Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Not to play devil's advocate, but there are circumstances where ABS can dramatically increase stopping distance... and I'm not sure why.

Bottom line, nanny-tech is good when it's not malfunctioning, but do I want it? Not really. I can see the comfort in being able to grab as much front brake as one wants on a motorcycle.
In a 4 wheeled vehicle its a little more effective vs a 2 wheeled one. Plus you have plenty of room for the pump and line routing.
I redid my foresters lines along with the rest of the braking components. Of course the pump had to be cycled and I dont really live near any easements that would allow me to properly
cycle them. Lucky I have a friend that has the proper equipment. Which is hilarious because the #1 complaint on Harleys and BMWs with ABS... the pump stops working from not being cycled enough.
Of course its completely integrated as part of the electronics so you either cough up the $$ for the associated parts or you dont ride that bike.
So basically on a vehicle with ABS you must maintain the fluid and cycle the pump regularly. Something that ties back to skills.
It amuses me some folks will buy a $15,000 R6 but balk at spending $2,000 on actually learning skills to ride it that will be the biggest "mod" one could do to ANY bike. The more bikes you own the cheaper the amortized costs are...lol

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Only if it's ridden on Wednesdays after 4:46PM in the heart of NY city.

Moderator is free to delete the nonsense at thread-owner request. Wouldn't bother me any. 🙂

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's totally possible to do it if you have moderate restraint, which it sounds like you do. I think you're light years ahead of most people being a commercial driver and having to predict idiots all day. The real question is what you plan to do on "off days".

Being 5'6", you may have some issue touching the ground reliably. The inseam is the most important part, not height. I'm 5'10" with a 29 inch inseam, I can't flat foot both feet on my 2005 R6 so I tend to lean the bike over and plant my right foot. There's 5'3" guys riding GSX-R750s so it's always possible if you're willing to risk a couple drops. You can always lower the bike, and you'll want to do that at the front and rear suspension to avoid changing steering geometry.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It amuses me some folks will buy a $15,000 R6 but balk at spending $2,000 on actually learning skills to ride it that will be the biggest "mod" one could do to ANY bike. The more bikes you own the cheaper the amortized costs are...lol
I definitely agree with the above statement, that learning skills to ride whatever bike you have (or fundamentals for riding any bike) is the biggest and best "mod" anyone could make. Sometimes when students of mine are focused on wanting to change everything about the bike, more hp, better brakes, etc, I just ask them if Rossi (or any world-class rider) could ride their bike (AS IS) faster and better than them. The answer is always yes, so then I ask them to look at why. Riding skills and fundamentals go a long way. A lot of the conversation here is about ABS or NO ABS when perhaps it should be more focussed on proper braking technique in general....how do you get the best, most consistent, and safest braking possible? Does it differ whether the bike has ABS or not? How do you define good braking technique?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts