Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is very popular with suzukis to put an intake cam on the exhaust and another intake cam on the intake. Is this possible on an R6? Anyone done it? Anyone milled a head yet? I have an 04r6 and its time to dig inside of it. So, what can be done?

Full system
pc3
slide stops
stacks
timing advance
yec head gasket
520 swap

These seem to me to be the things that will make a real improvement. Im thinking the 05 R6 intake cam, throttle bodies ,and computer will be a good start too. ANY one looked into this?
Philip

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
sounds like an ambitious project.

With swaping the 05 and 04 internals make sure that they actually fit. Considering the 05 has 3 or 4 more HP then the 04, they might have tweaked the internals along with the airbox and FI system to gain the exta HP.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
ya, Redline and I were talking about the newer TB's from the 05's. Not sure if they will mate up to the 03-04 heads but I don't think they re-engineered the heads externally, only changed out cams and TB's. I believe the 03-04 TB's are 38mm and the new ones are 40mm.

not heard about putting an intake cam on the exhaust side though.

there all also like 5 different gasket sizes you can get to up your squish!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just want to find a low boost turbo for mine my neighbor has a gsxr turbo and two 750 gpz turbo's. Gotta love that sound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Penfold,
The r6 exhaust cam has the cam position sensor on it. It appears its not a dirrect swap but could be made to work. there is .033" more lift on a 04 intake then the exhaust. The base circle is the same size but here is the catch. You would need a custom cam gear to take in account the flange angle, and the real hard part you would need a way to trigger the CID sensor since the intake cam does not have a part for that. Im thinking a small steel clamp could mount onto the cam since the middle is smooth. Sounds risky but really simple. I just so happen to know a cnc programer and machinist. ME. Personally if the cam is priced cheap enough ill try it. The YEC cams are 550 or so each. Im in that business and thats way too much money. I dont care what anyone says it does not cost that much to make a cam. I need to find out for sure if the 05 even has differant cams at all. Anyone SURE of this? Yamahas site says new Tbs stacks and improved map made the 3 hp. No mention of cams and their parts fische doesnt go to 05 to check P/Ns
Phil

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I can't find a single thing to verify that they did swap out the cams. if they did, i would think they would mention that in their list of improvements. it would, to me anyways, make sense to change the lift/duration of the cams given the greater flow of the new TB's and intake stax to take advantage of that increased flow.

I wonder how well this cam swap would work with the velocity porting (ala mototuneusa) that Redline is going to try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Penfold,
Even if the new cams are not larger lift the duration or working angle may have chaged. Gota watch for that trickery. Even though you could change the working angle with cam gears to some degree. Have you put cam gears on your bike at all? Im not sure of your mods. Any improvemnt? Do they feel like they could be machined to be lighter? Thye look pretty swiss cheesed to me, but never know.
Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Penfold,
Just called the stealership and they told me the part numbers for the two camshafts are the SAME. 2004 and 2005 intake and exhaust are same P/n. So if anything happed to the cams it happened on the gears.
Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its really a common thing to do in the other brand bikes. Suzukis for example. People have been putting intake came on the exhaust of busas for quite some time. Also people have been doing the same on sv650 v twins. Not sure about the gixxer. Ive only rode them never tried to do anything with them.
Phil

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
phils88gt said:
Penfold,
Even if the new cams are not larger lift the duration or working angle may have chaged. Gota watch for that trickery. Even though you could change the working angle with cam gears to some degree. Have you put cam gears on your bike at all? Im not sure of your mods. Any improvemnt? Do they feel like they could be machined to be lighter? Thye look pretty swiss cheesed to me, but never know.
Phil
penfold said:
it would, to me anyways, make sense to change the lift/duration of the cams given the greater flow of the new TB's and intake stax to take advantage of that increased flow.
ya, i figured if they change one, they prolly changed the other as well. I haven't yet put cam gears on my bike but its something i had considered doing come springtime. the Graves slotted cam gears allow for some flexibility and they don't look to cheap but i have never seen them in person. I'm only judging from the pics. if you had a set of them, do you think you could replicate and CNC some out of billet or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Penfold,
It looks to me that all graves and everone else is doing is just slotting the bolt holes to follow the radius so they can be adjusted. The stock gears are so cheap from yamaha its not worth remaking them. I was going to try slotting some at the machine shop but I dont have any spares. I was planning to do it with this cam swap but it doesnt look like there is anything to actrually swap. Sorta disapoints me as I was all ready to buy the cams.. Im guessing the gears are made of nothing special and probably are not that hard so they should machine easily. In the event they are actually hard I could EDM the shape we want. However, for what places charge for cam gears they cant be doing it on a EDM. Way to expensive. (For those that dont know EDM is a process of machining by spark erosion you burn the metal away. This process is very very acurate and has no cutting pressure so it can cut small intricate shapes. Primary uses of the EDM is extremely hard metals, very very small thin intricate shapes, and obsucre interior shapes that cant be broached. Also EDM is as slow as watching paint dry. Which makes it very costly)

