Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed over to an R1 grip and throttle? I have heard it will decrease the amout of turning required to get to Wide Open Throttle.

How hard is it?

:drink

·
Registered
995 Posts
that doesn`t sound right. surely if it twists less your opening the engine up less

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
wasn't there a post on here somewhere about someone doing this already? I thought it was from around the time that I joined this bitchin site.....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
R1's have more of a quarter turn throttle. Meaning it only takes a quarter of a turn to have it wide open. You can do this, not sure how i'd like it at first, but would after awhile i'm sure. You can also buy race throttle kits that do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have ridden an R6 with a R1 throttle. It is quite different, yes, you have to turn the throttle less to open it up.

Good for wheelies.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The down side to this from what I have read is that the cables are quite stretched on full lock so slow speed manouvering can be a bitch - you also need to reroute the cables round the airbox to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yoyodyne makes a quick throttle kit. The kit comes with 3 different cams for the throttle. I think someone was selling one recently, do a search on ebay for yoyodyne.
Other than that, i think GYT-R makes a R6 race throttle, and i would assume others such as Graves etc.. would also. I'll do some searching.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, same results i got after doing some searching. :comp

I know i have seen more of them though! I talked to a guy on r6messagenet that has successfully done his own mod. Definitly want to do it now after all this work :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the guy that had one on here and was selling it, said he had over $200 in all to get the yoyodyne to work. I guess you have to buy an R1 kill switch assembly, or whatever. I still know i have seen quarter turn throttles for under $100 somewhere!!!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok, got closer, but no luck. LP makes them, for gixxer 750's, but didn't see anything else. $80

Called Graves, they have them, but don't stock or sell them :cuss

Hey WOLF, I'm sure you've got stuff to make and sell these, DO IT :mrgreen:

Either that, or i'm gonna go play with some Billet and see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
RedlineR6 said:
Yeah, same results i got after doing some searching. :comp

I know i have seen more of them though! I talked to a guy on r6messagenet that has successfully done his own mod. Definitly want to do it now after all this work :mrgreen:

Hey, that was me. :mrgreen:

It is still working great. I think I was into it like 15 bucks at the most. Did you ever see the complete how to I did on it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
loki1313 said:
eroki post it up here again for us.

It looks like I deleted all the pics off my server. I'll have to retake them.

Here is all the text if you need it. It will be the weekend before I can tear my bike apart again to re take the pics.

Keep in mind this is a bit more difficult then the older models. If you aren't very good at fabricating stuff, then I would suggest not trying this.

As always...I am not responsible for any mistakes made during this project and/or damage to person or property from a result of this modification.

Parts needed;some type of shim and a good plastic epoxy. I stared with a piece of PVC pipe I had lay around. It wasn't quite the right size so I cut this piece off of something I had laying around. It doesn't really matter what it's made of, preferably plastic. The size needs to be around 3mm thick, that is the same as the R1 tube difference.

Here is a pic of the "shim" I used.

Now take that ring and "glue" it onto the throttle tube. Make sure you sand both sides so the epoxy will stick. You'll have to cut the ring open to fit it over the tube.

Here is a pic of the ring piece epoxied onto the tube.

more shots of the tube.

Before you hook up the cables you'll need to test fit the tube to make sure it fits nicely. You'll notice that it won't fit back in its place. This is because you'll need to trim the two little "prongs" that sit in the housing. You can see in this pic I have them ground off. Sorry I don't have a before picture.

After I had this put together I had to do a bit of sanding on the throttle tube to get it to fit nicely. The key is to make it seamless. Make sure the shim doesn't hang off of the sides at all and fits nicely. Also make sure you have it glued on the tube really well. I made mine so it fit perfectly. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Just take you time and it should work out fine.

The last thing I had to do was cut a SMALL amount off of where the cable end seats. Here is a pic of that. I had to do this because the cable is a bit tight until you get it back together.

That's about it. One thing I didn't notice, for some dumb reason, is there is a little "nub" sticking out of the clip on the the housing has to fit into. Your modified tube won't fit right unless this is lined up. I know that sounds obvious but I missed it the first time.

After all of this just put it all back together like stock and adjust the cables as stated in the manual. Make sure to leave a bit of play, just like you are supposed to. Check it to make sure sure it snaps back into place and that it operates nice and smoothly. You don't want that to stick open.

If you start this mod and have any questions just ask on here. Or hit me up on msn if you need some help. Hope this helps.

Sorry about the lack of pics.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
someone had to have saved those pix over on messagenet!! I never did cause once i looked at your pictures it was like ......duh and I got it pictured exactly how to do it in my head. Just haven't yet :roll:

·
Registered
52 Posts
RedlineR6 said:
someone had to have saved those pix over on messagenet!! I never did cause once i looked at your pictures it was like ......duh and I got it pictured exactly how to do it in my head. Just haven't yet :roll:
Yep, once you see the pics it is obvious. :mrgreen:

·
Gixxer Rida
18 Posts
I have an instruction document from my old stomping grounds (r6messagenet). Its in word format, so any one who wants it just PM me. Its complete with parts number, etc..
I just basically copied the most important info that you will need.
As far as how does it feel? Well, lets just say you wont dare catch me on a bike with OEM R6 style throttle. Night and Day differences.
its totally :boob

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just a heads up for everyone. the part #'s etc and that write up that beafer mentioned is for 99-02 r6's

To do this to the '03, you have to actually modify the stock throttle tube as mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts