Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys/gals

My weekend was ruined due to a gremilin in my bikes electricals.

Some back ground info

Bike is a 2000 R6 Carbie

I first noticed the bike doing funny things last weekend

Out riding and all of a sudden speedo (its digital LCD) begins to fade away....this is accentuated but a fluttering Tacho needle every time i use the indicators and after a couple of minutes the bike begins to back fire and spluter and die

Pull over try to crank it over...nothing!

My mate gives me a push start i things get going again, all dials working and i get riding again.

Decide to go home as dont like the idea of bike cutting out mid corner or having to push/tow her home.

Gety home pull battery out and give a good over night charge put back in bike and all is ok....for now

Fast forward to this weekend....
Starts okay...sweet........ begin ride to national pk

Ride to parra from blacktown and bike beggins to show above symptoms again

Luckily coast into bike biz from m4 and grumpily purchase new battery (thinking my 5 y.o battery is dead) install start and ride away....

Get to bankstown........ bike packs it in AGAIN!!!! 2nd ride ruined and get trailer out to tow her home...

Now ive checked all fuses, earth is fine and i have a brand new battery (that has now been fully charged)

Before i started bike (with fully charged batt) the voltage showing was 13ish volts.

1 start later the voltage has dropped to 12.6V
I leave the bike running and observe the follwing
Steadily the voltage beggins to drop 12.6, 12.5, 12.4, 12.3,12.2, 12.1, 12.0, 11.9, 11.8........ You get the gist

I feel that the bike is not charging the batter whilst running, which would suggest why the bike has died after about 30 mins running...with the above symptoms...

Now my questions
What would more likely be the fault
Battery??? Probably not...brand new

Connections??? everything runs ok but it appears to fade away with constant running

Alternator???

Regulator???

Magneto???

Im betting thats its one of the last 3,
which one charges the battery whislt running?
Has any one had to change a Alternator/regulator/magneto before on a R6 are they expensive to get from wreckers?

I know its long winded but any thoughs would be "greatly" appreciated

p.s Bike is standard ie stick globes, indicators if this helps
:cheers

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow. That sounds awfully familiar to my problem this past summer.

I had all of those "symptoms" so I ordered a new battery from an online motorcycle store. I got the new battery in and it started right up, but ended up dying in two days. Called my mechanic and he said it seems to be the battery. So I brought that battery and my bike in ( he put the new battery on a trickle charge- said some new batteries need it before using). After this it runs fine...then dies two days later. So I'm pissed now, but my mechanic is SURE it is the battery, so he orders me a new one from a local manufactuer ($140!!!). I'm kind of mad because my old battery only costs $60. Well I get the second new battery in, put it on a trickle charge, and then my bike runs fine for the rest of the year!

I ended up being able to return the 1st new battery, and bought the $140 one.

I understand your pain with not knowing what it could be and how high the fix could possibly cost you. I always thought it was the alternator on my bike.

Good Luck :cheers

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, you need to see if the battery is charging while it's running.

SHould read around 13v at 3000rpms.

Also, check the wiring harness on the voltage regulator, if it looks melted at all or anything it could be regulator/rectifier. (Common problem)

If that doesnt seem to be it, you might have a problem with the stator, if you think that, you'll need to do some testing with an ohmeter to make sure all is good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RedlineR6 said:
Yeah, you need to see if the battery is charging while it's running.

SHould read around 13v at 3000rpms.

Also, check the wiring harness on the voltage regulator, if it looks melted at all or anything it could be regulator/rectifier. (Common problem)

If that doesnt seem to be it, you might have a problem with the stator, if you think that, you'll need to do some testing with an ohmeter to make sure all is good.
Yeah i checked the battery whilst running and it slowy discharges...looks as if the bike is running soley of the battery which would explain cut out after 30 or so mins running.

R6reddevil
thanks for your love dude..............its pissing me off as im losing confidence in the running of my bike, puts me off rides as i'll not know if she wont play up :cuss

Does anyone kniow where the regulator on a 2000 R6 is??

Whjat about the Alternator too where is that hiding?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Damn that sucks, that is a drawback of owning a sportbike. parts aren't cheap.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think, think the regulator is underneath the tank and connected to where the battery box is...uggghhh I might be wrong- It looks like a black rectangle box (at least on my 02 it does) Dont get discouraged and pissed at the bike, I completely understand the feeling. If i had my manual here I'd scan the pic for you, but its at home.

Sorry, good luck again!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
What i was saying was to check the charging AT the battery while it is running. If at 3000rpm's, you aren't getting 12-13.0/13.5v's, you aren't getting good enough charge.

If you are getting over 13.5volts, you are overcharging and killing your battery. And is often related to the voltage regulator/rectifier.

You also need to do a load test on the battery.....it might hold a charge of volts, but no load. If it won't hold a load, it's shot.

And...the regulator rectifier is on the subframe, below the seat. It's a black box about 3"x3" with heat displacement fins on it. Looks like a miny stereo amplifier. If you look up from teh back of the bike and on the bottom side, you should see it directly under the seat area, buy the top shock mount.....around there, you'll see it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I figured you'd be sharing that with us soon enough :cheers

Now go get her runnin!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Issues solved :mrgreen: :boob

as mentioned earlier i had a earth fried in the harness so i cut it out and connected a female connector and soldered direct to RR

Its all good...bring on the weekend blat :jump :jump

Thanks guys for you help :cheers

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
When I had my 2001 Cali Model the rectifier went out on it and fried 2 wires. If you go through a Yamaha discounted parts warehouse place you should be able to get one anywhere from $60-$70

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had the same problem on my '02. Just to throw my .02 in, double check to make sure there isn't another fried wire somewhere on the bike. I know on mine, I had the same issue, same symptoms, and did the same fix, yet the problem came back again and again. After asking around a bit, I am currently in the process of stripping the bike down and looking for burnt wires throughout the bike. Hopefully I'll be able to find something and fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts