Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently my R6 has a really dangerous issue. The idle jumps to 4,000 or even 8,000 revs. Just terrifying when you are entering a corner smoothly braking and wondering why you slow down as expected to a point, then seem to just suddenly run on.

When the engine first starts it seems OK, but after a while this happens. It's not mechanical throttle sticking, although the behaviour is similar. Switching the bike completely off and then on again seems to reset it. If I turn the bike on and just leave it standing, at some point the revs rise all by itself.

Any ideas? This seems like a rare and very dangerous problem, I can't find anyone else reporting this weirdness.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Third gen bikes have both fuel and air controlled by ECU. TPS numbers should increment smoothly with no jitter or gaps; not respond differently to vibration and heat. Could also be the servos that control the airflow throttle plates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Somebody told me it's either the TPS or air getting into the system. I'm slow working on this but I had the airbox completely off and checked all the air hoses in and around the airbox, couldn't find anything wrong. I also now have a way to check the TPS reading, I I am going to ride around, wait for the problem and then check the TPS reading.

But your suggestion that the servos are sticking (open?) sounds also plausible. I guess the only way to check is to replace them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts