wheel to come up shifting to third by sitting back on the seat too, but I was accelerating pretty hard (obviously) and got a little head shake action when it sat back down :tongue .

OR

just regear the bike and wheelies are stupid easy :hammer

AND

A nekkid R6 will look like an SV :throwup

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Heres what mine looked like completely nekkid

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well it will cool off quicker when you have to sit at a long light...

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
220 Posts
It sounds like a good idea, but I think it is going to end up costing you more than you would like and I do not think you will ever be happy with the compromises you will have to make. Why not just go buy a holigan style bike that is used :?:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like a good idea, but I think it is going to end up costing you more than you would like and I do not think you will ever be happy with the compromises you will have to make. Why not just go buy a holigan style bike that is used
I am not sure what you mean as far as compromises. To me the whole reason for taking on such a project would be to make a naked bike without the compromises. I love the naked/ standard bikes but cannot get passed the budget components. Everything on the R6, frame, suspension, engine, brakes.... all are top of the line or close to it.

My reasoning behind this bike is to make something unique that has all the top notch components that I drool over on the sportbikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts