Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I am looking for some help with my 2003 R6.
I have checked my clutch adjustments and I can be 100% sure they are fine, I will be in 1st gear with the clutch in and the bike can roll freely.

If i rev it up in 1st with the clutch in it starts to engage gear almost like an auto.

This gets worse as it gets warm and makes it hard to change gears while riding. I really want to resolve this as i know the R6 gearboxes arent particularly strong to begin with and forcing gear changes will quickly give me issues...

NOTE: this is on all gears, just using first as an example.

Thanks

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
If your clutch is acting like a torque converter you more than likely don't have the clutch adjusted right. Not sure what all you checked but if the cables slack is correct then you probably don't have the clutch arm adjusted right and the pull rod is off a tooth. Clutch springs don't just tighten up on their own and your clutch would work less not more if there was something truly wrong with it. How long have you had the bike, when did the problem start and has the clutch been replaced any time recetly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has happened since i got the bike, i have never done any clutch work on it and i have only had it a few months so i dont know when it began or anything else.

i have spoken to 3x mechanics who all told me it could be different things.

the first told me it could be some of my clutch plates are stuck together
the next told me it could be the adjustment on the clutch and the third one told me it could be the pressure plate is worn and not providing sufficient pressure.

i would have thought that if the adjustment at the base of the clutch was out and I had adjusted the cable at the handle to the point it was slipping it would mean it wasnt a cable adjustment???

Also this problem is not there 100% of the time, sometimes it runs like it should.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, i dont know the history of the bike, i believe it was sitting for a while before i bought it and if i put it in first i can roll the bike backwards, ect with the clutch in so it is not engaging at this point.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Well two of those mechanics could be right and know what they are talking about. The 3rd one is a moron worn pressure plates would result in the clutch slipping and not grabbing as it should, not grabbing when it shouldn't. Look down at the bottom of the clutch arm. Matter of fact I think i have a video on youtube I made for a guy on here having problems adjusting his clutch arm. Check the slack in the cable should be like 10-15mm or something like that. Basically you don't want there to be constant tension in the cable. One other thing to check since you said it's an intermitten problem, follow the cable and make sure it isn't binding up anywhere. It could be a routing issue. Try turning your bars and pulling the clutch lever repeatively as you turn from lock to lock. If the lever feels harder to pull one way than another then that could be your issue and you migh just need to reroute the cable. If worse comes to worse and you have to dig into the clutch it's a pretty easy job.

Here is that vid. Might be hard to see but you are trying to see how the dot stamped into the clutch arm matches up with the down arrowhead casted into the clutch cover above the arm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I think my puller arm is on correctly,
I have looked at the markings and mine is pretty much lined up, maybe the dot is 1-2mm to the left of the arrow like his was in the clip. (note that is with my cable connected without the clutch handle been pulled in).

I take it this means I will have to pull the clutch cover off and inspect my plates, clutch housing, ect and ensure everything there looks good or should i look for something else first?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You may also have a broken or worn clutch spring or notched clutch basket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts