Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. I'll be getting out of Iraq in a few months and I plan on getting an 08 R6 Cadmium Yellow w/ Black Flames. This will be the first bike that I will OWN but I have ridden a few time before (04 GSXR750). I have never rode an R6 but all I hear is good things. So what I would like to know, is this a suitable bike for the experience that I have? I'm 26, married, and have a son. So it's not like I'm an immature kid. I've seen what can happen on bikes and I respect everything that goes along with riding. If the 08 R6 is going to be a little much for me, please make suggestions on a different ride.

Thanks for any help.

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
I say go for it. The bike will only go as fast as you want it to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i think the vote is gonna be split about 50/50. honesty you should prolly start out on something smaller, but thats a hassle and most people dont. are you lucky?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I would start with a SEARCH. This has been discussed a thousand times.

FYI, nothing spells S-Q-U-I-D like a week-old rider on a new $10,000 machine... that happens to be painted with yellow and black flames all over it. giggity giggity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ryan said:
I would start with a SEARCH. This has been discussed a thousand times.

FYI, nothing spells S-Q-U-I-D like a week-old rider on a new $10,000 machine... that happens to be painted with yellow and black flames all over it. giggity giggity.

As far as the paint goes, I love the 03 black w/red flames and was going to get one of those used but I can't find one that has somewhat low miles or hasn't been f***ed up. And when I saw the new one, I figure why not get one of those.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd seriously get a used one cause if you lay it down you'e going to hate yourself and not even because you made a mistake, but beacause its going to cost about 3k just get it back to where it was before, and even at that point you'll have a bike that was previously wrecked.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my opinion the R6 is not a good first bike. It has too much power and the throttle is too twitchy. You will be a better rider in the long run if you start out on a smaller bike such as a Ninja 250, 500, 650R, Suzuki 650, etc. Age and marital status are not a substitute for riding experience. Some people do just fine with an R6 as a first bike, but you better position yourself to succeed on a smaller first bike. Plus, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
just to let you know i agree with all of the above, start on an older bike period. cause WHEN you drop it wont suck as bad, dropping a $4k bike vs $10k bike, yeah we would all be heartbroke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that I stated that I had ridden a GSXR750 a few times, but I grew up riding dirt bikes. I know there is a huge difference, but the basics are basics.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
starting out on someting less than a 600 is more expensive in the long run. u will be tired of the smaller bike and will have to worry about selling it, then getting used to a bigger bike once you do upgrade.

as for me my first bike was a 04 R1 which i learned on, got used to then sold, now i have an 07 R6. IMO starting on the R1 made me a MUCH better rider, esp when i switched to the 6

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first bike was the R6 and it worked out great for me. I bought it brand new and like somebody said earlier, it will only go as fast as you want it to. If you are a decent rider then I see no reason why you can't ease into the 08 R6. Good luck.

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
I started on the R6 never riding before and It worked out for me.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
OC949rider said:
Age and martial status are not a substitute for riding experience.
Wait, so being a black belt versus only having taken a few karate classes doesn't change things in this case? :poke

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
i got 1-year used r6 as my 1st bike - love it.... remember u r in control - keep it in your limits and learn step by step....
pricewise i'd recommend to get something used though... my body got ninja 250 rode for 2 months got bored still trying to sell - hussle....

·
Registered
26 Posts
forget the nubs that say start on something smaller. honestly while there is a good amount of power in the r6 when the rev's start to pick up. the lower rpms are more than adequate to handle for someone starting on bikes. so whoever said it is twitchy LOL, this is not a liter bike.

secondly if you buy the bike you want from the start, it saves costs on all those pos you gonna go through to learn on, plus they would have worse handling/heavier/worse brakes/shit power/ etc than if you bought the r6.

if you think you will have enough self control to keep you out of trouble on it, then there is no reason why u shouldnt just straight up buy it dude. oh yeah and make sure u gear up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
GEORGERE said:
got ninja 250 rode for 2 months got bored still trying to sell - hussle....
and that is very important, because if you do start small that is exactly what is going to happen to you. complete pain in the ass, and you wont be happy until you have your r6 too.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts