Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I just bought a 2008 r6 and I'm loving it. I've been browsing the forums trying to dig up some information regarding the stator/rectifier since I'm having some trouble with the bike.

I had to replace the battery yesterday after a short ride because it died on me at a light. I rode for about another hour after I got the new battery and it died on me again at another light. However I managed to get it started and was able to keep it alive back to the house (down the road) by keeping the rpms a little high.

Once I got the darn thing back to the garage it started over and over again with no issues. I figured maybe the battery needed some juice and it wasn't fully charged yet since it was new.

I tested the battery with the bike running and not running today using my multimeter.

Idle @ 12.2 ~ 12.6
5,000 rpm @ 14.05 ~ 14.08

I haven't yet tested the resistance of the stator or checked for any of the plugs being burnt, but I'm not sure if I need too considering I get the expected voltages.

Is there another factor here that can be contributing to my loss of electrical? Is there a part that may be getting too hot? I believe I saw a temp of about 215 while cruising around.

Anyone who's got a few tips for me outside of what I have done so far would be a great help.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
215F isn't horrible short term, but not ideal. did it go down once you got moving ? are the fans kicking on ? will the bike idle good or only if you are giving it throttle..

i would say your reg/rec and stator are doing their job since you see 14vt at 5000rpm.
Charge the battery, and test with the bike off, but 12.6 is darn good. Fully charged bike off, i think 12.7vt is 100% charged. 12.24vt is only 50%, 12.06 is 25%.. any blow that is junk.
If the reg/rec was having an issue, you would expect spikes in voltage, well above 14vt. Pull the plug on the r/r and make sure it's not burnt on any of the connections. While it's off, slop some dielectric grease in there before plugging back in.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
215F isn't horrible short term, but not ideal. did it go down once you got moving ? are the fans kicking on ? will the bike idle good or only if you are giving it throttle..

i would say your reg/rec and stator are doing their job since you see 14vt at 5000rpm.
Charge the battery, and test with the bike off, but 12.6 is darn good. Fully charged bike off, i think 12.7vt is 100% charged. 12.24vt is only 50%, 12.06 is 25%.. any blow that is junk.
If the reg/rec was having an issue, you would expect spikes in voltage, well above 14vt. Pull the plug on the r/r and make sure it's not burnt on any of the connections. While it's off, slop some dielectric grease in there before plugging back in.
MELK-MAN,

The fans do run and I did notice the temp go up and down, now that I know what I should expect it to be I'll keep a closer eye on it.

I'm new to this and I'm actually not a real big gear head, can you help me out with your abbreviations? Not sure what r/r is.

Idle seems okay.. I'll have to listen to some videos and get an expectation of what it should sound like. It's not stuttering and the rpms are not bouncing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.