Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it will work but has anyone on here done this or know of a website that has this on there? Sorry if there's already a topic on this...I didn't search. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya got me on where to find it, but why would you want to do it. not much difference between doin that and just buyin the new one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would have to agree. Simply buying an R1 would be cheaper, easier, look better, and work better. The R6 frame is narrower and has different mounting points, so you would have to cut and weld the R6 frame. I think that would look bad. Also, this frame is designed specifically for the engine to be mounted a certain way in the frame since it is a fully stressed member of the chassis. I would say if you like the looks of the R6 better than the R1 but want litrebike performance, it would be better to do some work with modifying R6 fairings onto the R1. Just my 2 cents...

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...but the reason I was asking was because I layed my bike over and pretty much totaled it. It wasn't even a bad wreck. The front brake locked up and the front tire just slid out(due to an oil spot in the parking lot at my work). Anyway, it broke the frame right on the 2 welds so it's now in two pieces. Plus where the frame, the subframe and the motor all connect, it cracked the motor casing open. Yamaha gave me a new frame and motor casing so I just have to swap the internals over to the new casing. I just wanted to see if I could put an R1 motor in there since I'll be spending money anyhow. Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, do a rebuild. You can do up to 2mm overbore, head work, cams, all kinds of stuff.

You'd most likely destroy your frame trying to fit a R1 into it.

·
rippin it
122 Posts
i was going to out a turbo on my r6 that would put down 140 to the ground but dident because i figured that a literbike frame would be much more suited to that kind of power .plus they sport bigger rears obviously and some other things. i wanted an r6 from hell but figured just go hard and go desmo and have the r6 for fun .
later

·
Motorcycle Drive By
791 Posts
Bump of the ages here

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Dude, you broke the frame.... I guess I have to be the responsible one and say that its time to get a new frame or a new bike. You really should not be trying to weld the frame, and you shouldn't even think about it if you don't know what you're doing. This project sounds like betting your life on a long shot horse with a limp....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts