Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here... and have a question for some of you veteran R6 owners!

I am thinking about buying an 04 R1... the R1 forum members think I should get an R6 or a GSXr 750 rather than the R1. I ride an FZR600 and an RD350... I have about 2 years of riding experience, (and a few) open track runs at Seattle International Raceway w/ the FZR. R1 owners think I need more experience...

Do you guys think an R1 would be to big of a jump? Do any of you wish you got the R1 instead of the R6? Is the R6 that much faster than my FZR??? I like the R6 too! ...but I already own a 600cc! What do you guys think :?:

·
Registered
836 Posts
It all depends on you. What type of riding do you do. Cruising around the city, or hitting the canyons/track. Do you have the maturity and the smooth throttle hand to safely ride the R1?

The R6 IS that much faster than your FZR. I think the Fizzer makes around 80 HP, the R6 is over 100.

Personally I think the R1 is overkill. I have been able to pass a few of them on the track really easily. I can get on the gas harder and earlier than they can in corners without highsiding myself into next week. I spin the rear on the 6 enough as it is.

It doesn't sound like you are getting abike to just cruise around and impress the chicks... so get a bike that you will enjoy riding the most.

·
max speed
242 Posts
If I were you I would get an R6 and just do some mods to it with the extra money you would save from not buying an 04 R1.

-sprockets
-full exhaust
-power commander
-slide stops
-velosity stacks

Once you are used to the bike and add these parts with proper tuning you will be way more confident then on an R1 and most likely faster in any situation besides flat out on a long straight. :jump

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i agree with rocky. it really depends on what you want to do with it. i love my r6 and it is really fast. i beleive the sport rider mag was the one that did a bike of the year and the r6 came in second by just a hair to the gixxer 1000. if all you want is pure power then go for it. but if you want a good bike with both power and rideability then go for the r6. it carves as good if not better than every bike out there. just my two cents but hey thats what im here for.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd go with the R6, its got plenty of power on tap (more than enough for me ) & handles like a dream.

Plus buy the time you have to pay extra for the bike, insurance & registration (or whatever you call it in the states) just think of the extra gear, mods etc. you could get.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
............ :hammer and the survey says.........

Go with an R6!! Great bike overall, save you money for aftermarket mods
(which is alot already) and quality protective gear! (probably about $3000+ USD you save!)
:worship

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I came off a 88bhp '98 F3, and my new 03 R6 feels like a 1000 compared to it!!!!!!!

What can the R1 do that the R6 can't-In my hands? For me, that's what it came down to, and i decided to stick with a 600 for another2-3 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have decided to get an R6! ...even the members of the R1 forum recommended I get an R6, over the R1. :roll:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Don't worry, you're in for the best 600cc sport bike in the class, the most compfortable, handling. Don't underestimate this beast, it will surprise the hell outta ya! :jump

I've got full gyt-r race exhaust, flush led's, m.d. wright tail integration, vfx pivot kit (thank's to r6-forum.com), powercommander, sportech screen, mirror covers, swingarm spools/sliders, and still spent less than i could have gotten an R1 at that time of the year when i bought it.

·
Gixxer Rida
18 Posts
I have a gixxer 750 and 00 R6.
I have never ridden an R1 but my 750 dam sure gots some oof to it. But why is it that I ride the R6 more?
Because it aint that much dam difference when you are on the street.
Bigger cc bikes have a great amount torque to them and its great for city driving but in reality, you aint going to use it all. Some people say 750 is ideal but its a fat bitch and an R6 is all you will ever need.
I dont even want to mention what an R6 does on certain track compared to most R1s.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think for most people's logic, they want more cc with more experience ride. there is a big difference from older bikes to newer bikes. I use to have a 93 VFR 750, but my 00 R6 is way faster despite that the fact that the VFR is a sport tourer vs a sport bike. I say buying an R6 will not be a disapointment but buying an R1 is mos def on your part if you feel that you need the extra power. dont forget to test ride both when you go in to pick up the 6. I say go with what feels most safe, comfortable and fun. R6's are more fun on the twisties where as R1'a can past up just about anything in the street.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Night and Day

R1=tons of power, good everything else

R6=good power, "the best" everything else

Both look cool

R6 redlines at 15,500. This equals BIG FUN screaming about on the open roads!!!!!

I used to want to trade my R6 in for an R1. Then I dropped some cash on a few key mods.

Now...I'm not sure.

P.S. I have experience on both the R6 and the R1.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i used to b out all day with my mates who had R1s and other thous' and i would hold my own with all of them.if i was going to by a thou it would b 4 the street cred' more than the extra speed i would b getting riding around the country

·
Registered
16 Posts
It definitely comes down to what type of riding you're going to be doing as stated above. 600s' cornering abilities tend to be way above and beyond that of full liter bikes primarily because of the higher redline and easier to control throttle response. However, as I have a daily freeway commute of almost 40 miles, I find myself wanting more power at the higher ends late at night when other foolish cars try to test me. Either way it's all good.

·
Banned
35 Posts
ridersblock said:
I'm new here... and have a question for some of you veteran R6 owners!

I am thinking about buying an 04 R1... the R1 forum members think I should get an R6 or a GSXr 750 rather than the R1. I ride an FZR600 and an RD350... I have about 2 years of riding experience, (and a few) open track runs at Seattle International Raceway w/ the FZR. R1 owners think I need more experience...

Do you guys think an R1 would be to big of a jump? Do any of you wish you got the R1 instead of the R6? Is the R6 that much faster than my FZR??? I like the R6 too! ...but I already own a 600cc! What do you guys think :?:
keep the 600 more fun

·
Registered
326 Posts
u may want to check dates, this threads almost 4 years old...lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
All I can Say is R6. Unless your racing Drag, The R6 Will do Fine. Not to be compared to other 600cc models. This is an all around Bike. Im loving Mines. 2000 YZFR6
ROCK ON- RIDE SAFE

·
My other bike has 6wheels
127 Posts
I have a Fizzer too and I can say that a R1 is really overkill and more than you would need for any track day or street riding. I rode my friend's R1 with a power commander, K&N, and full exhaust and it was way too much bike. I have about 3 years of experience with street bikes and I am in the market for an R6 now. Like all these guys and gals say, unless you're going to do something crazy like drag race, the R6 will work perfectly for you. I think they're the best combination of all the features that you could ever possibly want in a sport bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts