Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can someone explain what exactly the difference is between the r6 and the r6s, im looking to get new shorty levers to replace the ones on my 05 r6s but when i was putting in the year they had the 06 r6s so im not sure if the r6s is a certain year time frame how any of that works, tried looking up this but the information is so screwy from them i dont know what to believe, any help i would appreciate thanks!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
it's not their fault. its yamaha's fault.

basically the R6s was made originally from 2003 to 2005 and never has the s at the end. they redesigned the R6 for 2006. but kept making the old R6 and used s at the end. it replaced the yzf600r. which was a more comfy upright style of sportbike. like the suzuki katana. they continued making the R6s up to 2009.
the 2005 had a few things about it that made it different. it's a bastard child lol. it had the inverted forks like the 2006, radial mount brakes like the 2006 which is why the listing gets confusing.
I'm not 100% sure if the redesigned 2006 and the 2005 can use the same brake lever since they seem to share the same brakes and forks setup. after 2005 the R6s went back to being the exact same bike as the 2003 and 2004. it didnt have the inverted forks or radial mounted brakes. you have a very special R6. as in it's retarded lol.
you can always look up the parts on a site that sells OEM parts. if the part numbers match you know for sure it's interchangeable. www.partshark.com

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,841 Posts
BTW the 03-05 bikes were not called “R6S”. Yamahas uses a letter to designate a model year. In 03 it was “R”, in 04 it was “S”, and in 05 it was “T”. 06 was the new body and was the YZF-R6V So if you look up parts diagrams the model designations will be YZF-R6R, YZF-R6S, YZF-R6T, YZF-R6V. In 06 they decided to keep offering the older bike but it was identical to the 04 model (keeping costs down by eliminating the upside down fork, better brakes and other things unique to the 05). The 04 year designation was “S”, so they tacked that to the end of the model name. Thus the YZF-R6S. And the year designation is at the end of that (2006 was YZF-R6SV). There are also color codes and a California model code but that’s not the point of this conversation.

The problem came when people on the internet started using R6R to refer to the 3rd gen R6 to try to distinguish between it and the S model. It was never called that by Yamaha and in fact the only “R6R” designation was in 03. But just like all tissue paper has become Kleenex, and all copiers have become Xerox machines, the term has stuck.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
BTW the 03-05 bikes were not called “R6S”. Yamahas uses a letter to designate a model year. In 03 it was “R”, in 04 it was “S”, and in 05 it was “T”. 06 was the new body and was the YZF-R6V So if you look up parts diagrams the model designations will be YZF-R6R, YZF-R6S, YZF-R6T, YZF-R6V. In 06 they decided to keep offering the older bike but it was identical to the 04 model (keeping costs down by eliminating the upside down fork, better brakes and other things unique to the 05). The 04 year designation was “S”, so they tacked that to the end of the model name. Thus the YZF-R6S. And the year designation is at the end of that (2006 was YZF-R6SV). There are also color codes and a California model code but that’s not the point of this conversation.

The problem came when people on the internet started using R6R to refer to the 3rd gen R6 to try to distinguish between it and the S model. It was never called that by Yamaha and in fact the only “R6R” designation was in 03. But just like all tissue paper has become Kleenex, and all copiers have become Xerox machines, the term has stuck.
yeah worded that badly. and I did never made that connection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so my best bet would be to find shorty levers for an 06 r6 then?
Yep. The master cylinder part# is the same , so the levers for an 06 R6 will work.
Now i have another question out of curiousity, the sticker on the side for the vin says 11/04, but title says 05,is it indeed an 05 and has 05 parts on it and i should be fine with that lever or is it an 04 with 04 parts on it ?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
its an 05. most manufactures start building the next year bikes in like september. the sticker has to say the build date. that's why the vins have a model year as the tenth digit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts