Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm new on the forum.

I'm hesitating between a Yamaha R6 and a Kawasaki Z750 for my first bike. I drove 2 years on a 50cc and 1 year and a half on a 125cc. Now i want to pass to a bigger bike.

I have some questions :

- For people who drove does two bikes which one do you prefer ? And why ?
- Is it a good bike to start with as a big bike ?
- How is it to drive it in the city ?
- Is it a good everyday bike ?

Would you have some advices, i'm here to take advices from people who have experience and who know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My goal isn't to kill myself on a bike or to show off. I want to buy a bike and enjoy riding it and respect it. Have you already tried the Kawasaki Z750 ? Or have you heard any good or bad things about it ? Thanks

·
My R6 eats Cookies.
238 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My goal isn't to kill myself on a bike or to show off. I want to buy a bike and enjoy riding it and respect it. Have you already tried the Kawasaki Z750 ? Or have you heard any good or bad things about it ? Thanks
No, I haven't rode the z750, but the bike will only do what you make it do. Just learn control of the bike before you try imitating batman movies.

·
scared of big tracks
8,491 Posts
Do a search. You'll find TONS of threads about this. For me it all comes down to self control. If you can control your wrist you can start out on a Busa.

N/A

As long as you can control your wrist you will be fine. I started on an r6 and so have a couple other buddies (no problems).

Any bike will suck in city (stop and go) driving.

Sure.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Do a search. You'll find TONS of threads about this. For me it all comes down to self control. If you can control your wrist you can start out on a Busa.

N/A

As long as you can control your wrist you will be fine. I started on an r6 and so have a couple other buddies (no problems).

Sure.
Stop and go on a bike? :p

·
Registered
561 Posts
the one thing i'll add in addition to the wrist control would be that the r6 is very aggresively set up and can be kind of twitchy/finicky if you're not used to an aggressive sport bike. the r6 was my first bike but i grew up riding motocross and rode countless friends sportbikes for several years before i bought mine

if you're really careful then you can handle the r6 as a first bike. you just cant ever forget what it can do if you arent careful

as far as an every day bike, i have no problems riding it every day

as far as the city goes, it would annoy me because you cant go fast at all, but as far as is it hard to ride it in the city? no

·
Registered
445 Posts
this is a yamaha forum, right?

just joshin yah.. try em both out, see which YOU like better..
i think they're pretty much very similar..

like others have said, if you respect the bike, you'll be fine on either one..
if you can't control your wrist.. both spell disaster..

either way, good luck with everything and keep her shiny side up!

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
I started on an R6 when I was 15.. You should be fine as long as you aren't stupid and respect it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The inability to read the title thread and know its a repost about a topic someone could have used the search function but didn't and then proceeding to post rants about the fact when you could have just not clicked on the post link is just as annoying as your "use the search button" comments

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
never had experience on motorcycles only thing that came close to it was atv's which is worlds apart. respect the bike dont be a jackass take things slow and youll be more than fine and make sure you pay good attention to every single thing around you.

i use mine as my daily love it had about 3 months now have close to 4000 miles thing is to much fun to drive once you get comfy on it. only thing im wanting to do is get a more comfy seat. but all the sport bikes are the same jsut get whichever looks best to you

R6 is the best looking bike btw :fact:

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts

N/A

Sure.
:stupic

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
The inability to read the title thread and know its a repost about a topic someone could have used the search function but didn't and then proceeding to post rants about the fact when you could have just not clicked on the post link is just as annoying as your "use the search button" comments

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
the r6 is, absolutely, not a good bike to start on. every sane person "tries" to control their wrist and respect the power and all that, but the long and short of it is this; you will one day grab too much throttle or brake completely unintentionally and go for a very quick, very short ride.

even amongst the other sport bikes i've ridden, the r6 is twitchy and always ready to bite.

people who start on a supersport will undoubtedly follow one of two general paths; 1) you will be very careful and learn at approximately half the rate at which other riders develop their skills, or 2) you will crash.

i was stubborn, too, and followed path #1 for the most part. learning how to ride was a pain in the ass because i learned the consequences of twisting the throttle too quickly early-on and developed a fear of either spinning up the rear tire or chopping the throttle and falling.

is there anything really wrong with starting out on a big bike? not really, just plan on a learning curve that's twice as long as someone who didn't. why would you want to do that to yourself?

s3aturnr

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
^^ This could happen on any bike.

fwiw, My bike is my first bike. I had ZERO motorcycle experience up until a week before I got my 6. I rode a friends 636 for a week and then bought my bike brand new. I've had it for a little over 2 years and 22k miles. I have NEVER gone down while riding. The only times my bike has been laid over was 1. when some douche backed into it and 2. when I got rear ended at a stoplight.

If you want the R6, get the R6.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
^^ This could happen on any bike.
yeah, but it's a lot less likely to happen on a sv-650 or a 250 ninja. AND, someone who starts on a less powerful bike is likely to learn a lot quicker than someone like me, who didn't...

s3aturnr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts