Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

Registered
Looks like Marc should take a few courses at the school, sounds like he can't brake without ABS! 馃榿

"[ABS would ruin racing]... but for safety on the street, on the road, I think it's a great evolution. I hadn't ever tried it, I didn't know how it behaved, so they told me "You go, grab the brakes, and see what happens". It's true, the bike remained straight, something that was previously unthinkable."

Registered
Track slicks are horrible in rain. Besides that, cats hate water. ;)
Even if one doesn't ride in the rain, the streets can still be wet/damp. Painted lines and anything metal (like road plates and manhole covers) can be extremely slippery. There are situations where they cannot be avoided.
Many sport-bike tires require some riding time to heat them up.
Let's not forget that it's Fall. Plenty of leaves in the streets. From what I've read elsewhere in the past, people like to brake into corners, on the streets. Particularly when/where the street sweepers aren't active, it's not unusual to have a little sandy debris build up at intersections that will catch you on the lean. On backroads beyond the city, then there's spillage from unfinished driveways.
and you just named many reasons why the street sucks for your average unskilled Joe/Joette on a motorbike. The second they lay it down or have an incident... Oh these tires suck! Or some other denial tactic. My little 30hp vespa will light the rear tire up on some wet lane lines or cross walk markings and its not even on the throttle stop.
And Im not saying to stop street riding... just use the appropriate tool for it. (scooter or lower power type... no land barges). Lotta folks out there with more "ego" than "skill". I dont care how many years or miles you have under your faux cut.

Registered
meh, I really enjoy having a crotch rocket. I had a serious speeding problem in my Toyotas and daily driver car. I'd be going 20 over no matter what, cutting through traffic... just to get to the next red light lol. Now, after going 140 (previous high score was like 98 passing someone on a two lane road) and having a vehicle that can hit 100mph in 5 seconds or less, I just find myself cruising the speed limit in the right lane more often than not. Seeing what real speed and acceleration was like totally street riding/driving into perspective for me.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
Break 150mph and join the club..

Registered
I'm tapped out on gearing. Even if I did regear, it already hovers just below 15k @ 142mph with the 15/50 sprockets. I don't think the poor thing will carry my fatass past 145.

New job has me slimming faster than I should though. Was down 15lb after two half days and I'm plateaued at a measly 8-10lb per week lol. I guess 150 club is on the horizon 馃槀

Registered
@misti - Never really understood what folks meant by "counter steer".
After reading that, I finally get it. I do get a much quicker response; so much so that even at 40s air temps and cold streets I'm able to hit that last centimeter of chicken-strip. (on well worn Micheline PR4s) Thanks for posting that site! 馃憤 I've heard folks say to "push" on the handlebar and didn't really get that either. Find myself doing doing more pull than push. I'm a featherweight and the pushing on the peg (like pushing the bar) he mentions does little of nothing for me also.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
Do what ever it takes to point the front tire the direction opposite of where you want to go. Easiest practice is to ride on right side of lane approaching a sweeping neutral camber right curve. As you near the turn change to the left side. Then as you change the wheel, the bike will drop to the right. Not being a super human track queen, I have ample time to practice these things like wrist weight/bar death grips.

Registered
U-turn from a standstill... ever been able to get count-steer to play much of a roll there?

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
No inertia. Kawis and Yami fall over easily when you try to ride off stand still full lock steering.

Registered
That page gave me a headache. People actually think you steer a motorcycle by using all your strength to lean it over?

Glad I am self taught and didn't learn how to ride from someone who rides that way.

Registered
No inertia. Kawis and Yami fall over easily when you try to ride off stand still full lock steering.
Okay just confirming. They're top-heavy which just means it's more tricky. It helps to ride the back brake as you lean-in; using the clutch to attenuate throttle control. It's a trick the FJR riders use; though it seems to me they're actually easier to handle at crawl speed.

That page gave me a headache. People actually think you steer a motorcycle by using all your strength to lean it over?

Glad I am self taught and didn't learn how to ride from someone who rides that way.
I'm self-taught as well. For me it's not strength, but finesse. Wouldn't understand anyone trying to "muscle" a bike any more than stomping on the peg either. The bike leans with a shift of body weight. (think of riders literally hanging off the bike on high-speed turns; fighting the forces from the rotating wheels that try to upright the bike) The lean does the turning. The counter-steer generates a much quicker lean response; the quicker response affording riskier lean angles.

EDIT: "liderally" bugged me. Literally never typed that in my life until now. 馃槼

Registered
I'm self-taught as well. For me it's not strength, but finesse. Wouldn't understand anyone trying to "muscle" a bike any more than stomping on the peg either. The bike leans with a shift of body weight. (think of riders liderally hanging off the bike on high-speed turns; fighting the forces from the rotating wheels that try to upright the bike) The lean does the turning. The counter-steer generates a much quicker lean response; the quicker response affording riskier lean angles.
Yeah I get that. But if you read down the page, you see "bull steering" which is the idea you can pull the left bar up, push the right bar down, and it will lean the bike to the right. Crazy that people would think to ride like that. I know motorcycles are somewhat counter intuitive but you should be able to feel what works and what doesn't. Body position is a tool as much as it is a skill. Very important on a track or bombing a twisty road, not so relevant on the freeway to change over one lane as is talked about under "swoopy steering". Just push the bar with one finger and you're over a lane no problem. Why anyone would try to lean like that is beyond me.

Registered
I know you got that LoL... and was agreeing with you. I think the "swoopy" and "bull" are related, if you picture someone standing up on the bike. Can't say I've noticeably observed someone doing that, outside of a movie or dirt track of course.

Registered
Can't say I've noticeably observed someone doing that, outside of a movie or dirt track of course.
yeah cause it doesn't work hahaha. There are times when it's beneficial to put all your weight on one peg but it's definitely not to initiate a turn at speed.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
More air pressure in front tire quickens the steering response. My bt23 was bald. I had to ride 65mi in a monsoon of standing water. Dropped front pressure to widen the patch. Very slow steering! Had to really work the bars.

Registered
Wouldn't the wider patch be more sketchy in rain? I've never had the pleasure of riding a motorcycle in standing water but I feel like my intstict would be to raise the pressure 5-10 PSI to get closer to a pizza cutter profile.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
I was BALD. I needed the chicken strips worth of grip to flatten out to make some traction. Yeah, riding 65mi in half in plus standing water plus the rediculous rate of rain and road spray is sketchy factor.

Registered
Wouldn't the wider patch be more sketchy in rain? I've never had the pleasure of riding a motorcycle in standing water but I feel like my intstict would be to raise the pressure 5-10 PSI to get closer to a pizza cutter profile.
Certainly works that way for snow. Same should be true for rain. Even bald though, never had to worry about hyrdoplane on the moto-tire, as opposed to the cars which would begin to hydroplane at 70 or below as the tread hit the wear-mark. Prior car I avoided the highway altogether for a few days once it became clear that I couldn't even maintain 60. The moto-tire has a "V" (new) or "U" (worn) profile where tread isn't quite as critical as it is with the square-tire car.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
Leaned over on a "slick" /\ shaped tire is not fun at all. Ride safe guys!

Registered
I just talk tough :p

my actual instinct is to park under something and wait it out. I know motorcycles have a surprising amount of grip in the rain, but my brain isn't going to comprehend that. I've been threatened by rain twice, both times I was flying 100mph down a 45 trying to get home. Then it rained like .00125 inches...yeah I'm a wimp when it comes to rain.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts