Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Ok... So I know this topic has probably been posted about 1000 times... but I want to ask it in reference to my exact situation. I am looking at buying either an 08 R6 or an 08 R6S as my starter bike but from what I hear this isnt the best idea. I have been riding around on a friends Ninja 250 for about 2 months now and I want to buy my own bike. I have had dirtbikes growing up (I know there not the same!). Also to add... I am 28 years old, responsible, and absolutley no plans of stunt riding (props for the people that do though, just not for me). Is this a bad decision for a bike??? :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
R6 is a great starter bike and also a bike for life. Its great because it is so lite and not hard to handle, but there will be some insane power that you've never felt before riding a dirtbike or a 250 street bike. One day you'll master it, but always respect the bike, it does 170 MPH and can kill you at anytime.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't see why not. I too grew up on dirt bikes. Raced flat track for most of my life(am 50 now). There are some really good road racers that used to race flattrack. I got my R6 in May, took it easy while learning to ride. Took me a month to lose the chicken strips. Having a ball riding twisties on the way to work everyday. The R6 is probably the best handling bike out there. So, in my opinion, it's not a bad choice, just be careful because it's probably a lot more powerful than that Ninja 250 you've been riding. Most of the power comes on at around 10,000 rpm and comes on hard, especially in the lower gears. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
o jesus this exact almost down to the word question is something i have read at least 20 times since summer started im all for get what you want but the s would deffinately be a *better choice as it has more usable power down low for street riding. and lets face it if you dont plan on tracking it then other than the aggressive looks there is no reason to get the standard

other then that welcome to the board and search search search threads before posting questions

[/IMG]

·
The R is for Respect
47 Posts
I got an 03 R6 (same as the 08 R6S) as my first bike. I love it and don't regret one bit. I had one mishap the first day because it started raining while I was on a ride and the road got slick. I went down doing 5-7mph. It wasn't too bad. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't choose any other bike.

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts
r6 was my first bike too - just take it easy at first....you said you have ridden a 250 for the past couple months, so technically, it wouldnt be the first bike youve ridden, just the first you have owned.

i say do it. i did, and have loved every second of it! :D

·
Registered
767 Posts
You'll be happy with the r6, you seem like you'll respect the bike, which is the main thing. If you've gotten the feel of that 250 and you like the quick, easy handling then you'll really appreciate the r6 :D My first bike was a ninja 250 that accumulated 10k miles, second bike was an 06 r6 which now has 12k miles.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Here's the problem. Everyone is telling you to "be careful" and "respect the bike" and other BS. The problem is you can't really be careful or respect something when you have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the potential these bikes have. I've been riding for 6 years (about 60,000 miles) and have a few track days under my belt, all on 600s. I seriously doubt that I would be in the same position if I had tried starting on a supersport. My R6S is still capable of amazing me at times with how much power it has available. The brakes can toss you over the clipons if you aren't ready. The handling is razor sharp, which is great for racing, but it can be problematic for someone just starting out. In short, a superposrt is NOT, never has been, and never will be a good starter bike.

If you're interested in learning how to ride for real and the Ninja 250 doesn't float your boat, look for a Suzuki SV650 or the Ninja 650. Those two bikes are far more capable than most riders. But they are also far easier to learn to ride than a supersport. Personally, I started on a Suzuki Bandit 600. I rode it for a couple of years and put about 33,000 miles on it. I was dragging the footpegs and locking up the front brake whenever I felt like it before I ever considered moving to a supersport. When I got my first supersport, I had to re-learn a lot about riding because it was at a whole new level of power and performance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i rode an 03 r6 for the first time. loved it. but i bought a kawi 636 and i liked the bike but the specific bike had lots of problems, if i wanted to stunt it it would of been great but i was not interested in that. SO my friend who let me ride that 03 (found earlier in this story) let me ride his 07 r6. I liked it so much i went out the next day and bought a 07 r6 and enjoyed it since. I am 22 wrecked it once and have yet to full throttle it ever. no redlines nothing. and i still understand that I have never reached its power. I WOULD suggest an r6S the r6(r) is a very aggressive bike and is great for track the S is very suitable for the street. remember tho the S is the same bike that won awards 3 years ago so its still a great bike.

·
Alive and Well
20 Posts
Perfect bike for first bike. I have never ridden a motorcycle before I bought mine. Rode a dirt bike a couple times and four-wheelers all my life, so the controls were nothing new to learn. But the power was definitely what I had to learn to handle. You will have a blast learning its capabilities. Ive had my r6 for just over a month and still havent pushed the rpm's yet. I havent gone over 10k rpms yet because all the power before than is good enough for me. I passed my rider course two weeks ago, and it down poured on the ride home. That was a blast, but I would have never chose to be on something different. Definitely taught me a lesson on that ride home. BTW, I just turned 20.

·
I sold my R6
229 Posts
I say go for it. Take a safety course, try and ride safe, and wear proper gear. I think a person can kill themself or get killed on a 250 just as good as a 600, just maybe not with the same velocity. And I'd recommend a used one to save some money.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Perfect bike for first bike. I have never ridden a motorcycle before I bought mine. Rode a dirt bike a couple times and four-wheelers all my life, so the controls were nothing new to learn. But the power was definitely what I had to learn to handle. You will have a blast learning its capabilities. Ive had my r6 for just over a month and still havent pushed the rpm's yet. I havent gone over 10k rpms yet because all the power before than is good enough for me. I passed my rider course two weeks ago, and it down poured on the ride home. That was a blast, but I would have never chose to be on something different. Definitely taught me a lesson on that ride home. BTW, I just turned 20.
This post takes the cake. See you in a month when you post your "crashed my R6" thread. :lmao

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should be fine if your careful. I'm 19 bought an 08' r6 as my first bike ever and my first ride on a bike was back from the dealership with the new 6. Have 2,000 miles on her now and no problems so far, just be careful and with a bit of luck you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my first bike was a r6 and pretty much kept the rpms low. practiced alot in my neighborhood. for me the bike isnt all that powerful to where if i blip the throttle ill lose control. pretty easy to ride.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As long as you respect the bike you will be fine. I started with an R6 as my first bike did just fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts