Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a new rider, but I noticed in the beginning people (including myself) would get flamed big time for choosing an R6 as a first bike. As I've said in my other post, I've only been trying out a YZF600R for no more than a couple of months, and just recently have been trying out an 03 R6. Honestly, it feels GREAT, and very user friendly. I can't see myself not recommending it as a first bike w/ the exception of being smart about things (hot-shotting, bonehead mistakes obviously) and at the same time recommending the MSF course. Anyone agree...disagree?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do as you please. I think since it is the lightest 600 out there at low speeds the 6 is very forgiving. Take it easy. I mean very easy!

Learn how to ride and build your skills along the way. I know after while you'll start to think that you got the hang of it and want to venture off and rider harder but keep in mind that everything you do has consequences.

Altimately everything you do from your bike of choice to how you ride it is on you. take your own risks, just don't endanger other riders or other people by the choices you make. This is the hype i think everyone is so worried about. "Just keep it safe for you and everyone else around you."

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
actually for me my '03 R6 is my first bike. i had it for a month now and love it. i have experience with dirt bikes and some sport bikes but never got serious. i dont have my license yet, just my learner permit. i used to ride illegal, no license or helmet. i am currently taking the MSF course. will finish up this weekend and hopefully pass this course.

if you like the feel for the R6. get it. i did. actually i got mine for the awesome power to weight ratio and excellent reviews.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got an '03 R6 for my first bike... don't worry, you'll be fine. Just don't be stupid cause you WILL die quick, and I almost have (not really from my fault either). Be alert, cautious and always on your guard. Keep it in the gear lower so you can get out of something if need be. And take that course if you haven't, it'll save your life...
Other than that, respect the power, and don't endanger anyone else while doing it.

-Solace

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
R6 is the best bike for a first bike...Ive said that a few times in other threads.

Just be careful, as soon as you begin to think you are ANY better than you are...she WILL bite you in the ass...

Stay below 8000rpms until you learn to ride, think of the top of the powerband as a reward for becoming a good rider - "words of wisdom"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know guys...none of you are worried about laying down a brand new bike? One of the main reasons people argue about getting a new one off the bat is the fact the a beginner is most likely to lay it down...either by accident or just bonehead mistakes.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would be very worried about buying a brand new bike...

Any brand new bike is a horrible first bike.

i said an R6 is a good 1st bike, but not a new one. Get like a 99 or a 00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jasamb said:
I would be very worried about buying a brand new bike...

Any brand new bike is a horrible first bike.

i said an R6 is a good 1st bike, but not a new one. Get like a 99 or a 00

Ahhh...this makes much more sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jasamb said:
Stay below 8000rpms until you learn to ride, think of the top of the powerband as a reward for becoming a good rider - "words of wisdom"
That's assuming someone is actually responsible.

Picture this - You're under 25 and you get a R6. You tell yourself you're going to keep it under 8000rpms for a little while to learn how to ride. How long is that going to last? Until you find a nice stretch of road with no one on it and your brand new (or "new to you") R6 suddenly starts talking and it says "Do it... just do it... pull the throttle back and do it you p***y!". :) :)

I still don't think anyone should have an R6 as a first bike unless your very mature. In other words, more mature than me. I had a F3 for a couple years and put tons of miles on it before this bike and STILL get an evil grin with a twist of my hand and the Hindel screams on my R6.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As everyone else seems to agree, the biggest thing is responsibility and control. Be aware of your surroundings. I've found I need to drive for the idiots around me, too. My first bike was an 84 honda 500cc. Good bike, and I think I could have handled more, but it was fun. You dont have to worry about hurting it too much if you make a mistake.

My only concern is that if you are on cold tires/slick pavement and you are still learning about cornering, one little slip of the wrist and the bike will b$*ch slap you onto the road. And in a panic, whatever you do dont grab too big a handful of front brake, or you may be OTB. It's all about your own self control, I think.

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
514 Posts
hey guys well i am a newbie at this site for no more than 5 mins. haha. well i'm hoping to register for class on mon. (if its not full already) and i too plan on making the 02 R6 my first bike. i have never even gotten on to a bike before and i know i would get flamed for this but i feel that if i take it really easy than i can get used to it (i hope). well my only advice to you is to maybe get a used bike, than it wouldn't hurt as much IF you drop it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree that with any bike you ride, you are in full control of how much trouble you do or don't get into. I have had my 04 R6 since the end of October and it is my first bike. I love it, but I am 31 and have waited 15 years to be ready for the responsibility of a sport bike on the street. My only advice to those that choose use over new is get an independent review of the bike you are buying. My friend bought a used Zx-11 for 6k and has spent almost as much after the engine went south after his first month on it. I myself prefer to spent an extra 3k up front and put all of the scratches, dings and abuse on it myself. Ride smart and live well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got a 05 R6 as my first bike I'm also 31 and have waited a while before I got one.I respect it and know I'm a new rider so I take it very easy

·
Registered
650 Posts
my 05 r6 was my 1st bike.. take the msf course

DONT DO BIKE NITES... only ride with friends who wont do stupid shit.. and u'll be fine..

ride in ur limits.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My first bike was an R6 and im 18, i saved my money and finally bought it. I think it is a great first bike as long as u respect it u will be fine. just take it slow to begin with.
and ride by your self for a wile so u wont be as tempted to show off or do something u will regret

·
Where'd He Go?!
318 Posts
My first bike is my 02 r6 that I have now, and yea, I've made a few stupid mistakes but nothing that has harmed me or anyone else...Just enough to keep me in check to show me the power of the 6. She's a bitch and she will let you know if you start to take her for granted. Treat her good and she'll treat you good!

·
Eliminating Chickenstrips
1,566 Posts
The R6 is my first bike. I've learned quite much on it.

·
Flyin' and Ridin'
56 Posts
My 03 R6 is my first bike, and it nice to learn on. I'm 24 and financially stable enough to have some cash to through into this money pit of riding. If i had it my way, 21 would be the minimum age for owning a motorcycle. I hate 18 dumbass kids who get their uncle to co-sign their loan on a bike and then tear ass all over town and give every other rider the steriotypical bad reputation. Its all a maturity thing. A 6 is a good starter bike if you can granny shift it for a couple of months. I rode in a parking lot for 2 weeks before i would get into traffic just to fine tune quick stops, swerves, take offs, and so on.

Last thing for all you 18 and bulletproof: If you can't afford the gear, you can't afford the bike.

·
My R6 eats YOU!
574 Posts
i know you guys will hate what i'm about to say, but oh well. i got the 06 R6 as my first bike. yea, i know, i've heard it all before. but like everyone else says, its on you. i was told to keep it below 8k till i got better at riding and i did. i thought about what the person had said and decided tha it was in my best intrest that i took the advice. i've already put almost 4000 miles on it and i still catch myself in the moment, probably not going TOO fast, but faster than i should be and force myself to slow down. i haven't dropped my bike, and i havent been in an accident, yet. (knock on wood). i have had close calls with slow speed turns and what not, but as you all know the bike is extremely light so i was able to save it.

just remember that the throttle DOES go two ways and you'll be good. and like they said, be carefull.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts