Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
I've ridden an 07 R1 and it was pretty amazing, but after about 30 min I was more than happy to be back on my 6.

Handling: Not as good as the R6. Can't flick it around as easily. With the R6 you can carve the sh*t out of corners and it will go where you are spotting throughout your line. On the R1 you fight it more and pray that it goes where you want it to go.

Power: difference is night and day, r1 vs. r6 is like a mustang GT vs. a porsche 911 turbo. The R1 is cranking out like 50+ more hp than the 6, not to mention its packing 400 more cc's. The R1 is a beast. First time I rode one I was terrified of 1st gear.

Seating Position: sit on both and see what is more comfortable to you. Personally, I was a little more comfy on the R1 but thats mostly because I'm 6"2' and its a bigger bike.

Everything Else: do your homework on both and read detailed reviews.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Yeah its pretty common sense why it doesnt handle as well......mario kart puts it quite well haha, nice

i also dont like the liter bikes as much as my 600....handles better, i feel more comfy on it, and just as an overall bike i love my 600 a million to 1 over the liter. But if you're really goin the liter bike route i prefer the R1 over the others

·
Mmm Hmmm
104 Posts
I had an 04 r1 and loved it. It handled good but the 6 handles a lot better. the 6 is a little more forgiving too. If you get on the 6 a little too hard it wont be as willing kick your arse like the r1. The R1 is a freaking beast.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ive ridden my dads candy red 07 r1 about 300ish miles and i love the power but like everyone has said...its too big,bulky,heavy for somebody like me to be comfortable on...im 5' 7" 165pds...this weekend, we are going to the drag strip to see how well the r6 stacks up against his r1...his is bone stock...the perf. mods i have are driven lightweight -1/+2 sprocket set with 520 xw ring chain, vortex 2" lowering link, gytr slipon, midpipe/cat delete, power commander III with map, bmc race filter....i think thats all..he doesnt have as much experience as i do, so the 6 may just have a chance..ill let yall know how it goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 06 r6 with 1 down front, 520 rk race chain, mid pipe, guted stock can, K&N air filter, and I run away from my buddys New 07 R1's like nothing from a dig, roll, corners.he's been riding for over 10 years and he's amazed with the bikes performance. I just dynoed my bike tonight and I made 115hp I dont have the tourqe but they told me it was aroung 50-60. The r6 hands down is the better of the two bikes

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 06 r6 with 1 down front, 520 rk race chain, mid pipe, guted stock can, K&N air filter, and I run away from my buddys New 07 R1's like nothing from a dig, roll, corners.he's been riding for over 10 years and he's amazed with the bikes performance. I just dynoed my bike tonight and I made 115hp I dont have the tourqe but they told me it was aroung 50-60. The r6 hands down is the better of the two bikes
No way. I have an 07 R6, 1 down on the front, with a MJS header. My previous bike was an 04 R1 and there is no way the R6 is going to "run away" from the R1. :screwy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really want to try riding one of the newer R1's. They look so damn good! I dont really see how they are much bigger though, I know i sat on one at the dealer before i got the 6 but cant remember the diff. In pictures the R1 looks so damn good.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
the r1 looks like shit and is for squids. Nobody ive ever seen can really "handle" the r1 at all. just because its a faster bike, dont mean its any better.

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts
I call :bsflag

·
Redline.......White Light
751 Posts
1:35 for an r6 vs. 1:33 for an r1, it is not rocket science to show that the only advantage an r1 has is staight aways. With an R1 you have to brake sooner into a curve and accerlate later. r6 is brake later, acclerate sooner. My friend has an 06 r1 stock with only slip on, we race on straights and he is only ahead of me 1/2 a bike until after 90-100 mph, then he smokes me. On back roads, that lead sled can't take the corners and he only catches up to me on straights. It may still be a bike, but it is about a 30lbs difference in the two, that is about 8% of the total weight. 50hp really only helps in straights, weight helps in corners. Just saying. Reguardless of performance they are both dead sexy bikes.

·
1 fat r1
283 Posts
I've ridden an 07 R1 and it was pretty amazing, but after about 30 min I was more than happy to be back on my 6.

Handling: Not as good as the R6. Can't flick it around as easily. With the R6 you can carve the sh*t out of corners and it will go where you are spotting throughout your line. On the R1 you fight it more and pray that it goes where you want it to go.

Power: difference is night and day, r1 vs. r6 is like a mustang GT vs. a porsche 911 turbo. The R1 is cranking out like 50+ more hp than the 6, not to mention its packing 400 more cc's. The R1 is a beast. First time I rode one I was terrified of 1st gear.

Seating Position: sit on both and see what is more comfortable to you. Personally, I was a little more comfy on the R1 but thats mostly because I'm 6"2' and its a bigger bike.

Everything Else: do your homework on both and read detailed reviews.
well said brotha:toocool:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.