Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now I know this topic has been going on forever but I think I may have a solution to put it to rest. As I posted in another thread I have an 06 r1 motor lying around and I've been thinking about the possibility of an engine swap to my 06 r6. Now before you say anything, I dont want to just buy and r1 because I like the idea of the r6 competing with the r1. Also since I already have the r1 motor and the r6 I dont think its just wishful thinking to get the swap done for about 2gs.

So I spoke with the mechanic where I got my bike and he has done MANY motor swaps but never and r1/r6 swap. The dealership is currently doing an rebuild on an 07 r6 engine and have it out of the frame. He said if I can bring my r1 engine in he can see if it will fit in the r6 frame, in which case he could do an engine swap without too many problems. He said since I already have the complete motor he doesnt see why we can complete the project for under 2 grand (if there is enough room in the r6 frame). If the engine doesnt fit well then im shit out of luck but it cant hurt to try. I will let everyone know how it went on monday or tuesday. If it fits ill be starting the project immediatley :YEA

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Dude. Keep us posted. I would love to see this. I think it could be possible. Good luck.

On a side note. Getting a big bore kit for your R6 motor isn't a bad alternative if the R1 motor doesn't fit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Noleman said:
On a side note. Getting a big bore kit for your R6 motor isn't a bad alternative if the R1 motor doesn't fit.

Good luck!

what will that give u? like relation wise to the swap. if u put a r1 engine its going to give u say 75 more horse or so i don't know exact numbers, but what will a bore kit give u ?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know to be honest I doubt it will fit too. but atleast im actually trying to push the envelope instead of sitting around doing nothing with "doubts" and "maybe" This is something that hasnt been done before and if I have the opportunity to do something unique then im gonna take it

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 04 R6 and some guy around where i live swaped a r1 motor into his 04 R6. I remember him saying he had to do a ecu and some sensor swaps. If i see the guy around again ima get all the info on what he did incase if yah need a headsup on what your looking into. Plus! ive been very interested in doin the swap too lol Good luck with yours and keep us posted on what happens and what you find out!

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
07blackr6 said:
what will that give u? like relation wise to the swap. if u put a r1 engine its going to give u say 75 more horse or so i don't know exact numbers, but what will a bore kit give u ?
It will give you up to 37 more cc's(depending on which kit you get). 13.2:1 compression ratio. Probably about (just guessing) 15-18 bhp increase(conservative estimate). Maybe squeeze a few more horses out with some forged aluminum pistons. Now you can go a couple steps further and add racing cams and racing cam sprokets (exhaust and intake). YEC racing wire harness assembly. Racing cyl. head gasket. Y.E.C. Racing AIS Plug Set. All that might get you close to the horse power output that you seek, but it will cost you thousands and thousands of moolah!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since you have the R6, and have a R1 motor laying around..and all u gotta pay is bout 2 grand to get it up and runnin? That will be the best thing to do in my opinion. With just dropping the motor in you have a big power gain and good reliability. With boring it out and such, you gotta get a machine shop and stuff and just alot of stuff to go wrong later down the road. i say go for the R1 motor!

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you can get a 454 into an s-10 where a v6 was you should be able to get a litre into an r6 frame. Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Since my time here on this forum this topic came up a few times however I do not recall any one haveing any success at it. Perhaps we filled his head with doubts or he had never had the balls to push the envelope. Good luck with your quest.

Me on the other hand has came up with a bullet proof plan that would work.
Just put the R6 decals on an R1 bike! GARENTEED SUCCESS!

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
To go a little deeper on the big bore kit, It is not a good idea!

What little hp you will get out of the motor will be lost in the heat the motor creates by being bored out.

Heat robs you of horespower thats why we are always trying to find ways to cool the bike better!

Even just getting a thinner head gasket will raise your compression make more hp make more heat and in the long run you loss power.

These motors are thinned and and have minumum clearences all over them to keep weight down, thats why even porting the head on some bikes is such a touchy thing.
If you take away from cylinder walls and clearences your just asking for trouble.

