Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy's. I'm looking to buy a r6 from 2000 everthing is fine except it has a weird noise. Can you help me with that?. I.m from Eu and en it.s not my native language . I hope it.s only timing kit. And not somthing else like bearing rod or idk. It.s sound like in the top of the head on the right side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same problem, same sound with my 99 took the timing chain tensioner out felt good had what I thought was good spring tension I ended up replacing it anyways with a manual tensioner I haven't heard the sound since

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the same problem, same sound with my 99 took the timing chain tensioner out felt good had what I thought was good spring tension I ended up replacing it anyways with a manual tensioner I haven't heard the sound since
Best to replace with a manual one? or to go with the original one. In Eu is like 200 dollars more or less..the original one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would suggest going with a manual one and I do believe most guys and gals on here would agree. Here in America the manual tensioner is a hell of a lot cheaper than OEM from Yamaha

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,049 Posts
The OEM tensioner on the 1st and 2nd gens weren’t as prone to failure as the 3rd gen ones, because they don’t rely on oil pressure.
On 3rd gen R6’s I probably would recommend a manual CCT, because the downsides aren’t equal to the frequency of failure. But for 99-05 and R6S, the OEM CCT is better.

What are the downsides of a manual CCT?
First, setting the tension is somewhat of a “Feel” thing. For someone with experience, this isn’t a big deal, but for someone who isn’t that mechanically experienced, it could be. It isn’t something someone can explain to you. Too loose, and it will rattle (or worse jump time). Too tight, and you will wear out the chain guides. And you won’t know that until it’s too late.

Second, you have to periodically adjust it. And you’ll need to add it to you maintenance schedule. Again, for someone experienced, not an issue. But for the less experienced...see the first issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The OEM tensioner on the 1st and 2nd gens weren’t as prone to failure as the 3rd gen ones, because they don’t rely on oil pressure.
On 3rd gen R6’s I probably would recommend a manual CCT, because the downsides aren’t equal to the frequency of failure. But for 99-05 and R6S, the OEM CCT is better.

What are the downsides of a manual CCT?
First, setting the tension is somewhat of a “Feel” thing. For someone with experience, this isn’t a big deal, but for someone who isn’t that mechanically experienced, it could be. It isn’t something someone can explain to you. Too loose, and it will rattle (or worse jump time). Too tight, and you will wear out the chain guides. And you won’t know that until it’s too late.

Second, you have to periodically adjust it. And you’ll need to add it to you maintenance schedule. Again, for someone experienced, not an issue. But for the less experienced...see the first issue.
Ty for the the reply guy's. I will buy an oem tensioner..i will remove the old one to see if is it in the maximum position. If is it i guess i will need a new chain as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I.m back. I remove the bottom cap and i dont know if this is normal. But chain was a litle bit loose. After i turn a bit the crank the chain seems to be tighten. I put some img before and after rotating the crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts