Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
You're arguing apples to oranges here. The objective facts are that ABS models are statistically safer than non ABS models. 37% lower fatal crash rate between non ABS and ABS bikes of the same model. There's a myriad of reasons why track guys don't use certain things found on street vehicles. Just cause Marc Marquez rides a bike with no headlights, your street bike shouldn't have headlights?? They're riding around a silky smooth circuit with no traffic, no gravel, no road hazards. They crash? They go into a gravel pit...MAYBE a tire wall. Totally different than tucking your front tire on the street and ending up underneath an oncoming car. The reality of it is that although these guys might not have mirrors, headlights, ABS, etc on their race bikes, they have them on their personal bikes. Rossi's custom XJR1300 is equipped with ABS. ABS changes the way a bike corners on the track and would also remove a lot of the competitive nature of racing if everyone braked exactly the same way.

Not everyone has an extra 1000-1500 dollars to spend on an ABS bike. Just because McDonald's sells the most burgers, doesn't mean they have the best burgers. It's pretty much a given that the average consumer would buy something for $10.97 over something that's $10.99, even if the latter had more product.

If you just want to commute around town, there's no reason not to get an ABS bike. If you want to be billy badass and spend 300 bucks times 10 riding courses, go for it.
thanks for the tl;dr post. You are, in fact, completely ignorant. You are exactly the type of rider Im talking about. I asked you to provide me 1 example of a racer using ABS... you try to throw statistics. Youre like the Loud Pipes Save Lifes set. Just imagine what you could save learning to ride.
I now know to ignore any future posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Congrats for getting under TB's skin. 😂 Normally it's the other way around.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
ABS is the buzzword of the year..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin. It's an asinine idea that a newer rider shouldn't get ABS just because it's not used on track bikes, and is slower around a circuit than highly skilled braking. There are many fast guys that are very high up in the track bike world that vouch for ABS on the street. There are many (probably most) world class racers that use ABS on their personal street bikes.

Having some 'super motorcycle racer' tell a newer rider that ABS is "cheating", or doesn't stop as quick as a professional racer on a track, is quite honestly embarrassing.

You'll never convince someone of an idea when the person you're talking to thinks they're a better rider than Marc Marquez...never going to happen. Marc Marquez says ABS would remove a lot of the risk from racing and that it's also a great evolution for safety on the street.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
We know no human can out stop ABS with an identical bike but ABS disabled. Some people think they are faster then a 32 bit computer processing wheel speed over 30 times per second. It does take quite a bit for my 17 to activate on dry 100F plus asphalt. But twice people pulled out in front of me and not wanting to tbone them I gave both brakes everything they had and it certainly came on.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Congrats for getting under TB's skin. 😂 Normally it's the other way around.
nah the 2 non riding folks giving ABS felacio arent even worth the keystrokes. The worlds most skilled racers be it 2 or 4 wheels dont use ABS... why is that? controlled environment? series rules?? Because braking is one of the skills fans pay $$$ to see.
Let me cite some stats... 100% of street crashes are the riders fault. No electronic gizmo is going to change that. It might fool some moron that doesnt understand why abs lags on perfect traction conditions.
MotoGP & MotoA should just have ABS equipped bikes and only race them in rainy conditions. Then crew chiefs can deploy outrigger wheels to win world championships...lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
The worlds most skilled racers be it 2 or 4 wheels dont use ABS.
But they do, on their personal street bikes. MM93 vouched heavily for it on a street bike. Literally every top level racer would say ABS is a great thing to have on the street, especially for a beginner to intermediate rider. It's not my goal to become a top 3% racer.

Fault doesn't matter when your bike is a crumpled up pile of aluminum and you're a bloody mess on the pavement. Avoid the accident by any means.

Besides, I thought the whole "I'm better than Rossi" stuff came from these kinds of guys :LOL:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Not to play devil's advocate, but there are circumstances where ABS can dramatically increase stopping distance... and I'm not sure why. Ever see a car coming to a hard stop then inexplicably lurch forward? That's ABS. But I don't think it's necessarily operating as intended under those circumstances. (malfunction) Personally not a fan for much of the nanny-tech either, but that doesn't stop me from realizing its undeniable value for most people. (note: most people aren't track) I buy vehicles that let me FEEL the road. I don't like driving a vehicle that's too floaty/plushy. Reason being, it lets me tell the instant a wheel starts to slip. If I had a "floaty" suspension on a vehicle, I'd probably want ABS on it. ABS aside, I even turned off "Hill Assist" for my manual shift vehicle. Owning nothing but clutches, (so I'm sensitive to it,) it was holding brake ever so slightly longer than was necessary. In addition it kept me from quickly and precisely learning the clutch friction point. (besides that I don't have issues with roll-back anyway) My current car was four years old before I ever managed to activate ABS... and that was extremely brief (and I think unnecessary). Traction Control gets activated from time-to-time just having a little fun on some low-tread tires that need replacing. I can turn that off but this has to be done after every start of the engine.

Bottom line, nanny-tech is good when it's not malfunctioning, but do I want it? Not really. I can see the comfort in being able to grab as much front brake as one wants on a motorcycle.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
ABS always requires full and constant pedal or lever pressure to do its job correctly. People feel the pulsing and let off.. which is wrong. It can also allow you to steer a car around whilest modulating the wheels. Hence people can swerve off the roadway they were travelling on vs full locked tires and steering wheel you still go straight ahead.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
......... It ... also allow .... to steer a car around ......
This is actually the chief purpose for ABS. Not really the stopping distance, but being able to maintain control... enough control to potentially steer a vehicle away from obstacles.

I think all of the technologies are basically designed around the idea that it helps keep the driver from loosing control. (which sounds ironic)

Semi-related side note, I think Stability Control (different from Traction Control) only applies when not on the brake. It doesn't cut throttle, but uses ABS to strategically brake certain wheel(s) as a way of maintaining better yaw control; something standard suspension systems are incapable of doing. (ferromagnetic fluid based suspensions on the otherhand...) Racing tech reportedly applies these ideals to help "point" or "rotate" a car when cornering. I think they call that 'vectoring' or whatever on my car; I forget.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Was it a car from this decade, or even this century?
As you can see, it's a common complaint...
Don't take offense. It's just my personal preference. Not at all saying anything you've communicated about the benefits of ABS is wrong. Some of us just prefer to be cavemen.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
Bmw uses abs for traction control..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some of us just prefer to be cavemen.
I can tell, you're using Bing :LOL: I can't speak for that lunging or lurching. It seems to be an issue with 10-12 year old vehicles and EVs/hybrids. ABS has evolved leaps and bounds since it was conceived in the 1900s and applied to vehicles in the the mainstream (90-00?). Probably wouldn't find that issue on a shiny 2021 R6.

I don't know if I made this clear, but I don't have an ABS bike haha. This is my first vehicle with EFI even. I'm pretty much a carburetor expert and I'm used to using a bent up paperclip for diagnostics hahaha.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
Obd1 short the aldl port to read codes and set timing... good ol' days!

Bing? You mean yahoo or aol?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Wrong on both assumptions.

It's not the same search engine it was ten years ago when it was launched.
Bing like Google, customizes search results for the user.

These are all first page results for my IP.

If your browser is recent enough to support JPEG, these might help...

See the 2018 date? (the cargurus description sounds like an automatic sh*t transmission)

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
Google is the devil. Wrote the play book apple and amazon live by now.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Meh. I use Google too. Don't have a problem with Amazon at all; FleaBay/PayPincher on the otherhand I quit after return/exchange rates exceeded 90%. As a seller you can't make any money without doing high-volume or setting a sky-high price as both FleaBay and PayPincher tax that a$$ like a peeyimp. I haven't liked Apple since the grossly overpriced products and ads claiming their computers don't/can't get malware, don't have any problems; and their "Genious" Bar employees reinforcing that lie. I've fixed enough of them to have seen through that from the moment the campaign launched.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
Well, I would have netscape if my 80486DX still powered on..

21 - 40 of 46 Posts