Degree the cams, or get new ones.
Port your head.
Take any weight you can away.
Learn to ride your bike!! Thats an important one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is the most retarded thing I've read on this forum yet, there are so many reasons why you shouldn't do this. Yamaha spends millions engineering each model bike for optimum performance as is. Frame rigidity, swing arm pivot point, length, and rigidity, suspension, steering geometry, among many other things has been engineered to work with its engine as a unit. AT BEST, it would be a lot of work and money to build something that would be inferior to a standard R1. At worst it would be a dangerous ride that will bite your sorry ass as soon as a leg is thrown over it.

I really don't mean to sound harsh but my tolerance for stupidity has declined with age...

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
rchristian56 said:
To go a little deeper on the big bore kit, It is not a good idea!
What little hp you will get out of the motor will be lost in the heat the motor creates by being bored out.
Heat robs you of horespower thats why we are always trying to find ways to cool the bike better!
Even just getting a thinner head gasket will raise your compression make more hp make more heat and in the long run you loss power.
These motors are thinned and and have minumum clearences all over them to keep weight down, thats why even porting the head on some bikes is such a touchy thing.
If you take away from cylinder walls and clearences your just asking for trouble.
^^^^^^^ :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao ^^^^^^^^^
That was funny. Sorry dude, but ahhh NO. Yeah you get more heat but no its not going to cause a hugh problem.

I'll say it again because you might not have seen it.
Noleman said:
It will give you up to 37 more cc's(depending on which kit you get). 13.2:1 compression ratio. Probably about (just guessing) 15-18 bhp increase(conservative estimate). Maybe squeeze a few more horses out with some forged aluminum pistons. Now you can go a couple steps further and add racing cams and racing cam sprokets (exhaust and intake). YEC racing wire harness assembly. Racing cyl. head gasket. Y.E.C. Racing AIS Plug Set. All that might get you close to the horse power output that you seek, but it will cost you thousands and thousands of moolah!

Oh and bidwell. Boreing the motor will have no effect on anything you mentioned in your post. The only reason the motor is the size that it is for the racing class that its in. Trust me, if Yamaha could throw a litre motor in the R6 frame in the AMA supersport or any other supersport class, and get anyway with it,they would, you could count on it.

I have said it before and I will say it again, "there is no replacement for displacement."

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
bidwell said:
This is the most retarded thing I've read on this forum yet, there are so many reasons why you shouldn't do this. Yamaha spends millions engineering each model bike for optimum performance as is. Frame rigidity, swing arm pivot point, length, and rigidity, suspension, steering geometry, among many other things has been engineered to work with its engine as a unit. AT BEST, it would be a lot of work and money to build something that would be inferior to a standard R1. At worst it would be a dangerous ride that will bite your sorry ass as soon as a leg is thrown over it.

I really don't mean to sound harsh but my tolerance for stupidity has declined with age...
:stupic
Won't work. If you want to waist money give a poor family a better christmas.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Noleman said:
^^^^^^^ :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao ^^^^^^^^^
That was funny. Sorry dude, but ahhh NO. Yeah you get more heat but no its not going to cause a hugh problem.
Dont join any factory teams because your not cut out! If you dont know that the heat will rob any power you make by big boring you really shouldnt be building any race bikes soon I hope.

Buy hey you know it all I'm sure your some know it all punk that has done it all and seen it all.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Just to back up what I've said here you can go to www.onthethrottle.com/v2/ chick on the tune and wrench click on the video from David McGrath (Factory Honda) and he says straight out that creating more heat cancels out the hp you gain and it's a Quote"Cath 22"

But whats he know......

:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
this has nothing to do with the r1 swap and im am not taking sides just thought this was some unterssting info. The very very slow Veryon they say acually makes over 2g's hp. but the four turbos acually rob it of 999hp do to all of the heat generated. i read that in popular science.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.