Phil

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've also been looking around for cam options. And yes, everything is very pricey with the exception of adjustable cam gears.

$500 for a cam is rediculous. And I'm not really wanting to pay $500 to have a set built up and reshaped either.

That's why gears and degreeing the cams is looking more like my plan everytime i think of it.

But, let me know if you find any other options for cams.

I also read about yamaha switching cams on the '05 but they must not have if the part#'s are the same.

As far as the throttle bodies go, all you might have to do is get the '05 intake boots. And i bet they cost about $25 a piece.

You could try the velocity porting like Penfold mentioned. I just got a spare head and am gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I just still gotta decide with the whole JB Weld inside of my intakes! :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Redline,
The cam gears probably are only worth 1-2hp on a really well tuned engine. Which is why im not really going to dig in there just for that. Deporting the head however is decent idea. Im really curious if we could rev the r6 faster. Obviously the valve train is one big issue. Upgrading to titanium vlaves could help quite a bit. Not sure what r1 valves cost but I bet they could be made to work. I didnt mean faster like 18krpm I mean faster like get it up to 12k quicker.
phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scratch that idea. R1 valves are titnium yes, and stem size is the same but they are smaller than the R6 valves
Phil

·
Registered
102 Posts
you can get your cams reprofiled pretty cheap. here in the uk everything is expensive compared to the states and it cost me £100 to get them reprofiled.

as for the adjustable cam sprockets you can do them yourself with a round needle file a piece of piss. no joke just copy the GRAVES ones.

the hardest bit is dialing the cams in which i leave to the expert. £25 quid later job sorted

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I am currently making/designing a variable length intake system for a Formula Student car.

We are using an 04 R6 motor, unfortunetly with a 20mm restrictor :cuss

I was wondering if you could tell me the standard cam specs (mainly interested in intake duration) so I can work out the tuned lengths.

Cheers

Matt :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I would suggest reading up on MV Augusta's system on the F4 1000 Tamburini Edition.

It really didn't make enough improvement to make it worth while to try to replicate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a little experience with cams...Like he said, I happen to have an 04 GSXR 1000 and there is a 750 cam swap mod that can be done to the GSXR to get some more HP. I was not happy with those gains, so I bought some WEB cams. I gained 13 HP from my new ones...Here is some info right out of my WEB Cam catalog for you Cam Guru's...These are race cams and require Higher compression pistons and exhaust..

Cam #1 - Replica of kit profile
Valve lift - .335/.298
Duration - 278/266 Degrees
Duration @ .050 - 254/240 Degrees
Grind Number - 818/819

Cam #2 - Mid and top end gains
Valve lift - .330/.305
Duration - 282/270 Degrees
Duration @ .050 - 258/247 Degrees
Grind Number - 174+5/36 Degrees

Cam #3 - Race profile
Valve lift - .338/.317
Duration - 281/270 Degrees
Duration @ .050 - 257/246 Degrees
Grind Number - 159e/292

These are hard weld cams...

My catalog (MSRP) is 653.00
Dealer cost is 489.75
This is the cost on all 3 sets of cams

I included the 1st cam, because its in there catalog. It does not state that you get any gains, just says replica of kit profile (Stock cams maybe?)

They say 2000-2002 year models, but I called Web a while back and they said that these cams were the same for the 03-04's....The 05's were not out yet....Sorry, no info on that for you....

Check out their web site at Webcamshafts.com

·
Registered
155 Posts
any one have hp gains for the race and non race cams for the r6s from web?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts