Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently bought myself a 2004 YZF-R6. I am from South Africa. I am familiar with bikes but my mechanical knowledge is not so great.

The bike that I bought is like my mini project bike. There are a few things that i need to fix up. I would rather like to do it myself to gain the knowledge of the mechanics as well as getting to know my own bike.

Here is a small list of things:

- The speedo sensor is not showing speeds. (The guy i bought it from did install a new sensor so might be wiring)
- My break light is permanently on. (Think it might be the front break switch that is stuck)
- The lock mechanism does not actually lock the handle bar.
- Hooter not working. (also might be some wiring gone wrong)
- I have a PC3 that needs to be connected.

Some other stuff that I would like to mod:

- The headlight only lights one side and bright on the other. I would like to have headlights and brights on both sides. Is this possible?
- Shorty levers
- Foot pedals replacement.

Again, my mechanical knowledge is almost non-existent.
Any other tips and tricks are more than welcome.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
:wave Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

Does hooter = horn??

And the headlights are supposed to be that way, but if you install aftermarket ("angel" and "demon" lights) I think you can change it. The rest of the mechanical stuff... I'll leave for someone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes Hooter = Horn haha

thanks for the tips on the headlights will look into the aftermarket parts for that.

P.

·
Registered
151 Posts
:wave welcome!

i think you covered most of it. i would check all the wiring and then move from there. if everything seems right and you cant figure it out, check back :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

So last night I pulled the bad girl into the garage and started looking under the seats.

My first mission was to locate the speedo sensor. I followed some instructions I found on the this forum. I removed the top half of the air filter only to get stuck at the bottom of the air filter. I believe the rats nest is underneath the bottom half, however I could see the three pin plug of the sensor that leads under the bottom of the air filter. I didnt take it out for it looked like something i can re-assemble wrongly.

My second mission was to check the tail light, and my front break doesnt make that little click sound all bikes have when pulling the break. It looks like the button is either stuck or the spring is broken.

My third mission was to put on some new rubber for the handle bar, this i accomplished quite easily.

So I guess I would need to take it in to have a more professional opinion on the parts that needs fixing.

any tips here could also ease my mind.

thanks all

P

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Try unplugging the front brake light switch. It should be easy to find, 2 wires right by the pivot point of the front brake lever. If the brake light goes off, that's your problem for sure.

Speedo sensor isn't really under the air box, it's more behind it under the fuel tank. Could be a bad connection or a bad sensor. It's the 3 pin connection blue with yellow stripe, white with yellow stripe, and black with blue stripe. The last few pages of the service manual has a full colour wiring diagram that will help a lot.

Horn could just be done. I've had to replace the horn on both my bikes. You can buy a new generic one cheap. It's really just 12v power from the battery and a push button switch. Do your signals work? If not, it's likely a fuse. Otherwise, grab a multimeter and check that you're getting 12v at the plugs when you press the button. You can even try connecting 12v directly to the connections on the horn and see if it makes a noise. My guess is it won't because it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Spray!!

Thanks for the tips! I will have a look at it when i get home!

Edit: I see the 3 pin connector you are refering to, but the rest of the sensor is leading under the air-box. Does this mean the sensor is badly connected?

Something else happened this weekend when a few mates and I went for a ride. on the way back when i pull the front break it felt like something is lodged in the brake. After stopping and checking it doesnt look like its my break. Even if i drive over a little bump i get the same feeling. I think it might be the shocks or something else. I am not sure how to check this one out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again.

So tonight i have opened my baby up again...

I have detached the front brake switch, nothing changed, then reattached.
I have detached rear brake switch, nothing changed, then reattached.

Followed the brake light cable from the light to the mid body section where a 3 pin plug is connected, after disconnection the light was off. I tried to follow the cable to the rats nest but with no luck.

I believe the brake light might be connected to the head light cable thus leaving it on permanently.

Speedo sensor was very difficult, I have found the 3 pin plug and disconnected the sensor. However the actual sensor could not be disconnected for I dont have size xxxs hands...

So nothing has been fixed tonight. But I will keep at it to resolve the issue.

I did manage to find a leaking gas pipe and fixed that temporary, so I got that going for me...which is nice. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts