Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
We’ve done a whole bunch of them. It’s always a pain in the ass to get it on the bike 100%. Lots of lining things up and test fitting the race bodywork over it. Tweaking the hose lengths and wrapping the one hose that is either nearly on the header or on the #4 header tube. There’s one model of the radiator that is always on eBay that we’ve used. We reuse one of the hoses oem and cut it just right to connect the two together. There’s a couple different ways I’ve seen the hoses run on it. The way we run them is what I feel to be the most beneficial. There is a significant increase in cooling and increase in warmup time with the sub rad. We run it on endurance bikes, Daytona 200 bikes, and our superbike built R6’s also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! probably the best way is to connect it with Y hose for the cold and hot water. Do you use specific hose silicon brand as SAMCO ?

·
R6 Newb
9 Posts
We’ve done a whole bunch of them. It’s always a pain in the ass to get it on the bike 100%. Lots of lining things up and test fitting the race bodywork over it. Tweaking the hose lengths and wrapping the one hose that is either nearly on the header or on the #4 header tube. There’s one model of the radiator that is always on eBay that we’ve used. We reuse one of the hoses oem and cut it just right to connect the two together. There’s a couple different ways I’ve seen the hoses run on it. The way we run them is what I feel to be the most beneficial. There is a significant increase in cooling and increase in warmup time with the sub rad. We run it on endurance bikes, Daytona 200 bikes, and our superbike built R6’s also.

Are you referring to the exotic racing race radiators????

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am curious? Do you have overheating issues with endurance racing? From your pic, you race? I race expert, short distances with my 17 R6 at several different tracks in the 100 degree heat of Texas, NM, AZ and Cali and only have an issue at the start line (if we sit for to long) with High temp. Once I am moving no more problem. I have yet to do an endurance 2hr plus. If this is something you do regularly, please advise me. As for 2020 I am looking forward to trying an endurance race. I appreciate your time on how your build is going.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
I am curious? Do you have overheating issues with endurance racing? From your pic, you race? I race expert, short distances with my 17 R6 at several different tracks in the 100 degree heat of Texas, NM, AZ and Cali and only have an issue at the start line (if we sit for to long) with High temp. Once I am moving no more problem. I have yet to do an endurance 2hr plus. If this is something you do regularly, please advise me. As for 2020 I am looking forward to trying an endurance race. I appreciate your time on how your build is going.

We have many R6’s running a standard cooling system and 2-4 hour endurance races. So it’s definitely not a requirement.

We do like to run the sub rad on super bike built R6’s. And if we do run it on a supersport r6 racing endurance I can tune it a bit differently for more fuel economy and it will stay cool enough with the sub rad.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Thanks! probably the best way is to connect it with Y hose for the cold and hot water. Do you use specific hose silicon brand as SAMCO ?
The sub radiators we’ve been getting come with some silicone hoses to attach it. And we reuse one of the oem hoses and cut it to fit from the one rad to the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sub radiators we’ve been getting come with some silicone hoses to attach it. And we reuse one of the oem hoses and cut it to fit from the one rad to the other.

Thanks for the info. With all the upgrades I have done, trying to stay SS. Anything else would move me up to Superbike. But, I didnt know if this radiator Add/upgrade, if it would disqualify me from SS and put me in SB? Also, how much weight does it add to the bike? Curious as I would hate to do my first 2hr and drop because of overheating? I had to do that in a BMW M3 4.0L with the Dinan 4.6L upgrade and we did our first 8hr endurance and had to drop from overheating. Yes its car racing, but still the same frustration in my mind. Thanks for your time.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Thanks for the info. With all the upgrades I have done, trying to stay SS. Anything else would move me up to Superbike. But, I didnt know if this radiator Add/upgrade, if it would disqualify me from SS and put me in SB? Also, how much weight does it add to the bike? Curious as I would hate to do my first 2hr and drop because of overheating? I had to do that in a BMW M3 4.0L with the Dinan 4.6L upgrade and we did our first 8hr endurance and had to drop from overheating. Yes its car racing, but still the same frustration in my mind. Thanks for your time.
If the bike is tuned right it shouldn’t overheat. Especially if the weather conditions aren’t extreme. I’m not sure on the added weight. Maybe 5-7 lbs? It’ll hold an additional few lbs of water/coolant and the rad itself is AL so maybe a few lbs. with this setup I can run a bike leaner than I would normally and it will stay cool. But I also had a team with no subrad have one rider do nearly 40 laps in 100 degree heat without this setup. It’s all about the tuning. I spend most of my day every day on the dyno and I put a lot of special attention into these tunes for endurance guys. More laps and less fuel stops can make a win

1 - 10 of 10 Posts