Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Controlling the upper injectors isn't necessary. It is a worth a little bit of power, but we're not talking huge differences. Especially for the additional price. I was asked about the secondary module on another forum, and personally I think I'd buy the ignition module, followed by the quick shift, before the secondary fuel module, it's definitely at the end of the list. That being said, I'm not sure I'm going to be willing to drop that kind of money for more add-ons at this point. For all that money, I'd be tempted to add a YEC, and still just fine tune with my PCV and AutoTune on top of that.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Added a section for PCV software, will include how-tos that sort of thing, for the moment, just a Firmware update how-to.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Updated a few of the existing sections, and added an install section, that is still definitely a work in progress.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A few more updates. Nothing major, the how-to section still needs quite a bit of work.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
this is great information, thank you

I recently ordered an olson y-pipe (already have an aftermarket slip on). I understand why it is recommened to run a fuel management system, am i going to cause any damage to the bike when I run my slipon/y-pipe setup without it?

edit: i plan to leave the cat in place, and cut the muffler out

·
TAKE THOSE CAMPERS OUT!
48 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but:

Do I need a servo eliminator plug if I'm installing smog block off plates? I read some other threads and I'm a little confused. I couldn't find any answers with a forum search.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
, am i going to cause any damage to the bike when I run my slipon/y-pipe setup without it?
I recently did a dyno run with with my PCV and AutoTune disabled, and was actually surprised at how rich the factory settings where. It won't make as much power without the fuel controller, but my bike stayed on the safe side of rich pretty much everywhere. I'd don't see if causing any damage.

Here are the AFR numbers if you want to look at them. <-- The one weird spike is pretty much a characteristic of not having the EXUP and valve overlap.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Probably a stupid question, but:

Do I need a servo eliminator plug if I'm installing smog block off plates? I read some other threads and I'm a little confused. I couldn't find any answers with a forum search.
No the EXUP eliminator plug and smog block off plates are not related in anyway really. You can do just the smog block off plates.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Anyone got anymore ideas for new topics?
amazing read. i vote for a sticky. wish i was able to read this when i did all these upgrades. :fact

one thing i'd like to see is how to read/learn about air to fuel ratio. like how to adjust using those numbers. like what is too lean and what is too rich for the bike when trying to tune it using a autotune or a ZAFM.

great read never the less.

probably could throw in the EXUP DIY in here some where too.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
one thing i'd like to see is how to read/learn about air to fuel ratio. like how to adjust using those numbers. like what is too lean and what is too rich for the bike when trying to tune it using a autotune or a ZAFM.
Excellent idea, Started a section for that here, it's the second topic.

I maintain a fairly large FAQ for a Jeep forum and have a credits section too, I'll have to create a credits section for this one as well and give you credit for the idea.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Added:

- Calibrating Throttle Position

Includes detailed description with pictures of how to enter diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
30 Posts
First I would like to thank you for all the work, it really helped me a lot!

I just finished the welding and painting today and welded the MJS mid-pipe onto my stock headers. It runs terrible now without power commander so i'm planning to buy one this week. I have a question about the MJS map you provided. I now run everything stock so stock air filter and slip-on just deleted the big box and the cat. Can I use this MJS map? I don't know what this map includes but hope you can help me out.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Due to all the variables you'll probably still have to try a few maps and see what you like best. Technically that MJS map, was done for a MJS Header, GYTR slip on, aftermarket air filter. However most people find the MJS map works well for them, even with just the mid-pipe.

·
Darth Vader
391 Posts
Great work out there ... descriptive and informative with a nice pictorial representation.

Couple of questions :

1. You posted maps for the Bazzaz unit on your post #3. Which year R6 is it for? Because, on the Bazzaz website there is no map for the Graves System. My bike is 07 R6 with Graves System. [Reason : I had maps for 91 and 98 gas on a built motor which is destroyed now and i am using a stock motor. I just want to use the selftune Z-AFM to start with, but wanted a base map to compare]

2. I plan to have a standby exhaust system with the stock header, stock can (as you described).[due to sound restriction at one of the local track]. In another thread [http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-maintenance-technical/158716-05-header-07-r6-complete.html] it is not mentioned to enlarge the flange holes, but other posts i see folks enlarging? Also, if i use the MJS header OR stock header with mid-pipe and buy a stock can, can i just eliminate the EXUP servo motor installed on the can [I currently have Graves system and my ECU is reflashed, so it should not throw any code]. I just need a "quieter" exhaust system.

3. When installing smog block-off plates, the reed valve "fins/plates" held by one screw need to be removed. Also there is a grate underneath it, that need to be removed too. I didnt see it mention in your HOW-TO.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,448 Posts
Wow looks like lots of good info! Will give it a read when I get home!

:cheers

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
1. You posted maps for the Bazzaz unit on your post #3. Which year R6 is it for? Because, on the Bazzaz website there is no map for the Graves System. My bike is 07 R6 with Graves System. [Reason : I had maps for 91 and 98 gas on a built motor which is destroyed now and i am using a stock motor. I just want to use the selftune Z-AFM to start with, but wanted a base map to compare]
Those Bazzaz maps where converted from the PCV maps straight from the DynoJet website.

2. I plan to have a standby exhaust system with the stock header, stock can (as you described).[due to sound restriction at one of the local track]. In another thread [http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-maintenance-technical/158716-05-header-07-r6-complete.html] it is not mentioned to enlarge the flange holes, but other posts i see folks enlarging? Also, if i use the MJS header OR stock header with mid-pipe and buy a stock can, can i just eliminate the EXUP servo motor installed on the can [I currently have Graves system and my ECU is reflashed, so it should not throw any code]. I just need a "quieter" exhaust system.
Most say the holes do need to be slightly enlarged. I have come across a couple people say they did not need to though. Enlarging the holes isn't that big of a deal though. I will be adding that into the FAQ though, as I meant to mention it. Thanks!

If you use an MJS header or mid-pipe with a stock slip-on your bike will be pretty loud. (If you use the stock header with the muffler (box underneath the bike) still on it wont be that loud, obviously.) The factory slip on does not really muffle anything, it just houses the EXUP, which helps with low end power (Except I'm guessing you have a YEC since you said the ECU is reflashed, will the YEC still support the EXUP?). Yes you can remove it from the stock slip-on though if you wish. Leaving the cables off will cause the valve to stay open (it has a spring on it), removing it from the slip on altogether is a bit more difficult.

3. When installing smog block-off plates, the reed valve "fins/plates" held by one screw need to be removed. Also there is a grate underneath it, that need to be removed too. I didnt see it mention in your HOW-TO.
Those don't need to be removed. You can remove them to help save shed a few more ounces, but they can be left in.

21 - 40 of 456 Posts